The Dark Mod Forums

DR and its shifting planes

I opened my map in 1.7.3 and every brush that's part of a func_static is mirrored/shifted elsewhere in the map.

It looks like 1.7.3 might not understand the 1.8.0 format, or it's doing something to the func_static brushes as it's reading them in.

I opened my map in 1.7.3 and every brush that's part of a func_static is mirrored/shifted elsewhere in the map.

That sounds like the additional/removal of origin has gone wrong and is being done an incorrect number of times or with an incorrect distance vector.

Do you have a minimal test map which can illustrate this issue?

Open brushShift1.map, which is one of the two maps I posted to help debug this problem.

In 1.8.0, the func_static of two brushes is where it should be.

In 1.7.3, its origin is correct, but the two brushes have moved far away from where they belong.

In 1.7.3, its origin is correct, but the two brushes have moved far away from where they belong.

Yes, I see the issue too. I was so busy looking at the numeric values that I never actually zoomed in to inspect where the brushes appeared.

Thank you Orbweaver!

(I will probably get back on track to do some "serious mapping" soon (rather than just fixing broken missions, etc).)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Brushes are now back where they belong.

Thanks!

I need to finish a bit of code, then I'll spend some time mapping.

I did do a quick test on brushShift1.map, banging away at the Save key, and didn't notice any shifting. Hopefully y'all have nailed this bug.

I guess we got this fix just in time.

I had a 45-degree-angle support beam on each end of a ceiling joist. Both angled beams were shifting in the same direction, so one was becoming larger and the other smaller. Starting with a 24x24 symmetry, one had shrunk to 18x18 and the other had expanded to 30x30. The dirt patches I'd placed on them originally were still in the same place, making for a totally bonkered mess.

Multiply that by dozens of these support beam pairs, and that's a whole mess of work that needs to be repaired because of the shifting problem.

I've repaired the support beams, but deleted all the dirt patches. If the beams can stay put for the next couple months, I'll add the patches back at the end.

Thanks again for the fix. I hope it holds up.

I'm having a problem texturing brushes.

Using the Surface Inspector, regardless of what setting I enter for Default Scale, when I hit the "Natural" button, the scale applied to the surface is 1x1.

Anyone else seeing this, or have I accidently gotten myself into a state that causes this to happen?

For example, if I manually set the scale on a texture to 0.25x0.25, then enter 0.5 in the Default Scale field, and hit the "Natural" button, the scale is reset to 1x1.

Edit: More on this problem.

The first time I use the normal button on a brush surface with--say--a Default Scale of 0.5, the surface textures properly at 0.5x0.5.

But if I reset "Default Scale" to 1.0 and hit the Normal button again, the texture stays at 0.5.

If I then select a different texture, which is already at 1x1, and hit the Normal button again, it changes to 0.5x0.5, even though the Default Scale is now 1.0.

It's as if the first press of the Normal button reads and applies the Default Scale, but subsequent presses continue to apply that same scale, regardless of what I've changed the Default Scale value to.

I've stopped my testing until this gets fixed. (Or someone figures out what I'm doing wrong.)

It was fun to watch you guys crack this nut.

It actually went way over my head, you guys are freaking math geniouses. :) If the moving planes issue is fixed, this means I'm back in business with updating my mission, once and for all. Thanks guys for all the effort.

@Orbs, any idea when you can have a look at this showstopper..?

I will have a look. Any idea when the problem first appeared? It seems unlikely that the plane translation changes alone would have introduced a new issue with texturing, but it could have arisen from some other change that went into Git since the last release.

Btw, why did the version number go backward to 1.7.3, instead of forward to 1.8.1

There was never an actual 1.8.0 release (the latest on the website is 1.7.2). I believe 1.8.0 was an unofficial build that somebody (Stifu?) created for testing purposes. Since this latest release contains only bugfixes I have incremented only the "bug" suffix rather than the "new feature" minor version number.

I fairly doubt that the changes regarding the plane translation could have caused this error. Changes on anything texture-related would only be necessary if the func_statics would get rotated as well, what isn't the case as I was told. Also grayman said he has this problem with brushes, what I would interpret as worldspawn, which is also not affected by this change. I hadn't had the time to check this out so far, so ... :unsure:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter