• Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay Quality

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics (Visuals, Story, Audio)

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

I guess that we have to shift the deadline anyways, so don't give up. :smile:

Today I started with a ship. Actually I am using the ship model shipped with TDM (galleon_open_whatever). It is funny to map inside a model. But it also takes freaking long, so I hope I get it done this evening (at least the brushing).

To all modelers out there: If you have nothing better to do, create models of buildings where the mappers can just build there rooms inside. I think this would give a little boost to city maps. (Hmm, maybe I'll go and make some myself using DR).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Well Obsttorte,

Mapper can create entire buildings and save as prefabs. I pulled the start room building out of Rift for my new map, and have 3 prefab faux buildings in it too. That saved me several hours of work.

The ship works alright since it's not that large. But it's actually a really bad practice (using gigantic entire building models for enterable buildings) as you can never visportal the building itself off maybe if broken into chunks... Just better to have world spawn walls and model/func_static parts here and there.

I actually got about halfway through breaking the ship down into pieces so the entire thing wouldn't render all at once all the time. Such a pain in the butt though, never finished/don't want too.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yep, I noticed that. But as the insides of the ship won't be too high-detailed, I guess it will cause no problems.

Just rethought the ship "problem". I guess I'll just hide the ship model once the player is inside from where he can't see it anyways. If he goes out again I just show it again. As I have to monsterclip the area anyway, this shouldn't cause any troubles.

Regarding the model approach: I guess it would be a good idea in general to have several parts of which you can build the facades. I just imagine having some sort of library from where you can pick the pieces to set up the building facades. This would save a lot of work when creating city street missions, as the interiors are mostly cubic rooms with some detail in it.

Yep, standard modules would make things ultra-fast. 144 unit width building facade part you snap onto caulk world geometry. Clone in line to make street level facade. Then add the second floor and as many floors you'd like. Then add rooftop module to the top. Finalize by adding modules specific grime modules onto selected pieces.

You could make a few skins for the facades for variety.

Some might gripe that the buildings would look too similar, but it is abouy how many modules you want to build. Remember the streets in Dishonored? Each had an architectural style that spanned (was spammed) all over a locale. Rooftops were usually only a few different models.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I think trim pieces would be better than adding faces and using caulk walls. Then the author can choose wall textures/scales as they wish. You can always make skins but there are so many to make (of course there could be 'universal skins' : ie have a base wood on the face and have every wood listed. But if someone adds a new wood texture to the game there's a good chance it will never get added to the skin, same with models, they all need listed to show up as matching in DR).

And with skins you can't change scale, easily apply decals and whatnot.

There's also the entity limits, and entities are needed for ai, triggers, lights, sounds... So using a lot of world spawn is a good thing. (ie prefabs).

Anyone can contribute prefabs, but I think we still need a good repository/database that people can upload to.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it would be a good time for an status update.

I interrupted the work on my contest entry as I've lost a bit motivation. Currently I'm working on the Old Habits sequel. Anyways, I'm almost done with the basic brushwork, which may take me another two weeks plus detailing, setting up AI, readables, loot ... well, any deadline shift is appreciated, but if enough authors are ready with there entry, I won't be bothered if this does not happen, as I'm not quite sure when I'll find the motivation (and the time) to continue working on it.

How is everybody else going with their missions? At least Jesps seems to be ready.

Also bogged down because of lack of motivation. I'm for advancing the deadline but I'm definitely not sure that will make enough time for my mission to be ready. I don't want to "minimize" it just to finish it in time for the deadline, that's all.

Due to RL hurries I've not had the possibility of working on the map. Just last few days I've had a few hours to spend on it.

I'm almost at the stage where I start adding AIs and objectives, but RL stays busy so I can probably invest only a couple of hours per *week*.

I propose the contest deadline is extended to 01.08.2013. I should be able to get this done by then.

Clipper

I'm for that! First of August 2013. I feel it's more important that the missions are well made and have a solid theme to the unusual gameplay style, rather than to hurry out missions in a cramped manner during a period when you feel forced to map...

Welly well. Looks like this covers the majority of the authors who apparenly are in the contest. Unless someone chimes in with a severe objection, I guess we can then conclude the deadline is on first of August. Phew!

The works that are completed earlier than the deadline can be released normally as soon as they are finished, right?

Clipper

The works that are completed earlier than the deadline can be released normally as soon as they are finished, right?

I don't see a reason why not. No need to sit on ones work.

The end of this month was the original target... I would rather have a longer deadline with more participants and higher quality missions though...

Any chance you and Baal will get your mission out in the interim? :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

All the hard work has been done and would have been done sooner but you can blame me for building new area's which in turn inspired Baal to build new area's. The original map is now double its original size with lots of eye candy galore, the premise being everywhere the player looks they will see wall chosen and aligned textures, aesthetically pleasing lighting, atmospheric ambient sounds and wonderful architecture.

All of the Ai have been placed and all of the main objectives are in place. All that's left in that regard is to create some sub objectives for the player to complete that are linked to the new area's we created.

And lastly, the lighting is pretty much done, there are a few small things to tweak and fix and Baal want to do a final round of tweaking to get the mission artistically the way he envisioned.

But unless Baal corrects me I would say we are getting close to being ready for beta testing.

Er, when was the original; deadline, as another 4 months is a bit much..

Not like I'm the one that suggested it anyway. I only put my name in the ring as a possible contestant because the original deadline was moved back (I only started weeks ago). Really doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just plugging along on a map whether it's done or not...

• 2 weeks later...