The Dark Mod Forums

Cities

Shadowgate

Hey guys, I just heard (realized) that you are making an editing tool set that can create "Thief" scenarios with the Doom3 engine, and what not. I just have a question: Will we be able to make maps of the city, not just interiors: i.e. to make a city with winding roads, lamp posts, alleys, etc.?

Thanks,

Shadows

You can make space stations and modern day street scenes for all we can do to stop you. :lol:

Seriously, though, yeah, if you build it with half a brain you can get fine performance on large open-air spaces and long views with high polycounts. It's really down to how you light it, how many AI you pack in it, and how many pixels of texture you're storing in the RAM as to how it runs.

But consider it like this: in the campaign we'll be making ourselves, at least one of the missions is set in a city, complete with rooftop sneaking.

Even if certain things are not possible with current hardware NOW, in a year or more, they'll be much more feasible.

I urge anyone to check out the videos and builds of the D3 can do it too project at www.doom3world.org (they have their own forum there). It's an interesting project, and is turning up some good stuff!

As an addition to Fingers answer. Currently we can even run through the original Doom 3 maps with a working lightgem and shooting arrows. :) Not sure if it will be possible with the final mod, but it is funny to walk through Alpha Labs using the lightgem. All the marines are looking strange at me because I'm trying to sneak past them. ;)

Gerhard

Lol, yeah, we're 'just' adding a whole games worth of models and textures and animations, and rewriting the AI code and weapons code and a new HUD.

Basically we're keeping the renderer and physics from Doom and that's about it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You can make space stations and modern day street scenes for all we can do to stop you. :lol:

Heh. Time traveling thief. Could be fun. Water arrows versus laser pistols. Hm, one could create a good parody game with this element: fantasy cliche's and scifi mixed together to get one psychedelic environmet. Terry Pratchett feat. Douglas Adams.

Last time I looked at Thief there were no bullets to shoot with. Similarily in TDM there are also no bullets to shoot with. Does that answer your question? :)

Not really, since there are arrows. Although shooting a rope arrow into the moon would be hilarious...

OH ok so i guess i am a dumb guy now... i guess i thought there were bullets in THIEF (medieval steampunkyworld or what ever)

uh uh no i didn't

I was just talking about doomedit and sky boxes how when i made a sky box(following a tutorial) ,trying to get some practice in basic stuff like sky and stuff i entered the level and shot the sky there i saw a little bullet hole floating in the air

i was just wondering if this is the norm in doom3 or if i needed more knowledge?

thank you for your intuitive and informative responses!!!

good luck with the project

c yah

PUT ZEH CANDLE BECK

The tutorial probably didn't cover making the sky a "no bullethole" surface.

There's probably a way to set that property on a D3 material, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head (maybe you could make it no_collide, because the player's never going to be trying to jump out of the sky either. that might let bullets pass right thru into space, but you might have to put an invisible collision box beyond that or something for leakage reasons (so the bullets would pass thru the skybox you can see, and then hit the box beyond that you can't see) ). I don't know, maybe there's a better way to do that. I don't know if it'll leak with a no_collide brush or not.