The Dark Mod Forums

where are the missions localization/how now works the localization system

ECHELON

To clarify, I'm not arguing that you should host unsanctioned translations. I'm simply pointing out that there is nothing that can be done to stop others from creating and distributing them. You can't even inconvenience people given how easy it would be to produce a modified game executable that downloads content from a different set of mirrors.

I'd rather convert my own maps to the i18n system so that I know what '#str_nnnnn' are pointing at than someone else doing it, as any updates I do will be on my original files and never on any localized version unless I've done the fm/english.lang file myself. then you can translate the fm/english.lang file.

You can't even inconvenience people given how easy it would be to produce a modified game executable that downloads content from a different set of mirrors.

Well, yes, but then that person would have to find a way to spread the new executable around, host the unsanctioned missions, deal with conflicts between those mirrors and the offical ones, and manage it all when updates are released. Sounds inconvenient to me. Although frankly, it wouldn't bother me if some group made their own TDM fork for foreign speakers.

Hosting and spreading the word is trivial when the intent is to service a small group of people who are missing out on some missions. And with the goal simply being to make missions playable in another language, conflicts and updates aren't much different.

Mission updates are a luxury since playable missions, no matter the age, are better than those unavailable in your native language. Game updates are too rare to be of much concern. Even less so when backwards compatibility with existing maps is a priority. I don't see where conflicts would arise but then I'm a native speaker and the issue isn't mine to solve. I'm content allowing foreign speakers to hammer out the details.

... people from both countries aren't necessarily the best English speakers in the world, as opposed to, say, Scandinavians or the Benelux countries.

Personally it worries me to think someone from those countries would translate missions while they could be doing something more useful for the mod in the same timespan. I can't fathom why anyone from here would prefer the Dutch version over the English one if both were available.

Yore missin' da point, matey. I doubt that there is much demand for a Dutch or a Swedish version of an FM, but I expect a lot of demand for a Polish or German version. In fact, one of the criticisms in the TDM review on gamestar.de was that apart from the GUI, TDM is not in any way translated. Of course this is a misunderstanding, as there are several FMs translated into German, but they don't show up in the mission downloader, so for the average player, they are non-existent.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm not talking about the German or Polish translations but the redundancy of Dutch and Scandinavian translations if it wasn't clear. If anyone wants to make those then I would let them know its not the most useful of contributions.

But this doesn't have much to do with the rest of the discussion, I just wanted to put it out there anyways.

• 4 months later...
Ok, so i've done a test with one mission: house in blackbog hollow.

I've take the 2.0, converted and then linked the strings to the translation. Now the translation works. Here's the two files:

@ECHOLON:

Wie geht das? Kann ich das auch selbst machen?

How did you do that? Can I do that on my own?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone's available to do a small amount of translation, we have a need for it in 2.02.

These English words now appear in the main menus, and are in need of translation:

AI Vision

AI Hearing

Nearly Blind

Nearly Deaf

Forgiving

Challenging

Hardcore

For languages that don't need a language-specific keyboard, I could type them into all.lang if I knew what to type.

For other languages, I'd be dependent on a translator making the change.

When I added these to the menus, I did it with translation in mind, so the menus continue to work in all the languages, but the words in the list above are in English.

Thanks for any help!