The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4 is trash.

Mystry

I thought Woah was being rather glum. At least that's how I interpreted it.

People who are glum are unfortunately sick from The Gloom. :o

For me, these people are now affectionately known as 'Gloomsies'. :laugh:

People who are glum are unfortunately sick from The Gloom.

Yeah, from all of that gloom generated by EM...It's enough to make any community rebuke the irresponsible ill-conceivers, due to the foul stench.

For me, these people are now affectionately known as 'Gloomsies'.

So most in the THIEF community are "Gloomsies", simply because they recognize the unfortunate reality that is NuThief...As if somehow EM isn't responsible for their poor decision-making, and everyone should just smile while the franchise is being twisted and defiled right before them.

I think now you will be affectionately known as "Idiotsies".

I desperately hope it isn't as bad as it looks. Having all three giants of stealth be homeopathized like this is too much for my heart to bear.

EDIT: But it's looking pretty bad so I sincerely doubt it.

Edited by Bridge

@ Vae. Do you habitually catch yourself taking things too seriously or misunderstanding? Try to read my words as I write them, so that you understand. Unless you deliberately intend to misread what I say; which would be odd. But I never said "most"; you did. I used the word 'these'; which obviously only refers to those people who would consider themselves to be glum about everything. As far as I can tell, there are not many of them.

Whether you are genuinely upset by the game's content or think that joking is a form of personal attack, learning to understand why you might be overreacting and overlooking the genuine humor and/or good things about the game is a useful beginning to loosening up a little. :D

Anyway, not everyone shares your PoV about the game, same as others don't share mine. We're totally equal.

EDIT

I desperately hope it isn't as bad as it looks. Having all three giants of stealth be homeopathized like this is too much for my heart to bear.

EDIT: But it's looking pretty bad so I sincerely doubt it.

I really like the way the game "looks", tbh. Not sure how it will "feel", of course. That's whats important to me.

Edited by Viktoria

My bad. I understand now.

Though even if I was a Purist, I would still like "some" of what I have seen and heard... even if I had to add a dash of caution.

Anyway, time will tell.

Edited by Viktoria

Fortunately, I am already vegetarian (pescatarian to be exact), so there is nothing I have to worry about. :D

I used the word 'these'; which obviously only refers to those people who would consider themselves to be glum about everything. As far as I can tell, there are not many of them.

From an absolute level, no one is glum about everything...yet, the vast majority of fans are clearly disappointed by most of the poor decisions that EM has made...The cosmology, lore, and simulative gameplay have all been objectively compromised, due to the contextual gameplay restrictions and a lower-fidelity stealth system...Of course, an incompetent such as you, isn't able to correctly extrapolate the meaningful outcome of all of this unfortunate information...so you blunder around like a fool in the dark, and mistakenly think: * I am unable to correctly extrapolate = everyone is unable to correctly extrapolate *

Whether you are genuinely upset by the game's content or think that joking is a form of personal attack, learning to understand why you might be overreacting and overlooking the genuine humor and/or good things about the game is a useful beginning to loosening up a little.

Again, you attempt to mischaracterize, by suggesting that my observations are skewed by some negative emotional basis, which makes me unable to see the "good things about the game"...nothing could be further from the truth...The overall production values for NuThief will be greater than any of the classic games, as well as some of the technical artistry...Although, these things hold little weight when compared to the mega-list of negatives...and so the net result is unfortunately very negative, when all things are weighed and qualified as a THIEF game.

I notice that you have a difficult time comprehending what other people say, so I will quote this again...in hope, that it will penetrate the thick bubble that encapsulates you...

Again, you fail to understand the situation...Unlike you, most of the community has standards...and upholding these standards serves to benefit the integrity and future expansion of the community...Any expressions, whether they are positive or negative, are solely based on the consequences of the information itself...and are not reflective of a personal state of being.

So from now on, if you choose to mischaracterize the astute and adept members of this community, we'll all know that you're doing it maliciously.

• Like 1

Haha. The way you take a little joke about The Gloom and twist it into something you take really personally makes you my "Number One Gloomsie", for sure. :D

__

Anyway, back on topic.... Thief, the game. I believe we're expecting some goodness today.

As an addendum to jtr7's post, in my opinion an experience isn't made up of some parts, it's made up of all of the parts working together in harmony. So while yes, the new Thief very well may have some positive aspects to it - hell, perhaps even some that end up revolutionizing Thief and stealth gameplay at large - they are rendered meaningless if all of the other elements are working against them or are simply too neutral to have an effect on anything. Which, incidentally, is something you can quite easily infer from the wealth of evidence that has surfaced thus far.

Just a reminder that namecalling isn't permitted here. Debates, arguments, and telling people they're wrong are all fine.

So most in the THIEF community are "Gloomsies", simply because they recognize the unfortunate reality that is NuThief...As if somehow EM isn't responsible for their poor decision-making, and everyone should just smile while the franchise is being twisted and defiled right before them.

Agreed. And will say we fans talk just because of nostalgia. They think they can simply control us thinking to keep the community silent. This is happening a lot very recently, a shame many people don't rise their voices to be heard. I'm seeing a future with voices yelling at the franchise.

Haha. The way you take a little joke about The Gloom and twist it into something you take really personally makes you my "Number One Gloomsie", for sure. :D

Just curious... what do you mean by Gloomsie?

Edited by Loa4ever

As an addendum to jtr7's post, in my opinion an experience isn't made up of some parts, it's made up of all of the parts working together in harmony. So while yes, the new Thief very well may have some positive aspects to it - hell, perhaps even some that end up revolutionizing Thief and stealth gameplay at large - they are rendered meaningless if all of the other elements are working against them or are simply too neutral to have an effect on anything. Which, incidentally, is something you can quite easily infer from the wealth of evidence that has surfaced thus far.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I remember how utterly disappointed I was with certain elements in TDS - they certainly broke the harmony of the game as a whole for me and I only ever played it the one time. I had inferred from the wealth of evidence presented in trailers and subsequent promotion that TDS was going to be as enjoyable to play as the first two games. Sadly, this was not the case.

My disappointment in TDS is probably the key reason why I'm looking forward to Thief. I mean, how remarkably unfortunate it would be to be left with the same feeling I had with TDS. This might be the case; but, from what I've seen/heard so far, I believe Thief will turn out to be a much more enjoyable game to play... but, like others, I can only speak for myself.

Just curious... what do you mean by Gloomsie?

Nothing wrong with being curious. No real meaning, its just a fun play on words. If you look back you'll see that 161803398874989 said there is no reason to feel glum, fans can fix things. So I joked about how being glum is probably due to The Gloom. If this plague idea had been used in the original game, perhaps the Pagans would have called the sick townsfolk 'Gloomsies'... as per their usual dialect style.

@ Springheel: Hopefully, having a sense of humour is fine here? :laugh:

Well apparently today they are going to release a Q&A sort of thing on their webpage which will explain things pertaining to the UI and customization.

I am very interested to see what they do, and I mean I do feel conflicted because I really want to love Thief 4 but maybe its just a game you have to approach with a completely open mind. Look at Duke Nukem Forever so many people HATED that game but I actually really thoroughly enjoyed it.. I bought it on release day and finished it over the span of a few days and had a blast purely because I held it upto its own merits.

Perhaps we will never get an experience like Thief 2 again, if looking glass studios was around today how do you HONESTLY think they would handle this release?. I mean there are a few things about Thief 4 that are really really cool and I am excited for, and some things like say the voice acting I am very unsure about (I mean Basso really?).

I think like everything in life we just have to wait until it's released and see the whole picture, at the moment we have only seen a small piece of the puzzle when the only person who sees the whole picture is Eidos Montreal. Maybe when we see everything together it's fantastic and great, maybe not we just have to wait and see but I personally think it will be a damn good experience and hey The Dark Mod, Thief 1-2-3 will always be here so we have that to fall back on if they REALLY screw up Thief 4 but we don't know yet.

It's like everything in life, I'm sure there are people here who will love it and some who will really hate it.

Sadly, this was not the case.

I'm a TDS apologist personally. Yeah, the mechanics are totally broken but I somehow managed to adapt to them and soldier through the game. Now I find it virtually impossible to revisit after getting used to the original Thief mechanics - among the most solid controls in any game ever in my opinion - it's just so clumsy and awkward. But I was personally a huge fan of the level design, limited as it may be (with the area-connecting fog bullshit), with many extremely memorable levels. I also found the story to be pretty good personally. As good as Thief 1+2 no, but it had its moments and it wasn't a betrayal or anything. Overall it was a worthy sequel in my opinion, just bogged down by some questionable design and horrible controls. Also, Robbing the Cradle. Need I say more?

The Cradle was a redeeming feature, I agree.

I figure we'll be saying pretty much the same about Thief as we have done for the previous games. This and that was good... and this and that was bad; it had its moments, it wasn't a betrayal etc.. all depending on our personal preferences, of course.

Well apparently today they are going to release a Q&A sort of thing on their webpage which will explain things pertaining to the UI and customization.

I am very interested to see what they do, and I mean I do feel conflicted because I really want to love Thief 4 but maybe its just a game you have to approach with a completely open mind. Look at Duke Nukem Forever so many people HATED that game but I actually really thoroughly enjoyed it.. I bought it on release day and finished it over the span of a few days and had a blast purely because I held it upto its own merits.

Perhaps we will never get an experience like Thief 2 again, if looking glass studios was around today how do you HONESTLY think they would handle this release?. I mean there are a few things about Thief 4 that are really really cool and I am excited for, and some things like say the voice acting I am very unsure about (I mean Basso really?).

I think like everything in life we just have to wait until it's released and see the whole picture, at the moment we have only seen a small piece of the puzzle when the only person who sees the whole picture is Eidos Montreal. Maybe when we see everything together it's fantastic and great, maybe not we just have to wait and see but I personally think it will be a damn good experience and hey The Dark Mod, Thief 1-2-3 will always be here so we have that to fall back on if they REALLY screw up Thief 4 but we don't know yet.

It's like everything in life, I'm sure there are people here who will love it and some who will really hate it.

I agree with much of what you say.

As for how LGS would have handled the next release... they were going with a totally modern setting with Garrett dressed in jeans and a hoodie. Needless to say, its another reason why I'm glad its in EM's hands and they've stuck with the medieval/victorian setting. Phew! :D

Yeah, the next Q&A session should happen very soon. I'm eager to hear more.

Edited by Viktoria

http://community.eid...-Time-Episode-4

New Q&A Session!

blog_customui_big.jpg

UI_Alarm.gif

UI_Loot.gif

blog_customdiff_big.jpg

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

Wow that means you can basically play with no ui at all if you want. This all looks very very cool!

Possibly one of the most customizable UI's I have ever seen I mean you can completely tailor it to what you want, thats very bad ass!

Edited by Goldwell