The Dark Mod Forums

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Arcturus

i heard there will be mutiplayer in witcher 3. you collect sex cards and then play them against other online players like magic the gathering.

just kidding. thatd be hilarious though. can't wait for more sex with npcs... part 3.

Seriously though, this game is going to kick ass.

@ST, did you hear this from Anita Sarkeesian perchance? :laugh:

Why has this man allways gray hair and sports around like a young man?! I never played the series but I heard this game is mostly about having sex with NPCs...

His hair turned white/gray when he was undergoing the process that turned him into a witcher. I've only played the first Witcher game, and there's quite a bit of sex if you choose to do that. I've watched Let's Plays of the second game, and there is much less sex as far as I could tell. The games' stories are mainly about Geralt being caught up in struggles between contending organizations or political powers but also with personal storylines woven into the main story of a game. And there's lots and lots of killing of monsters and bad guys.

I really like the world and the characters. I've read one of the Witcher books ("The Last Wish") and have a couple more("Blood of Elves" and "The Time of Contempt") that I plan to read soon.

Edited by Maijstral

Played the first The Witcher, loved it a lot. It was like a complete overhaul or a very different module of Neverwinter Nights (Thing is, The Witcher 1 was made on a heavily modified NWN engine, nice one!)

Played the 2nd The Witcher...I can talk so badly about this game, I'll get easily tired. I don't really like it. It was good, yeah, but it wasn't as good as the first Witcher. The storyline was short, I can't be as-neutral-as-possible at all unlike in the first Witcher, there were not so many interesting creatures and that, creatures, there weren't many either! I like to go hunt and fight some creepy-looking enemies or so, but noooo, Witcher 2 denies that, huh?

I just hope this one will be a lot better than the other two. Also, they better make it compatible with low-end machines (Mine used to be an envious-for-the-unlucky one during 2008)

• 4 months later...

The first game was really nice because, differently from other RPG (who said The Elder Scroll?), it has an interesting real-time fight mechanic that is both funny and challenging. I played as a pure fighter and it was delightful to pick the right tactic for the enemy that I was facing. I've just bought the second one but on my laptop doesn't run. I hope to play it soon and then play the third. The story is amazing.

System76 Gazelle professional with Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 8GB ram and Intel HD Graphics 4000

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp8

Non-white beard? Why does Geralt of Rivia now look like Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell with long white hair... as with all games that go long in the tooth... they'll probably ruin this game with too much console gamey-ness. :(

Let's hope they don't.

Non-white beard? Why does Geralt of Rivia now look like Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell with long white hair... as with all games that go long in the tooth... they'll probably ruin this game with too much console gamey-ness. :(

Let's hope they don't.

I agree that a lot of companies do this but not CD Projekt RED they are very pro-PC and a great company overall.

• 8 months later...

My biggest concern is the system requirements.

I think that on that note, both GTA V and Witcher 3 don't look all that well to push the limits so far away. Even for minimum settings it's kind of odd.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

Looks pretty interesting!

Running around and slaying hords of creatures isn't exactly my cup of tea.

But there seems to be a vast variety of creatures and environments around that make me confident I would enjoy it.

And some fairly good story-telling... from what I could grasp from that video.

And hey, there are pagans! Real PAGANS that did pretty much sound like the ones from the old Thief!

Well, my new NVIDIA graphicscard came with a licence for that game. So I am lucky to be able to play it for free as soon as it comes out.

Defintely looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

CD Project did the same thing as Ubisoft did with Watch Dogs, graphics were downgraded:

http://imgur.com/a/8I1He

If anyone planned on getting this for state of the art graphics, you might be disappointed. Guess a good storyline is everything one might possibly hope for now (ignoring the rumors of a mediocre storyline in that case).

Edited by Cookie

If this isn't state of art then I don't know what is:

https://youtu.be/_XXOofl2cXE?t=31m42s

This would be it, Arcturus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs

There are a lot of people who feel let down by CDPR because of the disparities between what was shown in 2014 and what the game now looks like on PC. Their PR on the issue of the downgrade has been laughable with employees contradicting each other about the development of the PC Version. With representatives now claiming that 60fps and better textures are now PC-exclusive features, instead of aerial perspective fog, volume-based translucency, realistic water effects, forward-lit particles and semi-volumetric clouds.

60fps and better textures are PC-standard features, it's not something we should feel pleased about that a developer has delivered on these fronts!

CDPR made promises to the PC community about the graphical fidelity of the game, which have clearly been broken - watching comparison videos between PS4 and PC footage is a very sad experience given how similar the games actually look.

Whether or not the so-called 'inside source' that claimed a downgrade had occurred and provided reasons for it, was legitimate (CDPR predictably say he is a fraud), there are a number of graphical enhancements that have clearly been stripped from the game or replaced with "cheaper" alternatives.

Of course, the game looks "great" but it could have looked "out-of-this-world" incredible - and that is what frustrates me the most, because at one point it most certainly did and was billed as being playable. Of course, there is the possibility that the 2014 gameplay was a vertical slice, which - if it was - then CDPR were evidently "lying" about its playable state then, when they showed off that footage.

I couldn't care less if the game doesn't look like the 2013 trailer, but I do care that there are such differences between the 2014 build and the 2015 one.

Given all the delays that happened, my thinking is that they realised that the consoles simply couldn't keep up with PC 2014 footage and so that they had to systematically strip down the game of its incredibly detailed assets to the point where the game is now today. One wonders, why they didn't just keep the PC version at that level - some people have suggested that the small team size as a key factor. For my sake, I would've gladly taken even more delays on the PC version any day over having it stripped down.

CDPR keep blathering on about "it's not a final version" when it comes to the numerous recent gameplay videos from the 'downgraded' PC version, but I am struggling to believe that there will be that much change in graphical fidelity in terms of assets, foliage and world geometry between these "not-final" versions and the Day 1 patch.

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 1

I understand that some people have bought 1000$ cards and now feel mad that the game will not utilize their full power. To me the game looks amazing and I'll be happy if I'll be able to run it on low with decent frame rate.

It's only a model...

As I can't even run the game with my aging GTX 560 Ti, my issue is that CDPR unnecessarily sacrificed their creative vision for the game on the altars of Sony and Microsoft. With CDPR having previously been a PC-exclusive developer, for this 'downgrade' to have happened, feels to many PC gamers like a knife in the back after years of loyalty.

They could've finished the PC version first, and then systematically stripped it down to the console capabilities. Instead, in their chase for a simultaneous multi-platform release, the PC version has been 'downgraded' for all PC gamers, not just those with high-end cards.

I just hope that there will be an Enhanced Edition, where they can go back and 'restore' the PC version to its 2014 equivalent...or that modders can do that once the RedKit is released.

Edited by Dunedain19
  • Like 1

Interesting that every game, or other software release meets a big shitstorm from the "community" these days. Regardless of whether your points are valid or not, i wonder what this hails from.

I find the graphics not overly exciting too btw, GTA 5 looks better. So what. A shiny surface doesn't have any effect on me if there's no substance below it. Otherwise i wouldn't play TDM either as there's many games nowadays which look better.

Edited by chakkman

What did they promise to who? And who has the right to feel let down, and feels like he's obliged to buy the game if he doesn't feel like the dev's delivered what was promised? Don't get the general attitude. If you're so p***ed off about it, don't buy it. As simple as that. Unfortunately the attitude of big parts of the "community" is rather to act offended, and say "Hey, look, they fooled everyone and broke all their promises".