The Dark Mod Forums

Hello! I'm new to the TDM forums.

Lux

Just wanted to say, Hello! From reading through various posts in the forums it seems like a great community and I hope to become a part of it.

So I got the hankering for some Thief as of late and stumbled on TDM through some googling. After purchasing Doom 3 through Steam and instaling TDM, I have been nostalgiacly playing through many of the FMs and have also decided to d/l the Radiant editor and start making a mission, maybe many, we'll see. As it turns out also, I just started (today!) my 1 week vacation from work and intend to dive in to the Radiant editor and am currently going through the A-Z wiki on it.

A bit of background on me, I 'used' to work in application support till the economic crash a couple years ago and was laid off and am now running a machining center at a local machine shop, using Mastercam daily, 2D/3D stuff and have always wanted to make a mission/game, and decided since I've always enjoyed the Thief series and stealth gameplay so much, this is where I would start. After getting to my third year in Mechanical Technology I changed my major to Information Technology (should have went with straight Computer Science but ahhh hindsight). I've always loved building things and designing things and also really enjoy computers, art, audio, and the entire visual experience as presented to a user.

I have created a couple playable maps before using the older source engine editor so I'm vaguely familiar with 3D modeling, skyboxes, lighting, AI pathing, etc. That's been over 10 years ago though. I got familiar with 3dsmax, ProE, Autocad, and Mastercam in my first major during school so that helps a bit when familiarizing with a new editor and as previously mentioned I've dabbled around in the Valve Source editor.

I'm also very much looking forward to the Crucible of Omens campaign created by the marvelous talent at TDM and would like to help in any way I can once I'm familiar with the Radiant engine.

I can also do many many voices, I've often thought about moving out to Cali from Indiana and finding work in voice-overs, voice acting, etc. All this started as a youngster with little friends, time on my hands, and imaginary friends. Wow that's hard to admit. So anyway, I've been working on a shadowy Garrett voice, and can do guards and some women characters with old, old english, gruff, slippery, sneaky, terrifying, voices and personalities.

Just thought I'd mention that as it may be a way that I could contribute early on and would also enjoy.

So anyway, too much about me and not enough A-Z wiki, back to the tutorial! Glad to be here and hope for good things to come.

• Like 1

Cool story...

Welcome to the Dark side. :ph34r:

If you have any questions about DR and building, ask away in the Editor's forum.

We're all here to help and encourage you the best we can.

Everybody loves it when a new builder joins the ranks.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Welcome aboard! :)

I'm pretty swamped with standalone stuff right now but I'd be interested in hearing some samples of the voices you can do.

Heeeeeeeeeere is Johnny, .. äh Lux!

Welcome aboard! Hochido! Sei gegrüßt! :smile:

Contributors are always welcome and, as said, you can ask questions anytime you want.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Welcome to the forums, namesake!

(No, really, that's my family name)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks a lot guys.

I do have a ventrilo server where we could gather for a voice session, not making any promises but we could feel each other out a bit. There's really too much to do for a voice recording in my mind because subtle changes can be made to voices to evoke what the listener is looking for. That would be a lot of sound clips and I think it would be better served in a TS/Ventrilo/Skype type of format.

Hey, I may not be able to do anything to you guys liking so don't get your hopes up. ;)

Welcome to the forums, namesake!

(No, really, that's my family name)

Lux is your families name? Wow, hehe, and here I picked the name becuase of light measurements :) As in... we're much brighter when there are many of us.

Oh, and I don't read German (and apparently Welsh?) other than using google translate but my lineage is all german (on the good side anyway (j/k mom!)).

First post was here also with some recent FMs and system specs not that its relevent.

I'll be home for the week so heres my vent info.

IP: 98.157.144.121

port: 3784 (default)

pw: bopp

Pop in for a chat!

Edited by Lux

Greetings and welcome. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game; there are a lot of fun missions to choose from.

Also, it is great to see somebody new with an interest in creating missions. There haven't been many new releases as of late, because the team is focused on both going stand-alone and the campaign. So... if you create any new missions for us to play, they will be very appreciated.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I was going to ask what your nationality was then, but your IP address says that you're in Wisconsin, so American... Me too. (I wasn't meaning to stalk or anything! Just curious about your nationality.) We have a good mix of nationalities & personalities here though. It's good. Keeps us from becoming too parochial.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hey, I noticed in the Radiant editor when I select "P" for preferences > Camera > uncheck "Enable far-clip plane", everything in the Camera view window turns to the "Shader not found" texture. I fixed it by exiting and reloading the editor, however after changing this setting, when the DarkRadiant editor launches its asks me again to configure the Engine path.

