The Dark Mod Forums

Visportals that can decrease sound

RPGista

It appears this is impossible to do, given the current design (even after my changes).

The way eavesdropping works is that the player's "ear" is virtually moved to a point on the other side of the door. Since the door does not lie on the path eavesdropped sounds take as they travel from their origins to the player's "ear", any spawnargs on the door dealing with sound loss have no impact.

Ah. Ok. The only thing we could then do is apply a general sound loss when the player is "listening in", but that would not work if you "lean in" with no door actually there (this would then also suddenly reduce the sound). Hohum.

I changed the extra player-only sound loss to 9dB from 10dB, and this lets me hear faint footsteps and barking from patrolling lobby guards while standing in the Outpost sleeper's room.

In Chalice, the courtyard machine is slightly louder when standing in the kitchen, but it's still pretty close to what we hear with 1.08.

Good work!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The player's origin is still on the opposite side of the door correct? You could check to see if the "ears" are in one area and the origin in another to tell if the player is listening in.

Good thinking!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh. I've noticed an unfortunate consequence of the very cool effect of the sound fading in/out based on how open the door is.

If you go through a door as it is swinging open or closed, you notice a clear jump in volume as you cross the visportal. I usually slip through doors before they've fully opened, and while playing Chalice it is very noticable on the front door. If you are inside the house and step out into the yard before the door fully opens, you notice a sudden jump in volume.

A possible compromise might be to have the sound fade only while the crack of the door is too small for the player to get through?