The Dark Mod Forums

[Updated] FM: The Siege Shop (v4.4) by PranQster and lowenz (2020/3/16)

PranQster

• 2 weeks later...

Most upgraded FM ever :D

Indeed !

I've been playing this in two gos so far, during the last few days, and it's a splendid mission, even if its complexity makes it an easy target for being rife with the occassional bugs. I admire PranQster's resolve to keep bettering it. B)

My only current gripe with the mission is that I am just a few hundred loot (about 400) short of completing the 4000 loot objective on Medium difficulty. I think I've looked absolutely everywhere and there isn't much more to find at this point. Is there some hidden cache somewhere in the basement area of the mission ? Maybe I've overlooked that.

A humorous experience I had later in the mission: I shot a noisemaker onto that open wooden floor where the drawbridge controls are located. After luring the guard away, I quickly hid, then doused the torch above the control lever. Sure enough, he went from search mode to tinderbox mode and started relighting the torch. At first I didn't want to try blackjacking him, but the temptation was too great. :blush: To my surprise, it worked, and he dropped like a stone before he could relight the torch again ! :awesome: Talk about effective use of your tools... Noisemaker, water arrow and blackjack in accord. I'm leaving the pulling of the lever for my escape sequence, though. I've been stealthy as can be, but I mostly didn't ghost, so a bit of a dramatic getaway is fine with me this time around.

Another funny experience was me jumping down from the ramparts into the moat, climbing back up and looking around in the baloon basket just out of curiosity, whether there's any loot. It was then that I finally realised, with great embarassment, that the baloon is actually controllable and not just a part of the scenery ! :blush: Excellent work with the coding, PranQster. From what I've read in the old thread, the baloon has been in the mission since its earliest incarnation. No mean feat ! :smile:

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

Erm, nevermind, I've just figured out where to get the rest of the loot for the 4000 loot objective. :blush: One of the tips mentioned earlier actually helped with that. Now to finish and take a look at my statistics... B)

A humorous experience I had later in the mission: I shot a noisemaker onto that open wooden floor where the drawbridge controls are located. After luring the guard away, I quickly hid, then doused the torch above the control lever. Sure enough, he went from search mode to tinderbox mode and started relighting the torch. At first I didn't want to try blackjacking him, but the temptation was too great. :blush: To my surprise, it worked, and he dropped like a stone before he could relight the torch again ! :awesome: Talk about effective use of your tools... Noisemaker, water arrow and blackjack in accord. I'm leaving the pulling of the lever for my escape sequence, though. I've been stealthy as can be, but I mostly didn't ghost, so a bit of a dramatic getaway is fine with me this time around.

Another funny experience was me jumping down from the ramparts into the moat, climbing back up and looking around in the baloon basket just out of curiosity, whether there's any loot. It was then that I finally realised, with great embarassment, that the baloon is actually controllable and not just a part of the scenery ! :blush: Excellent work with the coding, PranQster. From what I've read in the old thread, the baloon has been in the mission since its earliest incarnation. No mean feat ! :smile:

Thanks for sharing! :D

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Oh, my pleasure. :)

It's been a good and not too frustrating mission, there was plenty of suspense involved with guarding patrols.

Unfortunately, on one of my loads, I've still seen some minor errors in guard pathfinding when it comes to

their usage of the elevator

, but later on, it didn't really reappear. I suppose the occassional glitch is still par for the course even in the final version of this mission, but truth be told, I didn't find it game-breaking, so it wasn't an unsolvable annoyance.

Yes, thank you for your comments :)

There will always be glitches which will never get properly sorted. My favorite is when two guards try to use the same stall at the archery range at the same time, and one ends up shooting another. Then they fight to the death and any guards nearby go on alert when they see the body. Sometimes a player will reach the roof and find the guards already on alert when the player was not actually yet detected.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Yes, thank you for your comments :)

There will always be glitches which will never get properly sorted. My favorite is when two guards try to use the same stall at the archery range at the same time, and one ends up shooting another. Then they fight to the death and any guards nearby go on alert when they see the body. Sometimes a player will reach the roof and find the guards already on alert when the player was not actually yet detected.

:D

Haven't witnesssed that, and I hope I'll avoid running into it in future playthroughs.

• 1 month later...

Of all the FM's out there I think this is the one I had more fun playing with. The unique elements in the mission combined with great atmosphere, tons of things to do, kept me going from beginning to end. This is a hidden gem to me cause I didn't even knew it existed. Most importantly is among the few missions I feel I want to reply more than twice. For me this is among the top 5 best missions of DM! :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another update???

Hah, nice

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

No. This one is sealed. A done deal. Never again! LOL

I did however update DR and fire it up. It's about time for me to continue on with my pagan village mission, which I started in 2011 as a city/sewer/forest map. I have since removed the city/sewer areas and am working on building up the outdoor areas to make up for the lost content.

• Like 3

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 1 year later...

Enjoying the mission here, hard to get 5k loot, however.

What do I do about this? I don't have a sword, where do I get a sword to cut through and get what's in there?

siegeshop_2017-05-02_19_21_16.jpg

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

I'm in the

captain's office, where the desk containing some of the blueprints is.

I tried arrows, but they're simply stuck in the tapestry. I remember how I used to cut these in thief2 but there seems to be no sword in this mission.

Also is it just me or my screenshot in the previous post doesn't show up anymore?

UPD: Thank you and nevermind

I've found the switcher under the table. The thing can't be destroyed, but can be moved by the switcher.

Edited by Lex

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/10/2013 at 10:00 AM, PranQster said:

post-3285-0-08178700-1424729333_thumb.jpg

The Siege Shop
by PranQster & lowenz
Version: 4
Build: Feb 23 2015 TDM 2.03

Required TDM version: 2.03

(I have not tested this in previous TDM versions, but version 2.02 breaks the drawbridge chains)

Re-decorated version* This version linked here is the final release. If you have downloaded the Release Candidate, you do not need to download this. They are identical.

Link to version 4: Siege Shop

Occasionally, it is possible for AI to murder each other, putting them on alert. They've all been drinking (not 'drunk' acuity AI, just bottles in hand) and sometimes they get into a scuffle at the archery range. It is very somewhat rare, but some players will undoubtedly see this. Since it is random, some may see it happen more than others.

Info: This mission is my first mission, fourth release.
Unique credits: Arcturus' animated fish.
Special thanks to: Bikerdude, Fidcal, Springheel, & Grayman for awesome technical support and advice.
Extra thanks to Springheel, BikerDude, and Nosslak for additional models used (some past and some present). Thanks also to Shadowhide for the help with getting my script file working (v.1).
Major Thanks to the original beta testers: Chiron, Xarg, Aprilsister, AluminumHaste (also v3), SiyahParsomen, and Midnight.
Thanks, thanks, thanks, eggs, bacon and thanks to lowenz for his uber-help on v.3+. His advice really helped to make a better mission.

* Yet another release February 23 2015.
Broken drawbridge chains in version 2.02 (fixed in 2.03) made me look at other possible updates. I couldn't resist re-texturing most of the map. Also newer methods of doing things such as rain made it possible to re-introduce some of the details I had previously removed.

• The rain is back
  • Just a pinch of fog for flavor
  • Outdoor area more bumpy
  • Much of the map has been re-textured
  • Easily-broken optional objective removed
  • More decoration
  • Some minor physical map changes to fix an area I was very unhappy with
  • Some broken textures and models removed

The most updated map of TDM needs OpenAL support (reverb sound). Any plans for that?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson