The Dark Mod Forums

Kickstarter: Deathfire - Ruins of Nethermore

Baal

There's a new oldschool RPG project on Kickstarter. It's made by a german RPG veteran, Guido Henkel, known for Realms of Arkania and propably not as famous outside of germany.

If you've never heard of these old games, Legends of Grimrock is a good reference point.

Here are the key features according to the kicksterter page:

• Single player, first person Party-based play (four player-, plus two non-player characters)
  • Six races and eight classes to choose from
  • Over 34 unique character traits, plus base attributes
  • Party characters interact with each other
  • Turn-based combat
  • Indoor and outdoor environments
  • Complex puzzles and evolving quests
  • Combine items to build weapons and traps
  • Interactive game world
  • Recipe-based crafting and enchanting
  • Involving, adaptive storyline with many key players and twists
  • Factions for intriguing political set-ups
  • Tons of monsters to battle
  • Dialogues—yes, you will be in awe at our cool and intelligent dialogue system
  • Cheese toast

I backed it. Is anyone here interested in this kind of game?

The issue I heard mentioned with this campaign is that Guido Henkel recycled lots of material from his previously failed KS campaign. I don't remember what the name of the game then was, but apparently it was not very successful and got cancelled before it could humiliatingly tank.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

What actually is an "oldschool rpg"? Many systems used in more or less modern rpg's are pretty old, like D&D or DSA.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Well, whatever that game is supposed to be, I don't see a too bright future for its campaign: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/g3studios/deathfire-ruins-of-nethermore/

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going slowly but steadily.

What interests me about this is, that it's aiming to be more complex than many modern (action) rpgs. It's a more accessible spiritual successor to the (very hardcore) Realms of Arkania series.

You are controling a party but due to the inclusion of disadvantages (negative character traits like necrophobia or violent temper etc.) many unexpected things can happen with or between your party members. I hope that they can build fun and surprising quests around that idea.

• 2 weeks later...

7 days left. The game is doing well on steam greenlight but funding is slow. There's still a good chance of success though.

is an updated pitch video. At 0:40 Guido starts talking about the game and what kind of RPG it is supposed to be. If you're interessted but don't know what to expect, give the video a try.