The Dark Mod Forums

Sotha's Animations

Sotha

I don't think you should try and have impact splashes, as there's no way of knowing exactly what the height of the ground will be.

I don't think you should try and have impact splashes, as there's no way of knowing exactly what the height of the ground will be.

Well i'm guessing it would be where their feet are. Unless they are pissing up a hill it should work just fine

Looking great Sotha.

One observation though. the timing of the audio is a bit off. There is a period of silent peeing from 0:13 to 0:15. It's a minor issue, but something that is very noticeable at least in that video.

Are you using the gentle_trickle.ogg? It sounds quite similar, but it seems much shorter.

What if they're pissing over a ledge or against a building?

Yeah you're right I didn't think of that.. damn

Maybe have one with the splash and one without that way if we do a scripted event (that for whatever reason requires peeing) it can be included if we want it. But that's obviously upto Sotha

Yes there is...you can detach things on specific alert levels (see the ai lantern for an example). I think if you combine that with the spawnarg that destroys things when they're detached you'd get the right effect?

Not sure about the particle effect.

The particle is attached to the member, so destroying the member removes the particles too. I know how to use the unbind_on_alertindex spawnarg, but can you please tell me what is the name of the spawnarg that destroys things when they are removed?

The best effect would let the member stick around for a while if the AI is downed, but I think the thing should be removed if the AI is alerted.

I don't know if you care enough or if its possible (I assume it is though) but at the end of the stream where it comes into contact with the ground maybe have like little splashes happening, nothing to intense but just a subtle little effect would look pretty cool. As at the moment it looks like the pee is just going through the world.

Technically, making splashes on the floor, at the position where the pee hits is very, very difficult. It is only a cosmetic thing, and getting it right would require far too much work.

One observation though. the timing of the audio is a bit off. There is a period of silent peeing from 0:13 to 0:15. It's a minor issue, but something that is very noticeable at least in that video.

Are you using the gentle_trickle.ogg? It sounds quite similar, but it seems much shorter.

Yes, the audio is the one you provided. I just roughly cut it to fit the anim. Once I do the final tweaks, and I'm sure the anim is nearing its final forms, I'll tune the trickle to fit the anim perfectly.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay folks.

I have been dead-busy lately and I want to close some projects in order to avoid being burned out.

Here is the urinating AI:

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

It is a zip package that contains

*All the files necessary to get the AI in to the game. Just drop the contents in your darkmod folder and you have an urinating thug AI. Now he finally can piss where he wants to piss. You will find him in AI/Urinating folder.

*A blender file with Arcturus' animation rig and the urinating animation. Feel free to make improvements or adjustments if you so wish. I used Blender 2.68a and md5 exporter by nemyax

*A testmap to see it in action "urinate.map"

To get more urinating AIs, you need to edit the def files. There are some crude instructions there. To get an urinating version of a specific AI, you gotta copy the defs, and probably dig through the darkmod AI.pk4s to find the model name and the entity name you need to replace in the urinating AI version.

If the team decides to include the urinating animation into the mod, then of course all male AIs should inherit the ability to piss.

I grant everyone the right to use these noncommercially to anything they want. Crediting me for the creation of the animation would be nice and polite, but not absolutely mandatory. I am grateful for Arcturus for the rig, nemyax for the exporter and Springheel and grayman for the valuable advice they gave me.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Clipper

That prayer is hilarious! Isn't there an AI that says "I'll piss where I wanna piss"?

Great work. I would say however that I think including the member is possibly too much, can it be made invisible?

The thug character (one of my favourites) says that.

I come from a culture where nudity and genitals is not a big taboo and people liberally go into sauna naked with strangers (sometimes of the opposite sex) without any issues.

I do acknowledge that people from different cultures might have some issues with it. Mappers who really, really cannot bear to live with the thought of seeing something like this, and absolutely refuse to look at the topic with a bit more liberal and open state of mind, could always skin the penis to have a nodraw texture.

Just place this into your skins folder, and add spawnarg

"skin" "invisible_penis"

into the entityDef atdm:penis, which is located in urinating_ai.def

skin invisible_penis
{
model	 models/darkmod/urinating/penis.ase
gib_hand textures/common/nodraw
}

I didn't bother to test it, but I suppose it works.

Clipper

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not personally opposed to it, just thinking about players of the mod who might object based on their own cultural background. But now that I think about it, some of the vocals the guards shout at you are hardly tame so I imagine it would be a whole lot of effort to cater for such an audience.

• 5 weeks later...

If you're taking requests, one thing we're sorely missing is "cower" animations for female characters. Right now, if there's nowhere for them to run they just stand idle, which makes it look like they don't care about you at all. At least the male character play some random cower animations. The females don't have that, though, and I don't have the means to make any new ones anymore.

Why can't the females play the male cower anims?

I guess they could, but the animations are different sizes. When females play male animations, they actually grow larger. I don't have Maya any longer, so I can't re-export the male animations at the right size.

..Aand what are the circumstances when the AI plays the cower anim, I've never seen it in action, I've only scripted it.

When AI (maybe only civilians) are running from the player and have no access to a flee point, they will play their cower animation (randomly, I think).

So the anims are played pretty rarely. Is the growing noticeable?

The male cower anims are pretty good, IIRC, so I dunno if it is worth the fuss to make new anims, which would probably be of lower quality.

Clipper

This week, noticed some young lovers hugging and kissing in a public place. Realizing it is soon spring (and valentines day) I decided to continue an animation project I put on hiatus long ago.

The challenge was to make two TDM AI's to -like you guessed it- hug and kiss. I only had a core pose I had made in the past, but tonight I rebuilt the entire thing and the results are rather cute. It was surprisingly simple to make the AI align in a predictable way so that the distances are always right. I simply use a conversation to control the thing.

See here:

It should work for all the AI types reasonably well, as shown here:

So... The TDM universe has now a small speck of love in it. That is an ingredient the mappers can use to cook some dark and gritty stuff, I'm sure! :D

Clipper

Lol! Love the zombie-hug.

Looks like the right hand might be bending awkwardly though...on the wench it looked like the wrist joint was twisted around to a point.

Yep, the arms are very difficult for the females. I don't know why. Only a slight rotation on a female hand results in ugly knot, while the arms look fine for male characters.

If I use other joints to make the hand go to the correct direction, I end up with knows elsewhere. See here:

L9uWJgn.png

1) starting point. As you see, the wrist is in the wrong direction. I've rotated it in the anim. Males look fine, females get the knot to the wrist.

2) If I use the control point marked with T, I get a knot at the position marked with arrow and K.

3) Same thing, I get a knot elsewhere.

So I don't have any idea how to get the hand correctly without getting knots somewhere. Anyone with ideas?

Clipper

Male hands are not attached to the rest of the arm, so they can rotate relatively freely without affecting the arm. Females with bare arms can't do that. It is awkward, but try shifting the rotation to the elbow a bit.

Yep, it is very very tricky, but with interplay of all the marked joints and the elbow I got an improvement.

Also I swapped neck turning with head turning which should fix the head-dislocation problem for female AI.

• Like 2

Clipper