The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

It's another holdover from TDS-- Choking guards with moss, but in this case, something NOT moss.

Great. Keep one of the dumbest additions from TDS. I guess we can expect guards slipping on oil too?

I can't see the gameplay rational for a "choke arrow" either. A flashbomb is a tool of escape, something you can drop quickly as you're running away. With an arrow, you're going to have to be pointed at your opponents. What is the purpose of temporarily choking an AI from a distance in a way that clearly telegraphs your presence?

• Like 4

In "Might and Magic" built on the HL engine you could make the trolls slip on oil and fall down and then ignite them. It was fun the first couple times but I didn't use it much after that. Its like using a sword or not. Some scoff at it and some enjoy it; it's nice to have choices.

Predator Mode, Ranged Choking, No Swimming, Guards on Fire...we're on a roll.

The mods seem to have some kind of compulsion to defend the game at every opportunity, even when they're not even addressing what was said ("hope they didn't abandon swimming" becomes "you can still do things with water, like flip switches to make it disappear").

Yes...This is a constant over on the Eidos forums. Any obvious game-based negative becomes an unrelenting mission to spin it into a positive, whenever possible...Combine this with reality twisting statements, such as..."it's only a few people who are saying bad things about NuThief"...and..."people are just being negative"...which is of course insulting and laughable, to all of the well-informed and perceptive community members.

"Moderator Mode" takes less than 1% of a person's time...

...and for you, the other 99% is "Shill Mode".

Lady...You should come to terms with your inner shill, and reveal your dishonesty for all to see...Only then will you ever have a chance to regain any credibility and respect, in this fine community.

...and please accept my deepest condolences, for your tremendous loss at TTLG.

~ Vae

I stopped reading about Thi4f when I heard that jumping and mantling were restricted to certain parts of the levels. After that I was too scared to read anything. I still am.

...No Swimming...

Bloody fantastic! Now I've got to stop reading the Thief 4 is trash thread!

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Like with Hitman Absolution I'll be somewhat happy if it turns out to be crap (from what is known so far I'm pretty confident this will turn out to be crap and even moreso than H:A which seemed to be somewhat true to the originals), since I wouldn't be able to play it anyways, but TDM (just barely) runs on my PC, so I'm not missing out on anything. Shame there is no TDM equivalent for Hitman... anyone interested in making The Bald Mod?

76561198061377149.png

I'm half expecting it to be a similar experience to Hitman: Absolution too. Although I disagree with you on H:A being crap, it is definitely a great game in its own right - it just isn't a true Hitman game. Kind of like Splinter Cell: Conviction. I felt deeply betrayed when I played it, as probably most die-hard SC fans did, but the game is definitely not bad. The more I hear about T4 though the more skeptical I am about it. It's entirely possible it will be both a betrayal and an underwhelming game.

Someone here desperately needs a cuddle. :D

From Facebook:

Only 100 more days until the launch of Thief!

(97 if you're in North America)

I really can't wait.

BTW.... I think the choke arrows appear only in the digital download Master Thief edition.... as part of the Booster Pack.

Although I disagree with you on H:A being crap,

Crap is the wrong word I guess. I'm pretty sure that it would be kinda fun if I played it, just like T4 probably, or like all the (few) current gen (or is it last gen already?) games I've played, like Dead Space, Saboteur and a few of the newer CODs. I could even imagine myself finishing them, but I highly doubt it'll be the kind of deeply satisfying fun I had (and still have) with games like T2 or Homeworld 2 (Complex rocks!). Newer AAA titles are so streamlined and fancy it's hard not to be entertained in some way, so that's also not my criteria for them being good. But yeah, crap is too strong a word (for Hitman Absolution that is, compared to what T4 seems to become it really was more of a modernized sequel, whereas T4 is a total reboot mostly ignoring the "DNA" of the prequels).

76561198061377149.png

Its like using a sword or not. Some scoff at it and some enjoy it; it's nice to have choices.

Not always. All choices have an effect on the game, and some do more harm than good.

I think the choke arrows appear only in the digital download Master Thief edition.... as part of the Booster Pack.

i will trade you choke arrows, focus, and all swoop functionality for the digital preorder ass rape edition in return for the bank mission and freejumping in the vanilla version. 3 for 2. good deal, yes?

Edited by ungoliant
  • Like 1

Depends on what its used for, what's its turning, and the forces there in. And actually it wouldn't break as silver is generally soft compared to even mild steel. It would have teeth sheered off of it if the intended role put too much force against the teeth and eventually it would just be a shiny circle with no teeth.

Silver is the new gold, haven't you heard? 2 skins per item is over budget.