The Dark Mod Forums

Are there any fellow musicians here?

Sir Taffsalot

I've been playing the guitar for 15 years and can bang out a tune on the bass and a beat on the drums. I want to learn another instrument and am currently torn between the violin and the piano. At the moment I'm leaning to play music by Bach on the guitar. I've always been a fan of Bach but two years ago i went to Wave Gotik treffen in Leipzig Germany which coincided with Bach fest. During the day the street was filled with talented musicians playing the music of Bach and I've been inspired to learn as mush of his music as I can. I'm currently working my way through the Goldberg Variations

I'm sure we have lots of misicians here. So what do you play and what music do you like playing?

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Well... I'm a part, part, very part* electronic musician. I make like.. Ambient tracks and different types of electronic music just as a way to relax.

I did play the guitar a few years back, never got into it that deep. But I am planning on buying a bass guitar... for that funky stuff. :)

I try... That's the gist of it.

Edit: Also, as for electronic music I've now moved over to just using tracker programs to make music. I'm mostly interested in making chiptunes, so it's all that I need right now.

* = I want to dedicate more time for it, but I've got like 3 other "hobbies" I really love doing so balancing time is a bit of an issue...

Edited by GameDevGoro

I play guitar & piano, but piano is where I'm more practiced.

On guitar I liked to play Django Rhienhart tunes & manoche style generally... Rhythm is called the manoche pump (you make a three string chord & BOOM-chick-a it, boom on the bass and chick-a on the top two notes), and then lead are these fast swing runs. I love it.

On piano I'll play a lot of jazz, stride or modern: James Johnson, Fats Waller, Earl Hines, Bill Evans, Bud Powell, Chick Corea, Erroll Garner, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Hiromi Uehara, Brad Mehldau... -- or some baroque, classical, or romantic: Buxtehude, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, Chopin, Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Scriabin, MacDowell... I'd play forever if I could.

Edit: In college I took a course on pipe organ as well -- that's actually where the Buxtehude & Bach really came in (Fats Waller was also an accomplished organist), and if anyone asks I'd tell them it's worth learning. If you're interested in Bach, his organ pieces are the height of his work. It's a very precise and empowering instrument, sitting in your booth with total control over all the stops, three staves of keys, and the foot petals; moving your whole body with the kind of precision that baroque music is known for.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a little bit of a lot of genres. I have been playing the guitar and singing since I was 13 (26 now). Played local acoustic shows when I was 16, formed a blues rock band at 20, and fronted an original new rock band at 22. I travel a lot with my job now, so I haven't played any shows in about 3 years. I was also a member of a rap/rock production company for about a year, and my good friend and I have been putting our music up online as we have the time (hip-hop, rock, acoustic, electronica, dubstep, beats...basically anything that we wanna play around with).

I'm not a guitar god nor am I a vocal master, but I consider myself decent. Music is more of a hobby to me now, something to do when I am home and have the time. I have a fully loaded home studio in my house (my version of a man-cave). I can play a little bass, piano, harmonica, and drums. The next thing I'm going to learn is the violin. Can't wait to get home and start!

Lately, the thought of trying ambient music has been interesting to me, as well as composing directly for a scripted scene.

I'm new to these forums and lack the skill to contribute towards the technical side of Fan Missions, but maybe I could help with music, voice work, sample photography, or story concepts. I feel guilty for playing TDM with the lights off and a smile on my face without contributing something!

• Like 1

Ninja, please!