The Dark Mod Forums

No Honor Among Thieves 2.0

Goldchocobo

Campaign Rating  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I remember very little from my first play through so it's hard for me to tell exactly what's changed. I've played the first two now, it's really amazing! Looks great, story is very immersive and the gameplay is satisfying.

I've got some small nitpicks:

There's a wooden beam near a window at the start of the first mission that refuses my rope arrows. I understand it's hard to get all materials that use wood in some of its parts to behave correctly but at least in some special cases it's worth the effort, for example right near an opened window.

There are two parts, one in the first mission and one in the second mission, that are extremely hard! hard as in It can be done but it takes trial and error and, well, with trial and error I can dance waltz in a shootout without getting hit, so that's not saying much. The first is the main hall of the first mission, the one that leads to the bell tower; it's too crowded and too well lit. The other is the cave/sewer in the second mission; those wooden boards are noisier than marble floors and the whole place is crawling with guards. But at least in this case this is an optional objective.

I intended on making a playthrough of the whole campaign but it's being more trouble than it's worth (technical problems). So here's the first mission, at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxt0JdOzN3c&feature=youtu.be&t=1s

edit: stupid youtube keeps sending starting the video at the end, so I'm telling it to start at *specifically* the first second. This is getting ridiculous.

Edited by Diego

Rocking campaign. Great story, great art. I have a feeling like I'm missing out on something, though: does the campaign end on mission 3? It feels like there are some unresolved plot threads, but when I click "Continue" at the mission 3 summary, I get sent back to the main TDM menu.

Also, I did have a *lot* of issues with save files in mission 3. When I got into the mansion, the majority of the save files that I created would consistently crash the game when it tried to load them, while a few (thankfully) worked every time. I couldn't find any pattern to identify why some worked and others didn't, but I'd be happy to provide as much information as I can to make this a useful bug report. Let me know what diagnostics I can grab or where to find copies of the save files and I'll happily send them along.

Thanks for putting this together. It was loads of fun to play. Here's hoping there's still more waiting for me...

@ haileris

It is only a three mission campaign so far, don´t know if anything else is planned. About the save files and crashes, interesting you mentioning this, the only time I experienced such a case before was in "the heart of lone salvation" on patch 1.03 long ago. I thought it was something mission specific cause the game would always crash after a short time after I loaded a save game no matter what I did or which direction I was heading. But I guess it has a different cause then if you also had such issues. I enjoyed this campaign on my first playthrough back when it was released the first time and I am eagerly awaiting 2.01 :P.

Edited by Cookie

How the crap did you get a "No Honor Among Thieves" Overlay on the main menu while this campaign is the currently installed FM? Because that is frickin AWESOME! I like this much better than the default of going to "new mission" menu to see what is installed. Also gives a chance for FM authors to add their own creative vibe to the main menu while their FM is installed. supercool.

also, as always, love this campaign. thanks for the updates!

Just started playing it again and the caves at the start are a big improvement.

I don't remember if it was like it in the original mission but I was pleased to see that killing the spiders didn't fail the do not kill objective

One problem

When exiting the caves the open cell on the left of the corridor has a dodgy wall. It flickers in and out depending on how I look at it.

This picture shows it blanked out

post-8491-0-68060300-1383401228_thumb.jpg

Finished the first part on the hardest difficulty and the changes have really improved the mission.

Some of the changes made it more difficult than before but that was no problem. Well it was but it just made me think a bit harder which is no bad thing

A question in relation to the noise arrow - I don't normally use them in fact I don't think I ever have - but on this mission I needed to and was surprised to find that after using it I could pick it up again. Is this normal

should be able to retrieve them as long as you don't fire them into stone or metal. ....or that white plaster stuff everything seems to be made of. i hate that stuff. i guess rope arrows would be too beefy if you could do that, but i think noise and broadheads should stick or not break.

Finally finished the whole thing last night, and, yeah - wow! Many thanks for all the improvements, some really atmospheric sections. Gotta be about two years since I last played and boy, the memories keep flooding back. It would be nice to get the cosmetic details sorted at some point (as pointed out earlier by skacky, AH etc), but I can imagine that'd take quite a bit of time, and I just wanted to say I really appreciated being able to play it NOW. Thanks again for all you guys work.

