The Dark Mod Forums

Apples and Peaches: Obsttorte's Mapping and Scripting Thread

Obsttorte

1. The overlays haven't changed, just their appearence.

If you just hide the hud overlays there won't be an issue. I'm not quiet sure what you mean by "masked by a new overlay". You'd have to explain this more in detail so I understand whether the scaling whould have an impact. Requiem is btw. a mission where the hud is turned off from time to time, but as said, this should not interfere with the scaling.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I forget which overlay it is, but I can't turn it off, and I needed to adjust a mission-specific overlay so it laid on top of the problematic overlay, hiding its display.

I'll see what it looks like once the code is available.

It's prolly not so much a problem for WS3, because I already plan an update for that, but I was curious about other missions that could conceivably have an issue.

All guis affected by the change are hideable in general, although the source code might interfer in some situations.

I report back once I made the code changes and uloaded them to svn.

On another note: I've experimented with a way to enable the player to knockout ai by jumping on their head out of sufficient height. Currently this is if he let himself fall off a ledge roughly 256 doom units above the ground the ai is standing on. The speed the player must gain to have enough "force" to do this is controlled via a spawnarg on the player however, so it can be easely adjusted. It works quiet nice thus far, but the implementation has to check the players speed every frame. Not overhelmingly performance houngry, but not very elegant. I tried to apply moveable falling damage which doesn't yield any effect, but the way moveables damage and knockout ai might be adoptable to player, too.

Almost done with the work. Only the code side is needed. But first I wanted to get some feedback as it may needs additional fine-tuning or stuff like that.

https://youtu.be/IEd8JqYILH4

You've stolen my desktop icons, you taffer! :D

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Obs, people are reporting that when they have the mousewheel bound to weapons, frobbing the safe wheels causes them to cycle through their weapons. I didn't realize it's not just the icons--the animations play too, which both looks awkward and blocks the player's view of the wheels. You can see Biker demonstrate it below. Is there anything that can be done about that?

https://youtu.be/P74jgjLtDB4?t=15m9s

As I take it, the weapon scrolling is provoked by the weapon script. If you check for the "use key" (which should be held to pick the safe),

the conditional should stop the entire weapon script including the scroll operation. Will look at the script when I get home to confirm.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If you check for the "use key" (which should be held to pick the safe),

There is no Use key involved. The Use key is only used when you're manipulating objects in your inventory or things held in the grabber.

I think Destined is on the right track here.

See "void darkmod_readable_immobile::init()" in tdm_readables.script

Use something like:

#define IM_SAFEPICK ( IM_ALL & ~( IM_VIEW_ANGLE | IM_MOVEMENT | IM_CROUCH | IM_JUMP | IM_CLIMB )

// stop inventory, etc

$player1.setImmobilization( "safepick", IM_SAFEPICK );

// when done, re-enable inventory

$player1.setImmobilization( "readable", IM_NONE );

Obs, people are reporting that when they have the mousewheel bound to weapons, frobbing the safe wheels causes them to cycle through their weapons. I didn't realize it's not just the icons--the animations play too, which both looks awkward and blocks the player's view of the wheels. You can see Biker demonstrate it below. Is there anything that can be done about that?

https://youtu.be/P74jgjLtDB4?t=15m9s

I'll take a look at the script. Can't remember the exact implementation right now, but using a gui overlay would definetely work, as it blocks the weapon selection.

I'll take a look at the script. Can't remember the exact implementation right now, but using a gui overlay would definetely work, as it blocks the weapon selection.

Any chance of getting a fix for this in the next few days? I have to make a decision about including the safe in the mission for 2.05.

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I'll take a look tomorrow and report back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What a great idea.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

What? :huh:

• 1 month later...

How do you get a static view from this?

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

If you are referring to the camera disable its sweep.

• 1 year later...

That is what I thought too, but what is really happening is:

( source_texture * framebuffer ) + ( framebuffer * 0)

So it is only capable of darkening but it the darkening covers the full color range.

If you start with a white diffuse map, the darkening is only based on the input of how

much light strikes the white texture and thus it mimics the way that the regular diffuse

image works.

The problem in my diffuse example is that to crossfade the textures with blend filter I had to mask

the unwanted area with white and that masking is unnecessarily brightening the crossfade

region. I think I can correct that with one more filter stage to counteract it.

Probably something like:

{
blend filter

map add(add(textures/bias_map.tga, invertColor(textures/bias_map.tga)), add(invertColor(textures/conny.tga),invertColor(textures/cuckold.tga)))
}
Edit: Nope, cannot find a native way to correct the bright band. Had to create a corrective filter

texture in GIMP by flipping a duplicate layer and using darkening then inverting the whole thing:

attachicon.gifdarkmod_2016-10-06_22.03.53.jpg

I guess using native functions for diffuse blending is mostly only practical where you don't care about a little

brightening at the boundary.

Obsttorte's shader doesn't suffer that diffuse problem and it works with DDS. So use my operation for bumpmap and Obsttorte's shader

for diffuse.

Time for a little revival.

It occurs to me, that it should be possible to nest blend stages so we should be able to get a perfect cross-fade if

we do something like:

White diffuse image

blend filter everything below

makeAlpha (filter image)

blend blend everything below

diffuse image 1, diffuse image 2

Basically, take advantage of blend blend's natural crossfade then use the resultant image as a filter.

I've gotta look at some makeAlpha materials to confirm my understanding there...

I'm not sure how normalmaps would fare with blend blend but this might be one of those nifty cases where the mask color

keywords come in handy.

Running out of time but after considering further, here is a prototype based on the previous

example:

textures/add_two_nbohr1more_again
{

{
     blend diffusemap
     map _white
    }

{
      blend filter
      map nbohr1more_blender_tex
     }

}

nbohr1more_blender_tex
{

diffusemap textures/cuckold.tga
  {
  maskColor
  map makeAlpha(textures/bias_map.tga)
  }

{
  blend blend
  map textures/conny.tga
  }

}

It requires 2 materials.

1 to setup the image blending (nbor1more_blender_tex)

and

2 use the blended image as a filter for the diffuse

Then you should be able to manipulate the bias image and reloadImages to follow the same workflow...

• 1 year later...

Greets -

I'm trying to use the trigger_look script for the first time. When my player looks at the seen-object (a rope), the trigger works fine based on the default distance and "once"=1. What does not work is the view direction (just using default), which is ignored (e.g., as if "tolerance" was 2). I can back my player up to the seen-object, and still it triggers when within distance. I've also noticed a console warning about divide by zero in line 66 of the script. Presumably this is the call to the length function

float length(vector v) {
    return sys.sqrt(v_x*v_x+v_y*v_y+v_z*v_z);
}

Perhaps sys.sqrt is broken? This is under TDM 2.07/Windows 10.  Any help would be great, but no hurry... I'm going to be away from my dev machine for a few weeks, so can't diagnose further in the short term.

By the way, attached are some ideas to improve your corresponding wiki page, that I wrote up as I was researching this. Ignore or use as you see fit. Thanks

Forum post ideas.txt

• 10 months later...
On 5/9/2013 at 11:25 AM, Obsttorte said:

HITMANSTYLE III

• I've tried to check for all possible bugs in the code. Anyways, if you find one or notice strange behaviour, please report hear. Thanks.

Hey Obsttorte,

First off I just want to say thank you! - I have learned so much just watching your tutorial videos. This script is amazing and was incredibly easy to implement. I did encounter an issue and I am wondering if I have set up the player observer script incorrectly. In my map when I have the "observer" script object active on the info_locationsettings entity it works just as it should except it seems to prevent any call_on_entry or call_on_exit scripts I have on any info_location entities from running anymore - I can't even get them to print to console.

I am an incredible novice when it comes to scripting but I cannot see why there would be a conflict (it seems like the observer script only interacts with locations to see the status of the hostile flag) and I am wondering if there is anything I need to set up in my scripts to take into account if the player observer is running.

Thank you again for the amazing work!

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

Glad you like my stuff :)

Regarding your question. My script replaces the location settings script that is used by the info_locationsettings entity by default, and that one handles the script calls mentioned by you (call_on_entry, call_on_exit etc.). What you can try is to create a second info_locationsettings entity and keep it as it is. This way both scripts should be run. I haven't tested it now (I may have in the past, but it was almost seven years ago, so ...). Tell me whether it works.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Obsttorte said:

What you can try is to create a second info_locationsettings entity and keep it as it is. This way both scripts should be run. I haven't tested it now (I may have in the past, but it was almost seven years ago, so ...). Tell me whether it works.

Worked perfectly! Thank was easy - thank you!

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =