The Dark Mod Forums

Clipper tool error

Bridge

For some reason when I use the clipper tool to split brushes the sides that are supposed to face the split are non-existent. This just started happening, it worked fine yesterday. I'm thinking I unwittingly changed something seeing as it's not the brushes on the map I'm working on that are at fault. Help would be greatly appreciated.

post-29430-0-01552600-1385054410_thumb.png

Edited by Bridge

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using clipper and CSG substract lately and sometimes I have weird (internal) leaks, with the pointfile going right through some walls. The walls have solid textures except on the edges which were calked or nodrawed. But edges should not be an issue right? And maybe my walls were a bit overlapping each other as I had been messing around with them a lot, and that was the issue. Ultimately I destroyed everything and cut my openings properly, and now it works. I am not sure about clipper, but I read in Fidcal's A-Z guide that CSG substract is hated by some mappers, guess that is the reason! However, any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

I have been using clipper and CSG substract lately and sometimes I have weird (internal) leaks, with the pointfile going right through some walls. The walls have solid textures except on the edges which were calked or nodrawed. But edges should not be an issue right? And maybe my walls were a bit overlapping each other as I had been messing around with them a lot, and that was the issue. Ultimately I destroyed everything and cut my openings properly, and now it works. I am not sure about clipper, but I read in Fidcal's A-Z guide that CSG substract is hated by some mappers, guess that is the reason! However, any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

The clipper is a good reliable tool to use.

CSG subtract should be avoided; it tends to leave slivers around, which DR can quickly knock out of alignment, causing leaks.

Nodraw textures don't seal against the void. If they appear on one or more faces of a brush--even if those faces can't be seen from inside the map--that brush won't seal against the void.

• Like 1

CSG subtract works well for rectangular/square-shaped objects when all is on the grid.

If you are going to use it to split angular objects, then I suggest to convert to func_static after doing the subtraction, then convert that to .ase and use it as a model.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

CSG subtract works well for rectangular/square-shaped objects when all is on the grid.

Yes, I think it screwed up because I used it to cut a door opening that needed grid 1 adjustments. And then went back to grid 16 and used CSG substract, hence the splinters grayman talked about I guess.

If you are going to use it to split angular objects, then I suggest to convert to func_static after doing the subtraction, then convert that to .ase and use it as a model.

What do you mean by splitting angular objects?

(BTW: didn't know you can convert func_static to .ase, this can be useful if you use the same prefab many times to save drawcalls, right?)

Jared, is that you ?

Must be rats...

(BTW: didn't know you can convert func_static to .ase, this can be useful if you use the same prefab many times to save drawcalls, right?)

Yes. I had a gable window setup that had a lot of angles and--over time--DR was shifting it around. I reset it to its original design, saved it out as a model, and used it a couple of times. Now it never changes, saving me a lot of grief.

• Like 1

What do you mean by splitting angular objects?

I meant to say that if you use a rectangular brush to do subtract on another rectangular brush (say, subtract a door-sized brush from a wall-sized brush to make a doorway), you should end up with a few smaller rectangular brushes as the wall...3 or 4 total...all clean brushes still on the grid. It's when you do this using brushes with angled faces, that's when things can get crazy. Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8