How the crap did you get a "No Honor Among Thieves" Overlay on the main menu while this campaign is the currently installed FM?

yeah, that was really cool. B)

Originally put this on the original NHAT post (#459) but maybe should be here: I'm on the first mission and I'm at the

cathedral. I've gone in three times and three times the mission's frozen on me but at different spots. Once was heading to the back stairs on the right (as you enter), 2nd time I made it past that spot and was in the middle of the walkway above and looked towards the hall area and the third time I made it past the first two spots, down the front stairs and was just heading into the hall and if froze again. Each time I was eventually returned (or able to return) to the main menu.

After reading the posts have noticed that others have had similar problem to this but don't know what can be done. Did I miss an update? Don't really want to skip it as there's

loot in there. :D

Originally put this on the original NHAT post (#459) but maybe should be here: I'm on the first mission and I'm at the

cathedral. I've gone in three times and three times the mission's frozen on me but at different spots. Once was heading to the back stairs on the right (as you enter), 2nd time I made it past that spot and was in the middle of the walkway above and looked towards the hall area and the third time I made it past the first two spots, down the front stairs and was just heading into the hall and if froze again. Each time I was eventually returned (or able to return) to the main menu.

After reading the posts have noticed that others have had similar problem to this but don't know what can be done. Did I miss an update? Don't really want to skip it as there's

loot in there. :D

That has been an extremely random problem. So random that we missed it in testing.

Unfortunately, the time we have to fix that has disappeared. However, the time being spent elsewhere will greatly benefit the community. Just you wait and see ;)

Don't like it. Too hard and the frame rate drops to horrendous levels...and I've got two GTX 780's FFS!

Turn off sli if you have it on. Doom 3 and TDM don't work well with crossfire or sli.

Also what CPU do you have? That would have a bigger impact.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

That's a good processor, as someone else mentioned, Doom 3 engine is pretty much single core only, so single core speed will have a good impact. Setting affinity should be fine.

I have 2 AMD 7950s in crossfire and I get 20 fps in return to the city. With 1 card only I get 40-60 fps. So there's definitely issues with SLi/Crossfire.

If you want to see just how little work your video cards are doing, run MSI Afterburner or GPU-z so you can see GPU utilization. The only time I see any usage over like 20% is if I force 24xAA Supersampling in the ATI CCC. Then I get about 60-80% usage.

Just started to play this masterpiece again - but seems like the alerted ai finds its way back to bed / seat error still isn't solved :( Alerted the guards who were sleeping - they stood up, searched and laid down where they stood later..

(error caused by ai programming - not mission author afaik)

post-3542-0-80446500-1384299346_thumb.jpg

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

That has been an extremely random problem. So random that we missed it in testing.

Unfortunately, the time we have to fix that has disappeared. However, the time being spent elsewhere will greatly benefit the community. Just you wait and see ;)

Well since it's a non-fixable problem than no-clipping the area would technically not be cheating? Hmmmm... :P Edit: Used noclip in the area and still had freezing but got what I went for. ^_^ Edited by Thiefette

• 4 weeks later...

It constantly freezes on my computer as soon as I enter the cathedral where the character says: "Now look at this. This reminds me of how coined religion is." Then the screen freezes and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del Thedarkmod.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, freezes in the cathedral and I have to ctrl-alt-del. :(

Amazing work overall, great visuals and map layout, though there are some things I found kinda sketchy.

Intro Section:

I had some big troubles getting past the 2nd guard outside of the water plant place in the beginning, it wasn't very clear that a noisemaker arrow would do the trick since I didn't know I had them. I'm not sure exactly how this section can be improved, maybe make him move around a bit so you can steal the key and sneak in when he's not right next to the door, would make a lot more sense I think.

Also, didn't know I had underwater breath potions either so lost a lot of health while swimming to the cave, maybe a voice-over to make you aware of that?

Dungeon:

The undead/zombie on the other side of the collapsed floor is really hard to kill in a way that makes sense without loosing a lot of health, I don't really see the point in having him there at all.

Elevator Shaft:

Unneccesarily hard to get up there, no logic in how you where supposed to do it. I think a pure platform challenge would make more sense, or some more obvious places/platforms for rope arrows.

Cathedral Area, 1st part:

The guards in the first area (corridor/dining hall) all walked the same way it seemed, I just waited and knocked them out one by one and dragged them into the kitchen. Maybe some more variety here?

Guards Sleeping Quarters:

The placement of loot in these chests seemed a bit random, and most of the chests where empty. Perhaps fill them with other stuff, not just loot?

Edited this a lot, might add some more comments later.

Edited by Paralytik

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik