The Dark Mod Forums

All-Hallow's Evie

grayman

I just put some pumpkin in the oven half an hour ago - coming along nicely... :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Excellent!

(Next year, Halloween Contest must happen...)

Every year I read about Hop-tu-Naa and dream about visiting Isle of Man to witness the most ancient form

of this celebration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hop-tu-Naa

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I could give you a taste of what it's like, I live on the isle of man. It's pretty much the same as regular Halloween, but the children sing a Hop tu Naa song when accosting home owners for sweets. It's quite cute, and only slightly diminishes the creepy atmosphere of Halloween :)

I used to live in Castletown where there's an old building called the witches mill, and the quiet winter night accompanying Halloween is pretty spooky, especially when there's a full moon and a slight breeze to rustle dead leaves on trees.

Edited by Midnight
  • Like 1

Probably not as good as grayman's but what the hell. Its something to help you get in to the Halloween spirit. Also there's a free candy apple for the first person who can work out which T2 FM this is inspired by.

It was all hallows eve and the stars they shone bright

Candles burnt brightly under silver moonlight

After feasting on candy, apples and other delights

people slept soundly throughout the night

As witches cackled and ghosts danced around graves

Werewolves howled and for blood vampires craved

As jack o lanterns stared on with a grin

A shadowy figure was prepared to commit sin

He jumped from rooftop to rooftop agile as a cat

Any noise he made was met with "Must've been rats."

He jumped down a chimney with his big sack

But this wasn't Santa it was Shadowy Jack

From shadow to shadow he made his way

Thowing loot in his sack that he'd sell the next day

As quicky as possible without making a sound

He searched every room until Bafford's sceptor he found

He looked at it sparkle in awe of his prize

unfortunately for Jack he just met his demise

As he looked down he saw a blade through his chest

A guard had snuck up behind Jack and he was now lifeless

"Every year we have to do this Dance," a voice said.

"Will you ever accept that you are now dead?"

"Ten years ago on All Hallows Eve"

"You tried to rob Bafford but you did not leave"

"You became careless and you paid a price so dear"

"Unless you accept your fate we'll do this again and I'll see you next year"

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

well at least I know why they have turnips instead of pumpkins in the isle-of-man it due to pumpkins originate from america and they wouldn't have existed 2000+ years ago. and if they want to stay traditional then they would use turnips, used sugarbeet myself once a few years ago when pumpkin wasn't available.

am guessing they no longer do the bit where they invite their ancestors into their house and talk to them, this would include getting their ancestors bones and giving them food and drink.

Edited by stumpy

Happy Halloween everybody!

Edit: Sir_Taffs, I already guessed in the TTLG thread, but to repeat it here,

Schwaa's, aka Baddcog's, Bafford's Curse. It's 10 years ago & a haunted Bafford's Mansion.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

am guessing they no longer do the bit where they invite their ancestors into their house and talk to them, this would include getting their ancestors bones and giving them food and drink.

That sounds more like a Dunmer ritual than Halloween, lol

Some Halloween fun with my fiance.

We watched The Ring and The Frighteners, then I went home and played Shalebridge Cradle on my parents big screen TV with surround sound and the lights off. Housesitting is like a mini vacation for me.

Those poems were great guys. You should make a recording of yourself reading them and combine it to game footage or a slideshow.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

I loved the line about the ghosts being our loved ones and ancestors who feel shunned. Brilliant!

I sometimes wish Komag's database could break missions into categories like horror themed, mansion, etc I need to go download that mission now. I'm a horror junkie.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

Some Halloween fun with my fiance.

Well, this guy is just sharing his life with us!

I'm a horror junkie.

Haha - same here! ^_^ Have you already played the spooky Amnesia or the deadly Dead Space series?? :laugh:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Well, this guy is just sharing his life with us!

Haha - same here! ^_^ Have you already played the spooky Amnesia or the deadly Dead Space series?? :laugh:

Well, dispite the differences I've had with this group, this was one of the places I came when things felt like they were spinning out of control. I got inspired by this project and had a great number of ideas as I was writing and learning. Now that my fiance is feeling better, I feel like sharing some of our artistic moments. We're both a bit theatrical.

I played Amnesia for a few hours and dug the atmosphere, but before it really hooked me The Walking Dead came on. When I went back to the computer, Dead Island had finished downloading and I decided to try it. And I got hooked on mashing zombie heads with a morning star while enjoying a nice tropical vacation as the edge of Hurricane Sandy blew gently against the house. As for Dead Space, I borrowed the Wii version from the library, but it had a scratch that caused it to lock up a few hours in. I'll probably check the PC version out one of these days, but I'm finding myself spending more time watching game design tutorials, reading old issues of Dungeon magazine for map ideas, and experimenting with Dark Radiant rather than actually playing games.

The best horror games I've played so far are the Silent Hill series, the Fatal Frame series, System Shock 2, and Alan Wake. Also scary but not as well known are Call of Cathulu: Dark corners of the earth, Clive Barkers Undying, and the Clock Tower series. All games best experinced with the lights off.

Taurus philosophy: