The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I'm excited to experience different weather in Thief, I even hope it is possible to sit on a rooftop and listen to the sound of the rain hitting the tiles. :D

i know in the uk they use salt to turn the hide into leather, I know this is true cause I once worked in a leather factory, the smell is horrendous, from all the blood and rotting flesh, and I only lasted a week. you are basically working outside, rubbing salt on the hides and turning them, they didn't stretch or scrape them, it were a mixture of sheep hide and cow hide, took about 3 weeks to turn hide into leather. after it becomes leather it was sent to some other place to be dyed and turned into other things.

I hate how the shroud effect looks. Hoods may look very thief like, even iconic. I think that they look cool, but have you ever looked behind yourself while wearing a hoodie or any other kind of hood? They Block a lot of your view. A tight ninja style mask would be more ideal, but I don't think that any version of Garrett would look as cool with it. Regardless of what kind of hood Garrett wears, I hate the shroud effect.

Another lame aesthetic is how the new Garrett holds his hands in front of his face like he's Ricky Bobby. Imagine how hilarious it would look to see the new Garrett in Third person with his hands held right in front of his face like that :laugh:

Edited by SirGen

To be fair, I actually really like how Garrett reaches out to grab door handles, loot, levers etc. It looks a lot cooler than the old school "close range telekinesis" that most all games use to interact with the environment. I could do without the corner gripping though.

The proximity of Garrett's hands to his face probably isn't any more absurd than the weapon wielding hands of most first-person games, but I still think that it looks ridiculous!

Edited by SirGen

i was watching a video of the recent batman game, and it became obvious after awhile that when batman goes through a door its a set animation that basically takes him out of the game, to play the animation, then puts him back into the game after he's gone through it. usually into trouble, because their aren't any enemy seen in the other room when he goes through the door, but when he gets into the other room its full of enemy. I wonder if its been done like that in thief 4. cos after awhile that hands on door mechanic in the video's that have been shown looks the same every time. same with the hidden switch in the picture frame. someone in a review of a beta play of thief 4 says the picture hidden switch is used too often, like there was a "picture with a switch 'craze'" and everyone brought one.

running's generous but limited to short dashes, a heart icon flashing on-screen to indicate the thief's near exhaustion.

So does this mean there's a stamina meter for running, or is he just talking about the "swoop"?

including choke arrows (to briefly distract guards)

What the hell is a "choke arrow"?

sweep the camera over objects and a contextual icon pops up letting you know you can swipe them.

Oh great. :rolleyes:

I just read a review written by The Guy whom EM made those hands for

Well it's great that people who "dislike first-person stealth games" and are "utterly crap at them" can come away from the game with "confidence", and even "could argue it's too easy." That should be their new marketing slogan: "Thief: Stealth for people who hate stealth games."

• Like 1

How would an arrow "choke" a guard, though? Is that just another name for gas arrows? (choking on gas?)

Rock Paper Shotgun has posted a Paul Weir interview. It doesn't clear anything up.

My guess - because the original intention was that Weir was going to carefully and meticulously craft all the audio, and then left a few months later - is that it went south. But that's wild speculation.

Edited by jay pettitt
  • Like 1

Re: The choke arrow. My intuition is that calling it a "gas arrow" would suggest it'd KO the guard, since that's what they historically did, and they thought that would be overpowered. So they just made it incapacitate the guard for a few seconds choking, and then called it a new name to avoid player's thinking it behaves like a gas arrow.

Smoke arrow would also be a bad name since that implies it puffs up a cloud of smoke for the player to run through. So I can see how they got to a name like choke arrow to concisely & unambiguously capture what it is.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.