The Dark Mod Forums

'Thief' & 'E3 2013' official information, articles & interviews

Kvorning

Haha perfect scroll down to read the text and see that right after.

Did I get a bad download or does the interview cut off right after "..-it's not critical."?

By the way, someone give this guy a microphone to plug into his phone :P

Edited by Kvorning

Here's an article describing how stealth works, in more detail than I've seen anywhere else.

Sounds like stealth is basically trinary. Either you're visible, invisible, or partially visible, and if the latter, you have a certain number of seconds to get back into the shadows before guards go to full alert.

He wasn't impressed, overall.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/20/the-world-of-thief-and-its-degrees-of-darkness/

Man, my opinion of Roy has taken a real nose dive over the past week. More comments from him:

"We cannot say, 'oh sorry, we missed, so we are going to try again.' No, it doesn't work that way," he added. "So we cannot compromise, we must really give a good product, we must work closely with the marketing to make sure that the messaging around the game is really clear."

"For Thief, the first thing is to make sure we convince people that it's a Thief game. If we put the Thief sticker on the box, it's because we respect the franchise," he said.

Maybe instead of "convincing people that it's a Thief game" and worrying so much about the "messaging", you should worry about actually MAKING it a Thief game?

• Like 1

"playing Thief at E3 on the PS4" so its not 'coming to the console'... its ON the consoles already and probably was all along. Of course to ignore this market is asinine if you want to make money and making money it seems is their primary goal probably because they have so much mismanaged money dumped in this game.

I'm sure it will be a fun, enjoyable game but linking it in any way to the Thief franchise while you're playing though will make you wANt to hate it because clearly it bares hardly any resemblance.

Like they said in the interview you linked, Springheel. This is Theif for the AAA space.

Like Yoda said, "Do or do not...there is no try. That is why you fail." ...and Eidos Montreal did not.

So we can look at it for what it is, a different game made by different people with different reasons OR a total and utter crushing travesty to the Thief franchise.

One thing is for sure, we can get lots of screenshots from the scenery and use them as inspiration for The Dark Mod! Win.

And true fans of the series will be playing TDM 2.0 next gen Thief and not the new game.

Edited by Lux

I would comment, but seeing as I cannot say much positive in light of what I saw of the gameplay, I think I will refrain. I sincerely hope they reconsider the direction they are taking, though from experience a "pre-alpha" that takes on such a close-to-finished state is in reality closer to a beta. Hence, the Thief 1/2 style gameplay that I know and love is officially dead, yet continues unofficially in the Dark Mod.

If we put the Thief sticker on the box, it's because we respect the franchise

I lol'd. I can totally see stephane walking around a grocery store putting thief stickers on various produce, or boxes of cereal, and proclaiming this proves he respects the franchise.

The DNA of the franchise. -_-

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

it still reads like they lost the plot, or didn't even understand it in the first place.

(it means they don't know what a thief game is, and they don't know what they are doing. [just in case someone doesn't know what the term 'lost the plot' means])

QTE combat ahoy! Also: this somehow counts as progressive.

Thief project lead Stephane Roy has been explaining more about the PS4 stealth game’s new combat. The bullet-time, QTE-based system is one of the biggest departures from the series’ canon but according to Roy it was changed after playtest feedback that the old swordplay, “didn’t work”.

Thief’s combat redesigned to let you, “get the f*ck out”

Roy says the combat was a big challenge for Eidos Montréal. Early in development the studio playtested the old game’s original style of more direct fighting. “A lot of people, a menagerie of people, told us okay, ‘it doesn’t work. Ten years later, that type of gameplay doesn’t work’, said Roy. “I don’t know if you remember with the previous game? Let’s say I’ve been detected; it was really, really tough to survive. You know? It was unforgiving. Game over”.

The change says Roy is simply a sign of gameplay progress. “How we used to play games ten years ago and how we play games today is different. So that’s why we are supporting this new way to play”.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It somehow remind me "Severance: Blade of darkness" : learning when to strike between enemy attacks take hours, not minutes -but god how rewarding this game is, one of my favourite. In Thief they should make slooooow tutorial progress, with one hit enemies. Instead they will soon give us Skyrim with horde of dragons at game start, and keep nerfing them until "test group" say: "yeah that was good, no one had to swear even once."

They just go with 15 minutes rule: if it does not catch quick, player will throw it away and go watch tv. Most of players don't finish games anyway, so whole steam in whistle!

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Ten years later, that type of gameplay doesn’t work’, said Roy.

The more I hear from the this guy, the more I get the impression that he doesn't even LIKE playing Thief.

You know, its funny how times and people have changed.

Personally what I would like are the good games we used to play, SS1, SS2, Thief, etc. with the same mechanics, only improved. Improved visuals, taking the same mechanics and further exploring them, more complexity adds immersion in mechanics.

I enjoy doing things in games like, picking up items, lock picking, checking my inventory, inspecting things, reading things, manipulating things, etc.

