The Dark Mod Forums

Need someone to take over server

Springheel

Greebo has been hosting our SVN and web server for years, but he is looking to pass that job on to someone else. We can deal with the monetary part, but we don't have many (if any) team-members with hosting experience.

Anybody willing to take over the stuff by the end of 2013? That's about the timeline I had in mind, it's not a problem for me to keep it for that year, maybe even longer, but I can't make any promises about 2014.

Currently, the machine is a simple root server located at hetzner.de, Debian Squeeze 64 Bit, single core AMD, 2 GB RAM. It is used for:

TDM stuff

- svn.thedarkmod.com (multiple repos)

- www.thedarkmod.com

- bugs.thedarkmod.com

- Automatic SVN Backup to fidcal.com, SVN mail notifications

- TDM Package Assembly and automated upload to remote FTP locations

"Private" stuff

- mindplaces.com

- www.angua.at

- Mail server for mindplaces.com

The private stuff can be sorted out with minor effort, I guess, since there are many mail and web hosting solutions available for about EUR 5,- per month anywhere or even cheaper if no MySQL database is needed.

The rest is TDM stuff. The forums and the wiki are still hosted by modetwo, in case anybody's wondering.

In case the team decides to give up the dedicated root server, it's also possible to move back to the solution we had until 2011, when Sparhawk had the server running in his basement, on his private DSL and using a free DynDNS solution.

edit: the root server currently charges EUR 29,- per month (although this rate isn't available anymore, nowadays the root servers at hetzner start at EUR 49,-/month, unless one takes one of the "used" ones up for auction there.)

We're using 80 GB at the moment, including backups of SVN, email, websites and MySQL. The SVN repos alone are about 26 GB.

I'm curious in regards to the monetary part, who pays to keep up these forums and the main site?

Is it donation or is it just one person?

I'm curious in regards to the monetary part, who pays to keep up these forums and the main site?

Is it donation or is it just one person?

The forums are handled by modetwo. The SVN server and webpages are covered by donations.

Currently, the machine is a simple root server located at hetzner.de, Debian Squeeze 64 Bit, single core AMD, 2 GB RAM.@€50pm

• svn.thedarkmod.com (multiple repos)
  • www.thedarkmod.com
  • bugs.thedarkmod.com
  • automatic SVN Backup to fidcal.com, SVN mail notifications
  • TDM Package Assembly and automated upload to remote FTP locations

In case the team decides to give up the dedicated root server, it's also possible to move back to the solution we had until 2011, when Sparhawk had the server running in his basement, on his private DSL and using a free DynDNS solution.

1. Could we not just find another cheaper hosting solution..? eg - https://www.1and1.co...r-Tariff#ve - £119 per annum. Id be happy to donate towards that as Im sure others would too (they did the same thing on TTLG with a whip roundf a while back)
  2. Another option which would be similar to Sparhawk's setup is I would go and buy a "HP ProLiant MicroServer" or a build a Low power linux server to put Debian squeeze on etc. But my linux knowledge is quite basic, I would be able to get it installed, connected to the net via dyndns but would require help configuring it etc. I currently have a 80/20 MB/s fibre connection which I believe to be fast enough for 'most' tasks.
  3. Or I could donate the 2x1TB HDD's to sparhawk so he could use them for his server box.

I'm sure you're aware of this, Biker, and I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Some providers (many) don't allow you to run servers on your home connection and it needs to be billed as a business class line for them to allow server/hosting services, etc. They charge you more and you get less (generally).

If they see a lot of traffic, particularly inbound, on your line they may cut your service depending on the TOS. I'd check up on it if you haven't. (I imagine you have though).

In any case, most peoples home internet these days, especially if you have fiber, has enough bandwidth for small scale servers to host services but its not allowed and the amount of time you can get away with it is a variable.

On another note, I'm willing to donate to server hosting fees/whatever to help out as well.

Edited by Lux

I'm sure you're aware of this, Biker, and I thought I'd mention it anyway. Some providers (many) don't allow you to run servers on your home connection and it needs to be billed as a business class line for them to allow server/hosting services, etc.

Im fairly sure they said I could have a certain amount of bandwidth for hosting and I cant imagine the SVN traffic would be that bad, but I will ask to be sure.

Anyway it looks like one of our other team members might be stepping up for server role, so if I do help out it will be in a backup/mirror capacity.

I have a VPS that I share with a friend and they're pretty good regarding uptime and performance, it's a basic root / ubuntu server but I've got experience with managing this type of system.

The hosting is provided by www.memset.com if anyone is interested, here are some of their options:

1 x 0.20 GHz Xeon core, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB RAID(1) disk (£9.95/mo)

1 x 0.40 GHz Xeon core, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB RAID(1) disk (£14.95/mo)

2 x 0.40 GHz Xeon cores, 2 GB RAM, 90 GB RAID(1) disk (£19.95/mo)

For the requirements Springheel mentioned we would need more than the basic server offering, which means at least £20 per month, I could pay up to half of this if anyone else is interested in chipping in.

Alternatively, if the storage can be reduced (maybe by keeping the backups on Amazon S3 for example), then I would be happy to pay the full cost for the first option above. Bandwidth is also a consideration, is there any indication how much bandwidth usage to expect?

Looks like we may have someone, though donations may be welcome...stay tuned.