The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Lords & Legacy by Kvorning (2013/08/30)

Kvorning

@Maude Zuck

Nothing major will be changed, I promise:). I had some good beta testers who made sure almost everything was in line. And one hell of a dedicated alpha tester who is the responsible for at least a 3rd of the content.

@Lux

Thank you so much and I'm very pleased to hear you're enjoying it and even picked up some of the Easter eggs. I don't know how many you've found, but there's probably a few more ;). One of them might be a tad too nerdy for most to get, so I've made sure to hide it well.

I think it's the new version, as Bikerdude has been very helpful to create and update the mirrors.

If there's a black carpet in Lancel's bedroom, then it's the new version and should be working each time. As for the window, I must have accidentally given it an invalid skin. Quite an eye sore. I'll make sure to get the zfighting fixed as well for a future version, as that does draw quite a lot of attention once you notice it :P. As for the windows I wish I could have had them always be open with a vis_portal on either side, but it was too hard on performance in the big areas. It did look incredible though, but had to compromise. I've got a good idea for making the openable windows more obvious, for next version. A smoother fade in will have to wait until TDM 2.0 though.

Feedback on bugs and other things is always welcome, so do let me know if you catch more things!

Oh and just a heads-up to you and anyone else who like to explore and get "everything done"; I couldn't even get the "Master Thief" with 30 saves. I ended using tdm_show_loot to see what I had forgotten and then gave up and went to bed. However I do hope some are able to get all 3 optional objectives done in one game, without cheating :)

Edited by Kvorning

@Kvorning

I finished with ~5188 loot, got briefly spotted just once but it just sent the guard in to search mode and wasn't a full on 5, sword drawn afair. Still that crossed off the Ghost objective then and there unfortunately.

I frobbed a book on a shelf and it made the loot sound so I kept frobbing and picked up several books and also some additional loot. With loot hidden that well I don't personally bother to find every single piece so I wouldn't ever be looking at the Master Thief objective. I do enjoy a good ghost though. There's an ass in every chair though and I'm sure there are those that appreciate the lengths you've gone to.

Edited by Lux

Yeah I had "Ghost" mandatory for a while, but quickly found out that it bugs too much to be a requirement. Quick save ftw :)

The loot behind the books is ridiculously hidden to be honest. The only clue is that he's got a stash, and why does a fence or shady type like him, have so many books. I might change the clue a bit

Well there's 2 female characters in the mission and only one of them has a prob assigned, but that's to belt_back_right, which is pretty standard. Don't know what is causing the problem to be honest.

I'm sure this is the only mission where you get the problem, but I think you need to ask one of the mod guys. :/

Lovely mission, possibly the best looking I've seen, and very nicely structured. I love the multiple paths into location, the ghosting friendly aspect, and the map feels *huge*.

Can I request a little hint, please?

I've found both lord's rooms and done the letter objective ... but I can't see how to take the crown (I presume this is the "heirloom") out of its locked box in Robert's bedroom.

Maybe I need to go off wandering some more?

The corridor from the service tower with the *two* creaky floorboards and hyper vigilant guard and servant

was entertaining to get through. In the end I

used a rope arrow to creep along the ceiling joists.

Amusing after all that effort to find myself back where I'd started!

Thank you very much and I'm glad you're having fun! As mentioned earlier the ghost thing can bug a bit, so if you're going for it, make sure to save often. :)

The display case for the heirloom needs to be picked before you can take it. There's no key for it. Glad you found an alternative route to get by the guard who drank too much coffee before his shift. I had a lot of fun making that passage.

Edited by Kvorning

Congratulations Kvorning,

I'm about to commence playing. Will report back after finishing but from what I've read here in the forum...Sounds awesome.

Well here I go wish me luck :D

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

@Maude Zuck

Nothing major will be changed, I promise:). I had some good beta testers who made sure almost everything was in line. And one hell of a dedicated alpha tester who is the responsible for at least a 3rd of the content.

Alright. Excellent. So now... as has been said before and now and again:

I'm

Going

In

;)

Have fun gents and good luck! :)

I do feel like a bit of a douche for saying I wouldn't update for weeks, but I just uploaded a new version to mediafire (Sorry Bikerdude, I broke my promise!). Small tweaks and fixes, nothing story changing or anything major though.

v.1.0.2 changelog:

Bugfixes:

-Fixed zfighting in the library's bookshelves

-Fixed a black window in one of the towers

-Fixed several typos in readables

Gameplay:

-Added a visual clue to which windows can be accessed.

-Adjusted the "slipperyness" of cables and ropes, still watch your step though.

Edited by Kvorning

Just playing your map and it is hard on TDM 2.0.

Loving it though really excellent first mission. This is an amusing side effect of the TDM engine physics or something but made a vid of it after I stopped laughing so hard:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F7539D361BD41522!185&authkey=!AJ4R25w2aYqcrlA

I just moved the chess board.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

The display case for the heirloom needs to be picked before you can take it.

Ah, for some reason I was having trouble frobbing it. Now I'm just under 300 loot short, and although my ghost target is still good there seem to be an awful lot of excited people about now, so I suspect I should have failed the ghost target by now.

@tr00pertj

Haha physics are awesome! Looks like the carrot was getting served by the dice in a spas-off. I did spend some time myself playing with that silly gameboard during build. Was too cute an effect not to keep:P

@Araneidae

Ghosts may be heard, not seen. That's what makes them spooky though they should realize the next day it wasn't a ghost, when you've stolen enough;)

@Kvorning

Played all last night and finished today. I thought it was fantastic.

There were a couple of things I made a video of them:

Black Chairs:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F7539D361BD41522!186&authkey=!AChrX59PemiWvlQ

Picture not positioned against wall:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F7539D361BD41522!187&authkey=!AJHgttMtOy_zyX0

I only managed about 4900 odd loot. I found that some of the pickable pockets where almost too hard as the purse was too far into the body. Suggest attaching them to the hip a little further out off the belt Unless this was the way you wanted it and in that case, Not all were as hard as some.

Really cool map design, The climbing and overhead paths and things like that were awesome.

Congrats and thanks for an enjoyable night.

I'm very glad to hear that you had a good time, Tr00pertj. I just wish I could catch that gremlin, which keeps putting "skin: 1" on my models and moving paintings around. :P

Don't worry about the "Master Thief" objective, I haven't even gotten that one yet. The pick-pocketing seems difficult indeed, and I could probably alter it with a frob distance spawnarg. However, the default value really encourages the player to cease the right moment to use the lean forward ability to snatch the purse. I kinda like that. Keys does seem to be easier to pick though.

Awesome that you got to explore the alternative routes. If you played the 1.0.2 version, then it was hopefully easier to find the right windows. If not, you hopefully feel like returning some time, for the optional objectives ;)

Edit:

Updated it again for some minor fixes including the ones you reported.

Edited by Kvorning

Did you change anything in regards to AI audio and visual acuity? Guards are like hawks and have ears like rabbits. In this room:

http://imgur.com/a/Lj8UJ#9

The noble sleeping on the couch wakes up no matter what when I enter the room, and he sees me instantly even though lightgem shows total darkness. Did you test with 2.0?

Great mission btw, just stunning work.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I haven't done anything to the AI's ability to hear or see, with the exception of 1 one-eyed guard.

In that room the guards will be able to see you from the street if you don't turn off the lights. There is a sound_loss on the location_seperators in the windows that don't open, but don't think that works in 1.8 so I don't know if it actually works as intended in 2.0.

The guy on the couch is always a bit watchful. I tried walking down the stairs a few times, but he always hears me. I'm safe if I sneak around though. The "Ghost" objective has been known to bug before, as it fails when an AI reaches alert level 5 which seems to happen a bit erratically at times.

When I woke the guy up he triggered the ghost objective fail criteria, even though I was in complete darkness as well. It might be because he's drunk or because the room is so narrow, that the path finding for his search immediately lands on the player. I honestly have no idea though.

All in all it's a buggy criteria, and optional for that reason. It can be done, but probably not without saving :P

Edited by Kvorning

Excellent mission so far. I do need a hint about one thing:

I am at the other end of the sewer and crawled up into the first room. There is a trap door in the ceiling. It doesn't sound locked and when frobbed makes a sound as if it is opening, but it does not open. Just tell me if that is intentional. I'll find another route if so. Thanks!

This mission won't load for me. Quits back to the main menu after a bit of the map loading procedure or sometimes complains about a joint not being found on a female character.

I've rerun the TDM updater and downloaded another time but no such luck in fixing things yet.

Just in case anyone using the forum search stumbles on my post then I should add that I deleted and updated the pk4 file that contained the female character and it fixed that problem but I was left with a new problem of malloc errors. I've had to reduce the texture sizes significantly to get the level to load, which isn't ideal, but at least it loads now. I'm finding FPS very low though. Odd as my system isn't THAT slow but I am on WinXP 32.

Anyway, thanks for this mission. I'll have a proper crack at it later :)

Good to hear you got it working. You'll be happy to hear that a more optimized version is underway, thanks to Greyman and Bikerdude.

Can't say when it's gonna be done but it's only optimization, so don't worry about more content.

Just in case anyone using the forum search stumbles on my post then I should add that I deleted and updated the pk4 file that contained the female character and it fixed that problem but I was left with a new problem of malloc errors. I've had to reduce the texture sizes significantly to get the level to load, which isn't ideal, but at least it loads now. I'm finding FPS very low though. Odd as my system isn't THAT slow but I am on WinXP 32.

Anyway, thanks for this mission. I'll have a proper crack at it later :)

Have you applied the 4GB memory patch to the TDM and Doom3 executables? Memory allocation errors I think are a result of not having done this.

From here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ

Search the page for "malloc failure".

Edited by Lux

From everything I can tell, some engine change broke DDS compression in TDM 1.08 and higher. Maps now consume about as much

video RAM as with uncompressed textures after loading. I don't have the expertise to say how it broke (whether it was Carmack's changes

for GPL or something done by the TDM team) but I know there was a plan on the books to improve texture and normal map compression

behavior. That fix will require merging Serpentine's dhewg doom 3 branch. If \ whenever this happens, these larger missions should become

playable for more users. Though it would be cool to see what optimizations can be squeezed out with the mod as-is.

Tracker 3127 points to some intentional DDS loading issues done by Carmack...

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)