Farcry 2 had some very good HUD elements where you'd pull up your map and compass/gps right in front of you in game. I thought, "all games should do this". Less interface, more immersion.

Instead you get many many people clammoring on forums for "easy", ease of use. It sucks that there isn't a lot of "game" left in modern games. The difficulty is pathetic and when you do crank up the difficulty all you get are enemies that insta-shot you or 1/10th the health you had before or enemies that take 20 shots to kill. So unrealistic and broken. Of course creating mechanics that actually are good takes more time and testing and of course, money.

I have an idea, lets take a great game that you used to love and "reboot" it! But tHIS time we'll make it more like a MOVIe! or even better... like a painting that you just look at and all you have to do is press start and sit back and enjoy!! AWSOME YEAH! (sarcasm)

Its getting to the point where only MAYbe 1 good game every 2 years comes out. You guys play Miasmata? REally good time, that game, if you don't read about it, look at the web for tutorials, spoilers, guides, etc. Just figure it out. Its an amazing game done by and indy dev.

These are some of the reasons I enjoy TDM; its one of those mods that still focuses on some complexity in the play experience and some level of skill required by the player.

Edited by Lux
  • Like 2

Personally what I would like are the good games we used to play, SS1, SS2, Thief, etc. with the same mechanics, only improved. Improved visuals, taking the same mechanics and further exploring them, more complexity adds immersion in mechanics

That's why we're all here. :)

You guys play Miasmata?

Checked it out, thought "What the heck" and bought it from GOG for £5, half-price (the comments that sold it for me were that it was a Dear Esther you can actually play, and that you get penalised for running around. I hate running around). Just spent 45 mins wandering around (slowly) - there're a few glitches/design points that are a bit 'uh?' (I picked a banana up the day before - I'm still carrying it and don't know how to put it down), but I think I could end up getting into it. There is a slight Dear Esther vibe, but in this you can climb over things that are more than ankle-height. :)

On the downside, I've already found at least two spelling mistakes in the readables. post-9265-0-73116600-1372289246.gif

Hehe, yeah that stuff doesn't really bother me.

The microscope animations and stuff are interesting. They're not done great but they're interesting and when you find something in the woods you just want to get it back between two slides and see what it is, or at least I do. The map is pretty big and the whole triangulation thing, once you figure it out by trial and error is pretty neat.

I also really liked the physics they give the player for sliding down slopes or speeding you up when you run down something which gives you momentum to maybe get up something you couldn't normally.

There's a lot of neat things in the game.

They just go with 15 minutes rule: if it does not catch quick, player will throw it away and go watch tv. Most of players don't finish games anyway, so whole steam in whistle!

That's what bothers me the most in current gaming: That people are actually not finishing their games, for one reason or the other. Games react to that, of course, so we have to endure this focus-group tested tripe that's called AAA now. Just look at Deus Ex: HR: Only 38.8 percent of the players have reached the achievement "The End", which means that just two thirds have actually finished the game. I don't have the exact numbers (too lazy to Google), but the same was with Dead Space, which is why the follow-up games were dumbed down so much. By the way, other games fare even worse.

• Like 1

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

people are actually not finishing their games, for one reason or the other...

I don't have the exact numbers (too lazy to Google),

Irony meter rising.... :P

• Like 1

Waking up unconscious guards was a feature in Splinter Cell 2 or 3. It was quite a good one, because it dimishes the sense of knocking out everyone in the map if you don't have the patience to hide their bodies. This would be a good addition for TDM, too, although difficult to implement as far as I've read.

Not necessarily, we already have an animation wherein an AI will kneel on the ground to check a fallen AI, at this point the unconscious guard could wake up. An animation would have to be created for the get up sequence though.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

And then we'd need to supply all the missing code to get the AI back from being a ragdoll, and figure out how he's going to get his weapon back, assuming the player didn't make off with it, and get him back on patrol, give him back his visual stim, etc. etc.

.......respawn him with a new one?

Not going to be very satisfying if a KO'd guard suddenly has his weapon pop back and merrily goes on his patrol again.

Am wondering what the boss fight is going to be like, and if there is more than one, because thief 1, 2 and 3 don't really have boss fights, but they could have seen that as a negative and to be progressive they've added a few.

eg 1 you swap the eye, 2 you recall the servants, 3 you place the relic's (even though you could drown the hag in the harbour with a well placed oil patch.)

Edited by stumpy

Boss fight? how ridiculous... I remember facing some hard moment in thief2 (or was it some FM) where you get embushed in a small place with lots of hostile you have to flee/hide. that could be seen as an "end level trial" but boss fight? lol we do not fight...

Edited by elwing

Not going to be very satisfying if a KO'd guard suddenly has his weapon pop back and merrily goes on his patrol again.

You could respawn him with an inferior weapon.

A guard has a longsword. If the player KOs him and someone wakes him up, he pulls a dagger from his boot or something.

There are other issues too: what if the player drags the KOd AI under a bed or a chair. Then when he is woken up, he is out of valid AAS area. So we need the waking guard somehow drag the KOd AI back to AAS region.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.