The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Old Habits by Obsttorte (2012/10/19)

Obsttorte

Mission Rating  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Appearence

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

good to hear you liked it, thanks

and in regard to your spoiler

it is possible to ghost the upper floor, but you have to knock out the guard with the attic key via a gas arrow

so it would be 99% stealth ;)

but yeah, I guess I'll change that in my update ^_^

You don't have to knock out the guy with the attic key. I followed him twice down the hall and picked the lock on the Trophy Room. It took two times to get it unlocked for me cause I have lock picking on expert but once you get that door open you can follow him down the hall and go in there and keep the door ajar a little. Then when he walks past on his rounds, you can walk out lean forward and grab the key. Then go back in the room and wait from him to do another round.

Then you have to time the loud wooden attic footsteps as they get more distant with the guard outside the trophy room door with the torch and slide over to the attic door and you're in. I did gas arrow the guy in the attic room but its not needed. I did it so I could explore freely with my lantern on. Yeah, not sure why that door won't open once the crates are moved but you did provide a way around over the top so... ::thumbs up::

Also, the upper floor past the attic hallway with the marble floors was difficult for sure but I completed with out using any water arrows (didn't have any left by that time), or knocking out any guards.

Great mission, challenging and a lot of fun. Thanks Obsttorte. Going to play the new Old Habits now.

Edited by Lux

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to flag up that I can't get 2.0 to register this mission.

Tried the in-game downloader - came back with an error message and nothing appeared in the fms folder. Downloaded it from southquarter.com and put it in my fms folder, but it doesn't show up in the available missions page. Dl'd from fidcal.com - same result.

Just downloaded Glenham Tower in-game with no problems. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe a problem with the link. I wanted to fix that mission anyways, as it contains some major bugs.

I would advise playing the rebuild (which is much better from the replies I got) until I've updated this one.

If you don't wanna wait, you can also try the link at the first page.

EDIT: It seems I've fixed that mission and uploaded it. Will contact Springheel.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yes.

• 3 months later...

You have to get by the bushes so you are standing directly behind the statue.

• 3 months later...

I'm stuck

where I'm supposed to fire arrows of the four elements. I did a mistake and I fired water, fire, moss and gas. Then I saw that nothing was happening and I tried to invert water and fire (fire first, water next) but nothing happens no matter the order. What I'm doing wrong?

Edited by melrief

System76 Gazelle professional with Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 8GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp8

Hi Melrief: You are actually refering to Old Habits (Rebuild), however. There are two hints to solve this puzzle:

1. the first hint tells you in which order you have to use the elemental arrows
  2. the second hint tells you where to start with the first element

The solution is

1. The picture you are getting shows you, that a normal flame (fire) is burning on the second torch
  2. continue with the other elements in order from there, so the second torch gets fire, the third torch the second element and so one til the first torch which gets the fourth element

Btw.: You are not stuck, solving this puzzle is not neccessary to finish the mission. It was actually designed a bit hard so only some people manage to solve it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Attempted this one four times over now without beating it, I do recognise though that it is very well made, and to be fair I have never been especially good at clicking things the right time and quickly slipping by people-business, but it sure gives a thrill! I'd have one complaint with regards to the structure of it, with the tools you are given at the start, it's difficult to plan how and when to use them as it isn't immediately clear how very large this mission is, or what kind of situation you can expect to come across. I used the gas arrow on three guards on the first floor and also wasted my water arrows before I knew about the very tricked out guards on floor two the first time I played.

The scaling of difficulty as you approach the finer areas in the building is a very good tool of communicating how you are getting deeper into where you shouldn't be.

There is great use of carried torches and areas without blind spots, and you really need to think and use all you can get your hands on to get through them, either that or be very good at using a sword!

I gave the mission good-to-excellent ratings, even though I can't seem to finish it, and I hope that tells you just how impressed I am!

Thanks. :)

Yeah, the difficulty is high, but that's intented. ;)

• 1 year later...

It seems I'm stuck.

How does the lever work? It should allow access to the treasures in the upper floor, right? I use it with the machine in the basement and I hear clicking sound but still there is no result. I'm tired of running to the upper floor and back again. :huh:

Edit:

for me the lever didn't fall into place, into the machine. Somehow I managed to do it from the 10th attempt maybe. Dunno what was with it.

Aaaand I finished the mission. It's hard, really, one of the hardest, maybe (I played it on max. difficulty). All in all it's nice, but the lever situation spoilt it. Also I as well experienced some troubles wielding an oar.

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 1 year later...

A great mission overall !

The main thing I did not like: the amount of helmed guards, especially with torches. Too late I realized that they don't know how to relight their torch after a water arrow...

The main thing I liked: the amount of keys and secrets in the map! I have found a bit more than half of the total loot (including gallery), and I did not find a key to only one big metal chest. I wonder how many secrets I have missed =)

Also, I must admit that I got caught a lot and had to save/load like mad :o

I had big problems with getting into the attic. I had to read this topic about where I'm supposed to get the key. I looked carefully at each guard in order to notice a key if he had one, but it was almost impossible to see the key on this guy. And I used flash bomb to steal the key (gas arrow was used on someone else).

The other problem was that I could not actually get two gold bottles in one drawers. It is located in the room of the main guard, and it can only be opened when you hit a switch on the nearby wall. No matter how I leaned, crouched, jumped, runned around clicking like mad, I did not manage to collect these two pieces of loot.

Glad you liked it! :)

It is my fist mission and it has a lot of flaws, so sorry when you got frustated. As it has been a few years since its creation I honestly cannot remember much of it and will probably not be of much help for any issues occoured. But as you seem to were able to finish the mission I guess overall everything is fine :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is an amazing mission, I had a lot of fun with the first part, but have yet to play the second part. I do, however have a question. I have finished all the objectives on the hardest difficulty, but finding the final painting, and I cant for the life of me find it. I've found paintings in the Basement, Attic, Gallery, and the big dining room thing upstairs, but I cant find the final. Any hints?

check the inner yard (witht he bow targets). There is an angled roof with a window. You can access it.

• Like 1

Also, small bug report (i think?) I had gas arrow'd the facemask guard downstairs and he didnt die (which i think to be intentional? just mentioning this just in case) But after going upstairs and turning the lever behind the statue, every couple minutes i would randomly get a mission failed for killing someone (which I didn't do?). I'm not really sure why, I mentioned the gas arrow thing just in case.

That's odd. But it doesn't sound mission specific. Maybe some clipping issue or so. Sorry :(

• 5 years later...

The mission has been given a small maintenance update to ensure it'll remain compatible with a tweak to custom assets handling - there should be no changes visible ingame. Some clutter like old snapshots of the map file has also been removed so that it's become a smaller download than before. Update provided by Obsttorte.

• Like 2