I'm assuming this is because I have Doom3 and TDM installed in the Steam directory and its looking in the default location C:/Games/Doom3 and can't find it.

After editing the path back to the Steam directory and then reloading the map I was working on, now the setting is correctly enabled/disabled however the picture I hung on the wall shows the "NoDraw" texture for the picture inside the correctly textured frame. The Necklace on the table is just a green blob which I'm assuming is the "collision" texture because it has been added to my Texture Browser. And the stone and wooden floor textures have been scaled way back and are now tiny repeating textures. Pulling up the Surface Inspector and re-selecting the brushes and clicking the Modify Texture > Natural button fixes them. Default Scale is set to .3, I believe it was .5. It appears its a good idea to set the preferences prior to starting brush creation? If a preferences change is made later will this create many issues on the map?

It appears I was looking for "cubic clip the camera view" and instead changed the camera option in the prefs instead.

Repeating this causes again all textures in the camera viewport to render as "shader not found", checking the game engine path again in Preferences > Game > , it has been blanked.

Relocating game engine path using the "..." button restores all textures except the picture in the frame (no draw texture) and the necklace on the table (collision texture). Is this a known bug?

The map complies fine with no red error messages and the textures are there once the map loads. Also the necklace looks fine and is frobbable and not jittering around like its colliding with the table.

Edited by Lux

I was going to ask what your nationality was then, but your IP address says that you're in Wisconsin, so American... Me too. (I wasn't meaning to stalk or anything! Just curious about your nationality.) We have a good mix of nationalities & personalities here though. It's good. Keeps us from becoming too parochial.

Indiana actually. WI is probably just where the ISP reports?

lost_soul, thanks! We shall see :) Couple of technical things I'm trying to get used to with selection and zooming as opposed to being used to mastercam viewport manipulation, along with all other thousands of items and things.

Edited by Lux

If you want to start asking questions about DR, might I suggest you either ask in the "Newbie DR Questions" thread, or start a new thread in the Editor's forum called something like "Lux's DR questions" so you can have all your questions and answers in one place, and then other people can benefit from the answers being there. Often when people get started on questions, they'll just take off and it's just the best place to have questions and answers for building. :)

Oh, and I don't read German (and apparently Welsh?)

I didn't thought so, but it's nice to see you recognized it (with or without google translater, don't know). And Hochido isn't Welsh (at least I think so, I don't know either). It means something similar as greetings.

Just wanted to say that you are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery welcome :smile: (independently from your actual skills).

but my lineage is all german

If you want to learn some german words (preferable swear words), I'll be happy to help you ;)

Regarding the voice examples. You may just want to do something like what the guards are saying or something different. It's just about hearing your voice, do you speak clearly and what kinds of voices/moods you are able to emphasize ... There has been another new member who did something similar, too. If you find the thread, you can look what he did. It's just about checking the potential, as all the "old" members (I'm a bloody new one either) wants to make this mod (or game, as it isn't "just" a mod anymore) as professional as possible.

Regarding DarkRadiant: Normally you don't have to change much of the default settings. I don't have Doom3/TDM/DR installed in the "normal" paths either, and didn't had any problems. If you get hung up with the settings, you may just reinstall DarkRadiant so everything is set back to default. And yes, the default texture scale is 0.5.

Anyways, you soon will recognize that this is the best (and most polite and helpful) community in the world :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If you want to start asking questions about DR, might I suggest you either ask in the "Newbie DR Questions" thread, or start a new thread in the Editor's forum called something like "Lux's DR questions" so you can have all your questions and answers in one place, and then other people can benefit from the answers being there. Often when people get started on questions, they'll just take off and it's just the best place to have questions and answers for building. :)

Great idea!

I didn't thought so, but it's nice to see you recognized it (with or without google translater, don't know). And Hochido isn't Welsh (at least I think so, I don't know either). It means something similar as greetings.

Just wanted to say that you are veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery welcome :smile: (independently from your actual skills).

...snip

Yeah, google translate said, "WELSH DETECTED!" lol so that's why I said that. Actually not a bad thing either cause German/Welsh/Dutch is what my mom brought to the table.

As far as my actual skills go, you sir... are entirely correct! I am a skilless newb as far as DarkRadiant is concerned, wow what a huge undertaking but hey, my dad built model air planes and that's not my thing so I have to build something.

I'll dig around for that thread on sound bites, thanks for the heads up.