The Dark Mod Forums

TDM in The News

lowenz

I'm still downloading it. I promise I'll give my thoughts once I play enough of it today.

I just found out about this mod today. I know I'm late to the party and this may be really old news for most of you, but for any old-school Thief fans out there who may not have owned Doom 3 (and therefore never knew about its mods), or it just plain flew over your head, get ready to play Thief as you knew and loved it, but with better graphics.

It's called The Dark Mod, and with the release of 2.0 today, you don't need Doom 3 to play it anymore.

The game is amazing. The team put together the most authentic Thief game anyone could hope for (much more authentic then what the new Thief looks to be shaping up to be). There's not a campaign per se, but you can download user-created missions (and from what I understand there are some mini-campaigns available for download).

The initial game comes with a tutorial and a church mission. I'm playing through the tutorial and am amazed that the game is as good as it is. Again, it's still very much old-school Thief, so it may not be for everyone. But it's all about stealth, the combat is difficult (as it should be), it looks great, and the nostalgia effect is through the roof.

• Like 2

From the "Top Comment" on RPS:

If you loved Thief and you haven’t played The Dark Mod, you really should give it a try. This really feels like the present and future of Thief.

If you tried The Dark Mod a couple of years ago and just thought it was so-so… seriously, try it again! They have done an incredible job of evolving and refining this mod over the last 18 months. Unlike Eidos Montreal, they’ve listened carefully to community feedback and made a great effort to please even the most hardcore Thief fans (though some will never be pleased).

You’ll find more varied and more nuanced gameplay in The Dark Mod than you’ll find in many excellent indie games. But it’s free! And it’s already in a complete and polished state — No Kickstarting, no Greenlighting, no early access pay-for-unfinished-alpha… it’s just plain done and it’s just plain free. So go to it!

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum and would like to congratulate the team on the mind-blowingly awesome job that you guys have done with this mod/standalone! I first played TDM 2 years ago, and it was great then, but not is AMAZING! Anyways, here's another article link that I didn't see in the first post...

DSOGaming(great site IMO!):

http://www.dsogaming...n-2-0-released/

Edited by Warrior88
  • Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Phoronix article is up:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ4MjY

can someone post in the discussion comments about the fact that there is a linux tdm_updater at moddb...

also:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/10/4823034/the-dark-mod-standalone-unleashes-with-version-2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Looking Glass Studios' The Dark Mod, a total conversion mod developed to "recreate the tone and gameplay of the original Thief series," is now a standalone stealth game with the release of v 2.0.

The Dark Mod was initially developed because its creators wanted to see what a Thief game would like in a "more modern engine." Until now, previous versions of the mod required Doom 3 to run. Development of The Dark Mod began in 2004, with the first beta releasing in 2008 followed by v 1.0 rollout in 2009.

Interested parties can download the game directly from The Dark Mod website. Unfortunately, its servers are taking a beating so Looking Glass Studios have made a torrent available. There are currently more than 60 fan missions available with an unofficial campaign in development. The standalone includes new gameplay features, dozens of AI and custom art assets.

Compliment time, folks! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It's amazing to see that TDM gets such responses.

I believe that the golden age of The Dark Mod lies just before us. More players, more mappers, modellers, coders etc...

The mighty Builder is with us. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter