The Dark Mod Forums

Let's bring Stephen Russell to The Dark Mod!

Dinosorceror

As to my estimates of minimum hours needed to record, that was based on if it were possible for him to record the lines on his own equipment at home. If he had to be brought to a place to record it and so on, well, that gets a lot more complicated... =) Well, at $4,000 you'd practically need a kickstarter to make it happen. =P Oh well, it's a nice thought anyhow. Hmm... I don't suppose we'll ever get to hear him again as Garrett (or any other thief) unless the petition actually works or some other company buys the rights from those idiots in suits at Eidos after Thief 4 comes out... :(

Edited by Dunedain

As to my estimates of minimum hours needed to record, that was based on if it were possible for him to record the lines on his own equipment at home. If he had to be brought to a place to record it and so on, well, that gets a lot more complicated... =) Well, at $4,000 you'd practically need a kickstarter to make it happen. =P Oh well, it's a nice thought anyhow. Hmm... I don't suppose we'll ever get to hear him again as Garrett (or any other thief) unless the petition actually works or some other company buys the rights from those idiots in suits at Eidos after Thief 4 comes out... :(

Even if he was doing it at home on his own equipment, it would still take just as long...perhaps longer running all the equipment himself. In any case, I highly doubt the man has a home recording studio, he's a theater actor not a recording engineer. :) The only way to do this reasonably well would be to meet up with him at a location convenient for him, setup a makeshift recording booth...a reasonably sized closet, or very small room with some thick blankets on the wall would do....and get to it. There's really no 'fast' way to do it. He's a professional, but it takes time to find the character...allow for rest and refreshment, food...etc. It's not something you can approach with a 'go go go' attitude and expect a good result.

Some of you guys could make a point in a much easier way, anyway, I think. SlyFoxx does a great SR Garrett imitation, and has been voicing FMs forever. Some of you could make a kind of spoof FM with Sly's voice saying things like "Miss me yet?", and have a clever storyline to go along with it, like someone hires you to bring back their stolen voice, or they lost their voice... without ever saying his name, but everybody gets it... (Or make it in dromed even and use his name.) Something like that might be gold. Think about things you can do in the realm of possible & clever IMO.

Edit: On reflection, I think TDS would be the best vehicle for that kind of spoof FM. You could call it something like Thi4f: Raiders of the Lost Voice.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Some of you guys could make a point in a much easier way, anyway, I think. SlyFoxx does a great SR Garrett imitation, and has been voicing FMs forever. Some of you could make a kind of spoof FM with Sly's voice saying things like "Miss me yet?", and have a clever storyline to go along with it, like someone hires you to bring back their stolen voice... without ever saying his name, but everybody gets it... (Or make it in dromed even and use his name.) Something like that might be gold. Think about things you can do in the realm of possible & clever IMO.

Well, anything is possible...given the resources.

Sure, I think my point was more like, you can have almost all the same fun for free using Sly's imitation voice anyway. The idea is to make a point and make it funny. It doesn't need to be so extravagant.

Edit: Ninja'd. Lol, ok ok, haha... I'm outie. ^_^

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

My two cents:

As great and wonderful as the old Garrett's voice is/was - the new Dark Mod maps really don't need him.

First thing I noticed as a (old thiefs player) new TDM player was that the thief was not called Garrett and has taken on different names.

I rather like this idea - it's like every mapper can mode the thief however they want. It's kinda like Dr.Who and the various actors who have played the roll.

Also it seems like a complete waste of money to hire someone who belongs to the 'union' when there are people in all walks of life who would record for free - all with interesting voices and especially accents from everywhere.

The only things that really ruins voice acting (for me) in period pieces, such as when TDM (17th-19th century) takes place, is when the voices sound (too) American... (back then there really wasn't an "American" accent yet)... or they have '20/21st century' words and phrases.

