• Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay Quality

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

Moddb Article:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/community-unusual-gameplay-contest

Based on the polls, I am proposing a 3 month "Unusual Gameplay Contest" starting on December 16th and running until the end of March.

The standard voting convention is show in the topic poll.

The Unusual Gameplay theme will be as follows:

Non-standard Objectives (assassination, destruction, etc) ( Sprinheel's "A Score to Settle" matches this criteria.)

or

Non-standard play styles (Fieldmedic's mission "Reap as you Sow" is a good example, using a different method to trigger AI alert states, etc.)

or

Non-standard (strange?) maps such as "The Sword"... (Stumpy's "Illusionist Tower" might count here. Tels' Swift Mazes framework would also work well.)

Please post your intention to join the contest in this thread. Late comers are welcome as long as their mission will be complete by the end of the contest.

If anyone has a partly complete or nearly complete mission, please post the details in this thread and the participants will decide whether this is a fair entry as long as it's declared. This can also be used by voters to determine adherence to the intended rules and let folks balance their expectations accordingly (if needed). Unfortunately, the last poll on this wasn't clear enough but we can surely work this out in a civil manner in this thread. :)

Edited by nbohr1more
  • Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Let's put it this way:

If partly complete mission entries are allowed, I'll enter the contest with my mission.

If partly complete mission entries are not allowed, I won't enter the contest.

Background on my map:

It has been under work for quite a while now (checking my mapping thread shows the ideas cropping up around last september), but I don't know even the map name yet. The file is named 'modules.map', because it all started as testing/learning/playing ground for the module mapping approach. Stuff has been built, mistakes were made and everything was rebuilt a few times, the most recent example being me making vault modules into .ase models and replacing all geometry with the new model ones thus saving memory (and getting the modules DR object corruption bug immunity!). Due to RL hurries I'll never have as much mapping time as I did, so progress will be very slow and I don't feel it possible for me to accomplish a mission from scratch in three months. It may be possible to get this module-toy of mine into a full working mission in that time though.

At present the map is in current state:

Basic geometry and modules 80%

Details 50% (Some snap-on grime modules have been built and placed, but more is needed for a more dirty effect)

AI work 10%

Plot 5% (I have a blurry vision of what it will be)

Scripts & related entities 5%

Audio 0% (I need to write and execute a lot of audio scripts for this one... And possibly learn to do some voice acting the process. *shivers*)

I personally feel it would be probably a bit unfair towards people starting from scratch if I could enter with this, but then again, the amount of entries to the contests have been usually few so having more is not a bad thing. And like someone said in another thread: maybe the contest would a great pretext for others to finally finish their WIPs.

So what will it be? Your decision.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well my feeling was contests are ideally for generating new content over regular missions that would get made anyways, but I recognize it's better if they get more entries than fewer. So my feeling is: if you could make a contest FM from scratch then do that (you already said probably not); if you wouldn't finish up this FM without the contest then finish & enter the WIP FM; and if you think you'd make this WIP FM anyway without the contest then it's a toss-up. If it really needs the push then it's reasonable, if not then it's a cost on others with less benefit.

Fairness is a factor, but between fairness & generating content, my preference is with generating content. I mean within reason. It wouldn't be fair IMO if it were basically finished now & you actually held it off for a contest just to bling it up and dominate it. But if it's still in a basic state and really needs the contest to get finished up -- it wouldn't get finished in 3 months without that push -- then that's within reason & still part of the spirit of having a contest I think.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

So my feeling is: if you could make a contest FM from scratch then do that (you already said probably not); if you wouldn't finish up this FM without the contest then finish & enter the WIP FM; and if you think you'd make this WIP FM anyway without the contest then it's a toss-up.

Good comment. I just wanted to add to the quote that enrolling to the contest would commit me to get it fully done in the next three months. Without the contest it will be done anyway at some point: it will be ready when it is ready, which could easily mean one year from now. So entering a contest will/may expedite the progress as well.

Clipper

I'd like to join the contest. I didn't started any work on the contest map by now.

I have a question: What is the poll for (I have a vague idea, but ...)

@Sotha: I would have no problem competiting with you. I also think that more FM's are always better then less. This also counts to other WIP's.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'll enter the contest seeing as my FM fits the theme. However the size of my planned FM wasn't made with the contest in mind so I didn't take the 3 month time period into account. So I'm in but there's a good chance I'll miss the deadline. Oh well, one can only try.

Also I dont think pre-existing work should be allowed but to be honest I'm really not that bothered about it. If the majority of people think thats OK then I have no problem with Sotha contributing pre-existing work. If it means more maps then I guess its no bad thing.

@ Obsttorte - I think the poll is meant to be an example as to how mappers are supposed to set up their FM thread when the FM is released.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

OK, I thought it is a poll for how to weight the different aspects at the end

I thought I saw something like that in an other contest tread - unsure

• Like 1

History of my map: Has been built on since I first started working in DarkRadiant. I've had trouble setting up limits on how big the mission should be so naturally it has evolved A LOT from where I started, but heck! I believe it will be enjoyable and I have had some gameplay alternations planned for a long time in this one (but it will still have the good thiefy elements such as different entry points, night setting, patroling guards, stealing). It feels silly to mention 'stealing' as an element but my last missions have been so altered game play wise so the thief elements have been, so to say, thrown in, just to somehow fit the game...

Basic geometry: A bit difficult to say as I haven't yet narrowed it down to how big it will be. Perhaps 75%

AI-work: Some loose patrol routes but will need redoing since they got added a long time ago and probably doesn't fit anymore...say 10%

Custom content and scripts: As the story isn't evolved yet, 10%

Secret alternations: (A totally new feature I haven't seen in any mission yet): 10%

This is very loose percentages but the main reason for entering the contest is to put a fire to my ass; In this way I may have a chance to finally release Not An Ordinary Guest :)

just counting ... five possible contestants

I barely remember lots of people discussing and voting in the other threads belonging to this theme

but somehow it seems they all fell to sleep :P

The standard voting convention is show in the topic poll.

I somehow overread this :blush: , that's why I asked

What is the poll for

gladly I got an answer

@ Obsttorte - I THINK the poll is meant to be an example as to how mappers are supposed to set up their FM thread when the FM is released.

<_<, because

I thought it is a poll for how to weight the different aspects at the end

Now four people voted in a poll that shows

The standard voting convention

something weird is going on here :ph34r:

just wonder what happens if one opens an empty thread with a poll

I dont think pre-existing should be allowed if this is to be a fair constest. I'm not really that bothered though. If it means more maps and inspirition for mappers to finish pre-existing work theres lots of pros to be had.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

so far it seems that Mr. T and myself are the only ones who would participate with a not yet started map

as only two contestants may be a bit boring, we may make a decision at starting day, when we know how many people do take part at all

I can understand Sir Taffsalot's points, and would add that the same starting line also make comparision easier and avoid bad feelings

maybe some of the others can decide themselves to start something new for the contest, even though they have something else lying around

maybe we'll decide this on 16th

drink your milk

Easy for me to say (because I've got preexisting work) but even if I hadn't, I would have been positive for people entering with preexisting work as in my opinion, contests are not only a fora for competition between mappers, it's a way to motivate people to create more missions! I haven't yet created anything outside the various contests so these competitions are vital for my motivation :) And as it is now, with not so many active mappers, I don't find it likely that we've got so much leeway to tweak and restrain the entrants...

word

as far as I got it none of the possible contestants are against pre-made work, so ...

Also can mappers state which work is pre-existing in the first post of their FM thread? So voters can take that into account. I'm sure that goes without saying.

How exactly are the voters expected to take into account the pre-existing status of the mission? Should voters really treat missions differently based on the mission creation timetable? "I liked this mission very much, it was excellent overall and deserves a full 5/5 rating. But I only give 3/5 because it was a pre-existing mission." Alternatively: "This mission sucked and deserves a 1/5, but I'm giving 3/5 because there was less time for the mission building."

Sounds bad to me. Should't players be expected just simply play the mission and enjoy them?

Either abolish timetable declarations or give accurate reviewing guidelines to the voters so that they know how the mission creation timetable should affect their voting. What is feasable and what is not?

Clipper

I think what Sir TS meant was, that beneath some other facts one fact that counts towards the enjoyment of a mission is its size.

So if a voter comes to the conclusion, that the same map in a smaller size would have granted him less enjoyment, and there where pre-existing work on that mission, than this should be taken into account when voting.

On the other hand, if the voter comes to the conclusion that the size of the mission (or the amount of readables or anything else size-specific) does have nothing to do with it's "fun-factor", than no, it shouldn't matter than that there was pre-made work.

It's up to the voters to differentiate what points because of mass and what because of class :smile: