The Dark Mod Forums

Linux sucks

AluminumHaste

For example the default used wireless driver for my netbook's wireless device couldn't connect me to my router. I had to install another driver to make it work.

What, and nobody has ever had a frustrating time trying to get something working on windows?

One example of a frustrating time is not the same as OSS drivers don't support hardware features or are just bad. It's one example of a frustrating time on a PC, a complex open architecture legacy device. Not your fault of course, but basically I think you're spinning a very rosey eyed view of Windows and a very negative view of 'Nix.

Edited by jay pettitt

They already have Windows, Windows is the now. Of course Linux is the future, unless Valve wants to stagnate. The upside is if more people follow Valve's initiative Linux will become a more attractive platform to at least some people, which will help with the ridiculous security issue of 90%? of the world's PC's running Windows.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Sure, but as I've tried to explain a few times, being a PC gaming enthusiast is kind of a niche activity.

Most folk don't care to tweak individual parameters for their mouse. Most folk don't want to tweak their mice at all, and if they have to they want the mouse/trackpad to be a bit less/more whizzy and that's it. Most folk would think that demanding individual acceleration and sensitivity sliders to be front of house and exclaiming that 'this OS sucks' if it's not so to be a bit weird.

You having a frustrating time getting some experimental Beta software up and running (and let's be clear, absolutely no one is saying that right now Linux is as well supported for PC gaming as Windows is) is no different at all from someone else having a frustrating time with any other aspect of computing ~ something that happens a lot. Yeah, it does suck when it happens and more so when you're somewhere new and a bit lost, but some perspective kinda helps here.

Edited by jay pettitt

They already have Windows, Windows is the now. Of course Linux is the future, unless Valve wants to stagnate. The upside is if more people follow Valve's initiative Linux will become a more attractive platform to at least some people, which will help with the ridiculous security issue of 90%? of the world's PC's running Windows.

Actually there was a problem Valve had with Windows 8, something not supported they wished it was supported or so, thus Steam propagizes Linux now. To hype it is a decision for the companies (Valve's) sake, nothing else.

It wasn't a feature, so much as a direction Windows is being taken as part of Microsoft's aspiration to transition to an Apple style hardware and services company.

Maybe MS will surprise everyone and turn out not to be the next Blackberry, but that space is already pretty sewn up. And the OS of choice by a massive margin for consumer devices is 'nix. Just like the OS of choice for back room applications is 'nix.

Desktop PCs are looking kinda creaky and kinda isolated. And they're not selling. Valve are just covering their bases. 'Cos you gotta ask, other than PC gaming (which is pretty niche) what's Windows for?

~~edit~~

ooh er

Edited by jay pettitt

This is all very interesting. If you had told me a week ago that they were developing an OS, I would have laughed at you... hard.

Hopefully they will put performance for 3D and multimedia applications first and not use bloated and slow components by default like some distros do.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Value have one awesome cash cow known as Steam which generally means the stuff they make and release is rather up to scratch and generally is incredibly well supported due to money not really being a problem and they are in charge of their own deadlines and release dates. The fact that I'm still getting updates for HL2, etc. (nearly 10 years after release though they aren't 'major' updates, just tweaks in the engine) tells me they care about quality and I'm really quite excited about this news. Are we really sure we don't want to try and get TDM on Greenlight?

• Like 1

Value have one awesome cash cow known as Steam which generally means the stuff they make and release is rather up to scratch and generally is incredibly well supported due to money not really being a problem and they are in charge of their own deadlines and release dates. The fact that I'm still getting updates for HL2, etc. (nearly 10 years after release though they aren't 'major' updates, just tweaks in the engine) tells me they care about quality and I'm really quite excited about this news. Are we really sure we don't want to try and get TDM on Greenlight?

I too am part of the group of people that would like to see TDM up on greenlight. However, even someone like me knows there is one major catch to putting things up on greenlight.

It costs $100 to put something up on Greenlight.

Now considering the fact that Valve is offering to publish games made by people for such a cheap price, and the fact that its a one time pay too (per account) makes it VERY convenient compared to other publishing solutions. However, for a free game like TDM, its still a decent chunk of somewhat achievable money.

If we could raise the funds through some kinda donation type thing that would be good, but other than that im unsure if TDM will be put up on greenlight.

Edited by MacD11

It wasn't a feature, so much as a direction Windows is being taken as part of Microsoft's aspiration to transition to an Apple style hardware and services company.

Looks like it had to do with the Xbox Live integration mostly: http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/culture/2012/07/valve-panics-windows-8-prepares-drink-steams-milkshake

Dude, that's a guy speculating (wildly) on a blog. Maybe there's something to it, but really - Valve sent scrabbling to Linux in a panic because people would be able to transfer their achievements from Xbox if they use a competing store front? Seriously?

(Jay notes that in the year since that blog post was written foretelling how Valve's number was up, Steam sales have gone up 30% or something)

Anyway

I've not given this any thought yet - but generally speaking I think Desktop PCs and people's homes are an uncomfortable marriage. Maybe it's okay if you've got a home office, or in your teenage son's bedroom or something - but it's a pretty inelegant way of sticking a computer in a home. So yeah, if you can make the PC less obtrusive and access it from thin clients (the telly, laptops, tablets etc etc) then I can see that working.

Edited by jay pettitt

Well, I'm transitioning to LXDE. Along the way, I had to rebind lots of my shortcuts, which was annoying in and of itsself, however...

I use a 3d Window manager, rather than Openbox. When I enabled the 3DWM in LXDE, my alt-f4 combo to close windows stopped functioning. It was changed to Control+q. Seriously, what the fuck? Alt+f4 has been standard for closing windows for the past two decades, and by changing it to something like control+q, you are going to INTERFERE WITH APPLICATION-SPECIFIC SHORTCUTS THAT MAKE USE OF CTRL+Q LOCALLY. I changed it back, however it still did not function properly. I still had to hit ctrl+q to close windows while using the 3D window manager, but alt+f4 was correct when I used openbox.

So, I get this idea... What if the window managers are conflicting by both trying to associate alt+f4? I write a script that terminates openbox, waits 0.1 seconds and then starts the 3D window manager and then bind it to the key combo I typically use to start the 3DWM.. This solved the problem completely... for now... until somebody decides to introduce more changes that break things further.

Heaven help the average user who gets stuck in a situation like the above. They will not think to try what I did and solve the problem.

Edited by lost_soul

Dude, that's a guy speculating (wildly) on a blog.

Well, it corresponds with something i read about it some time ago. Can't find the article now, but anyway. What i'm trying to say is, that Steam, as Microsoft with their game stuff, strives for the monopole, as any other company does, which is quite natural for business stuff. They don't propagize Linux, because it's better suited or whatever (how, with the driver situation, and the whole system not optimized for game performance), but because it suits Steam better. And that's the only reason.

Edited by chk772

Actually, ctrl+Q is pretty standard in closing applications in general. In fact, on Mac computers, the sure-fire shortcut to close an application is Cmd+Q.

It certainly makes a lot more sense than alt+f4.

Edited by 161803398874989
  • Like 1

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I had that famous "dist-upgrade and you're dumped at the command line on reboot" experience tonight. Fortunately it was so easy to fix. My kernel headers were installed for the original kernel, but they didn't get updated with the new kernel during the dist-upgrade.

This would have been another "what the fuck!?" moment for the average user, but I had it fixed in less than a minute.

• 8 months later...

I recently discovered a bad RAM module in my machine. Windows would BSOD on occasion for seemingly no reason, until I ran memtest. I use Linux most of the time, and Linux appeared to run "fine" even with the bad RAM. However, files that I would copy would randomly get corrupt without the system complaining at all, so I didn't know it was even happening. This is obviously not acceptable.

Why did Linux not panic the way Windows did? Having an unstable machine that keeps going is worse than a machine that just crashes out-right for obvious reasons.

Edited by lost_soul

I would just like to say that the AMD Radeon Linux drivers have come a long way. I'm typing this on a machine with a Radeon 3000 IGP and it runs beautifully for desktop use. Compiz is buttery-smooth at 1080p, and I can even run my older games in Wine without issue. I could give this thing to a person who isn't into demanding games and they would be perfectly happy with it.

Edited by lost_soul

• 5 months later...

Great news! Its time for another angry rant! I'm using a laptop connected to an external display. I have it so that the external display is used when connected and the internal display is automatically disabled, but guess what? When I launch TDM, the external display in front of my face shuts off, and the internal display comes back on with the game! Seriously, what the fuck? Did I not explicitly choose to disable the internal display during my current X session? Why the living hell does it switch the internal display back on just because I launch a full-screen 3d application? Then, when I quit TDM, the internal display goes off and the external comes back on, as if to taunt me. This is not an Optimus machine. So, far as I understand, there is just a single X instance running. So, why the fuck doesn't "disable" mean "disable"?

This is not the fault of TDM. I imagine any game that I try to run full-screen will do this. Its gotta be something with X.

Edited by lost_soul