(same goes for notes/letters and books)

• Like 1

Well, this has been an interesting discussion, back to work, etc. yes. But...I will say, I am going to do my best not to re-neg on my promise to make a level in Mr. Russell's honor and "pay back the project in time." In much the same way that "Fifty Shades" was set in the Twilight universe with copypasta to avoid copyright infringement, I am going to try and develop a level entitled "For Old Time's Sake" and have it be a denouement to the series. I was thinking at work today of a story with references to Thief II's opening mission:

It's after the fall of everything, and you've done your best to retire as a thief, because all it seems to do is get you involved in political intrigue with the wrong types of people. You've got enough from the Watchers' storerooms to live like a king for the rest of your days. As far as the City is concerned, you were killed in the events leading to the downfall of the Watchers. It's five years later, and Lady Oppenheimer's son Markus is claiming that after holding his silence for years to prevent retribution, he was the one to bring the master thief down beneath his own blade, and he had the blackjack taken off your corpse to prove it. You had helped a friend of yours, Larry the Lightfingered, get his bride-to-be out of servitude to Lady Oppenheimer years back, and when Larry, one of the few people you still even alive to keep in touch with from the old days, tells you of Markus' boast, Larry helps you into Markus' stronghold to set the record straight and ensure your legend lives on. Just like old times...

Markus' stronghold slash museum is the most secure facility ever constructed in the City, and if you were to clean it out, there'd be no doubt as to who was responsible. In fact, you plan to leave Markus' unconscious body draped across the pedestal where he showcased your supposed blackjack, with a nice note...and with a Watcher insignia you kept as a memento. Those Oppenheimers, they never learn...

It's after the fall of everything, and you've done your best to retire as a thief, because all it seems to do is get you involved in political intrigue with the wrong types of people. You've got enough from the Watchers' storerooms to live like a king for the rest of your days. As far as the City is concerned, you were killed in the events leading to the downfall of the Watchers. It's five years later, and Lady Oppenheimer's son Markus is claiming that after holding his silence for years to prevent retribution, he was the one to bring the master thief down beneath his own blade, and he had the blackjack taken off your corpse to prove it. You had helped a friend of yours, Larry the Lightfingered, get his bride-to-be out of servitude to Lady Oppenheimer years back, and when Larry, one of the few people you still even alive to keep in touch with from the old days, tells you of Markus' boast, Larry helps you into Markus' stronghold to set the record straight and ensure your legend lives on. Just like old times...

Markus' stronghold slash museum is the most secure facility ever constructed in the City, and if you were to clean it out, there'd be no doubt as to who was responsible. In fact, you plan to leave Markus' unconscious body draped across the pedestal where he showcased your supposed blackjack, with a nice note...and with a Watcher insignia you kept as a memento. Those Oppenheimers, they never learn...

Sounds good. Come to think of it why doesn't TDM have it's own version of The Keepers called something like The Watchers. We have Builders and pagans. It's no big deal I was just curious.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Sounds good. Come to think of it why doesn't TDM have it's own version of The Keepers called something like The Watchers. We have Builders and pagans. It's no big deal I was just curious.

Yeah we need a group like that, I think a TDM fm in the works may have a group/person called the Keeper of Keys or some such.

Isn't the Hermetic Order something like the Keepers? Magic runes an' shit?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mages

Anyhow, any faction could be generated by any mapper by introducing something new and interesting in their FM. Just be careful not to make any IP blunders...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

The Keepers are some weird combination of monks and mages, and we already have both of those things. They don't really make much sense as an independent faction unless your setting is very small scale.

Also, our pagans are nothing like Thief pagans. In fact, the only faction that really comes close to Thief factions in anything other than superficial ways is the Builders.

• 5 months later...

Drop TDM from that white text and you've probably got yourself a brilliant new game idea. TDM has done this well without Mr Russell so far, I doubt it's suddenly going to hit a brick wall because he's not involved, plus legalities and money etc. Though I'd certainly be supportive of a mission tribute to him.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080