The Dark Mod Forums

Keyboard-issue in new version 1.08

Guest john

Hi

Two problems here in the new version:

1. If I want to run (shift and up-arrow), i have to press the arrow-key first; otherwise the running-mode don't work. The order the keys are pressed should be not important: This disturbs while i have to sneak, follow or flee.

2. If i run and want to move to a side (strafe) during running (press left or right-arrow key additional) then i am slowing down instead continue running. (tdm switches back to walk-mode !) Thats new in this version and it seems to be a bug.

Edited by john

In linux, the key config is generally fucked up, to the poin that there are some keys i can't use. I can't recall exactly what was the problem, but it exists, and is related to

1) the key string is 'wrong' as for instance: 0x00 for up arrow

2) the key is duplicated if 'configurated' (!) ie: all arrow keys are 0x00

Basically i had some keys i couldn't touch for reconfig. This is maybe due to my laptop keyboard, which might not be standard.

It wasn't really important to me though, since those keys can be avoided.

Edited by i30817

In linux, the key config is generally fucked up, to the poin that there are some keys i can't use. I can't recall exactly what was the problem, but it exists, and is related to

1) the key string is 'wrong' as for instance: 0x00 for up arrow

2) the key is duplicated if 'configurated' (!) ie: all arrow keys are 0x00

Basically i had some keys i couldn't touch for reconfig. This is maybe due to my laptop keyboard, which might not be standard.

It wasn't really important to me though, since those keys can be avoided.

Yeah, this is a long-standing problem in Linux. Before we had the souce, impossible to fix, and now that we have it, I simple have no longer the time to look into it :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I can't believe, that i am the only one, who has the problem. I am running win7 32 Bit. After Update to 1.08 the described problem was there. The game is almost unplayable, because in critical situations the buggy behaviour of the keyboard makes it impossible, to react in the appropriate manner.

Is there a solution ? The only idea, that i have in the moment is: back to the prev. release.

Have you tried deleting the config files so that they're created fresh? Going back to the old release won't really help unfortunately as you would be unable to play 1.08 based missions.

Do you have any game pads plugged in? Does your keyboard go through any type of adapter? I had to use a ps2 to usb adapter on my old keyboard and it caused some crappy behavior.

I deleted Darkmod.cfg and DoomConfig.cfg. I configured again: Same problem.

My keyboard is PS/2 and it is connected to PS/2.

This problem appeared with 1.08. The prev. Version worked well. And as example Doom3 still works well. It is definitely the update to 1.08. There seems to be something new in the keyboard-routine, that don't work properly on some systems.

I deleted Darkmod.cfg and DoomConfig.cfg. I configured again: Same problem.

My keyboard is PS/2 and it is connected to PS/2.

This problem appeared with 1.08. The prev. Version worked well. And as example Doom3 still works well. It is definitely the update to 1.08. There seems to be something new in the keyboard-routine, that don't work properly on some systems.

Hmmm, that is very weird. Ok, I've finally just gotten my hands on a lower end system that I'm going to be using for performance testing. It's primarily ps2 so I'll get TDM setup and run some tests to see if I can help figure this out sir. :)

• 11 months later...

Was this ever sorted out to any degree? I am new to TDM as I only discovered it when I saw the 2.0 Standalone post on GamingOnLinux.com.

I have this same issue, or at least a similar one. Left arrow is Alt, the other arrow keys are coming up as 0x00 (whatever that is)... I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard that works perfectly fine in my other games, and a wired keyboard that also works fine in my other games. I read above and know it's a known issue.. In my searches elsewhere, I only found a Doom3 fork that reportedly fixes the issues for that game, but I don't own it, just TDM2.0. I was just hoping for a fix or workaround (other than "don't use the arrow keys").

• 3 months later...

Got the same problem with certain keys not having the correct 'key strings' in linux. Arrow keys and some numpad keys. And mouse buttons 4 and up don't register in the game at all. No big problems of course, but i sure wouldn't mind if someone gave linux some more love.

• 1 month later...

The problem still consists in the current Version 2.01.

But i found a Solution for Windows:

The problem has to do with the shift-key. I configured the strg-key for running and the shift-key for sneaking.

Now i can run (holding the strg-Key) without switching back to walk-mode when i strafe.

Very weird. I'm at a loss to explain it. Works as expected on my desktop, but on my laptop I had the same issue as you. When I removed the synaptics software and let windows install some default drivers it worked fine...although, come to think of it...that may have been the other way around. Maybe I installed synaptics drivers for my board to get it working properly. Hmmm. I'll check when I get home from work.

• 6 months later...

Was this ever sorted out to any degree? I am new to TDM as I only discovered it when I saw the 2.0 Standalone post on GamingOnLinux.com.

I have this same issue, or at least a similar one. Left arrow is Alt, the other arrow keys are coming up as 0x00 (whatever that is)... I'm using a wireless Logitech keyboard that works perfectly fine in my other games, and a wired keyboard that also works fine in my other games. I read above and know it's a known issue.. In my searches elsewhere, I only found a Doom3 fork that reportedly fixes the issues for that game, but I don't own it, just TDM2.0. I was just hoping for a fix or workaround (other than "don't use the arrow keys").

On plain doom 3, it works without problems here on linux, I use mouse on left hand and the keypad keys on my right hand, all keys work fine; but on dark mod I have several problems with these keys, many of them are recognized as 0x00 and I am forced to scroll my keyboard to the right of my table so I can use the keyboard letters to play without elbow pain; and I move the keyboard back when I stop playing it.

I tried a workaround, to remap keys; but the doom 3 engine on thedarkmod seems to ignore the X server key remapping and apparently collects the keyboard raw data? see this thread on stackexchange with more research info, is about it: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/156985/keyboard-hard-remap-keys; There you can find a tip about changing keyboard scancodes: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Map_scancodes_to_keycodes, but I havent tried it yet, seems risky, not sure tho.

"truth is a pathless land" - read Jiddu Krishnamurti