The Dark Mod Forums

ModDB - Mod of the Year Awards 2013

STiFU

Why the hell are the Moddb awards sponsored by Origin? I can't remember a game published by EA that was modable for the past 5 years <_<

I just wrote the moddb team about this. No answer yet. But if you want to do so too, you can write them here:

http://www.moddb.com/contact

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Talk about getting in bed with the devil, holy fuck I'm annoyed.

well a small ray of hope, EA are being aggressively pursued by a well known law firm for artificially inflating their stock value (#Battfield4), I can only sincerely hope this results in a brake up of the company into smaller studios and/or its monopoly in the market.

After pumping and dumping C&C3:KW and the uh... lukewarm at best reception C&C4 got... I doubt they really consider it a core franchise so what would letting people mod it hurt? That said, the browser game they've crapped out and the rumours I see in my inbox about a Tiberium Dawn reboot... don't expect those to be moddable. Was Red Alert 3 moddable? Yes it is, and C&C4 is too (maps, not full on mods unless noone bothered making any) apparently. Hm, wonder about the TD reboot?

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

In its defense Brutal Doom is pretty awesome... the one that had me wondering was the MP mod for Just Cause 2.

• Like 1

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

It's pretty wild that 20 years after DOOM the mods are still getting critical acclaim.

Personally, no DOOM mods have really appealed to me save ZDoom / Doomsday, where nothing is changed save modern 3d graphics support + the ability to use modern controlling schemes. There's something about altering the original presentation that just ruins it for me. Also love how Doomsday supported any game made on the DOOM engine. HEXEN / HERETIC and even STRIFE are a blast to play with the mod.

Shame TDM didn't make the cut, but whatever, to each their own...really love how with TDM the community can modify the mod and continue to expand the universe of it, without losing the essence of what the original designers intended.

If I knew more about modeling, animating and the like, I'd be helping to bring mages, pagans and elementals to life within the TDM world.

I think TDM has all corners covered in respect to non-magic entities. The one thing I think TDM lacks is the magical elements that were present in TDP.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just wrote the moddb team about this. No answer yet. But if you want to do so too, you can write them here:

http://www.moddb.com/contact

Here's the answer:

Firstly, while I cannot speak for EA I believe they are trying to become

more mod friendly.

Secondly, it takes a lot of servers and effort to run ModDB, so we welcome

any sponsor and supporter of the community because without them we wouldn't

exist. I understand Origin is a controversial one, but they are a good

supporter and I hope you can appreciate that. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Scott Reismanis

Founder, End Boss

DBolical Pty Ltd

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yes. I think there may be many supporters for moddb, but EA (Origin) is surely the biggest available. So I wonder if they really had a discussion if they should take the dirty money or if they just took it. Well maybe 'dirty money' can be misunderstood.. I mean they support something officially which they never let happen practically for the past 5 maybe 7 years or so...

For me personally it is like Greenpeace would accept money from a big canadian fishing corporation to make an advertisement against the slaughter of seals.. <_<

• Like 1

Well, animals aren't being killed in the process, it's not quite *that* bad, and TBH most of the games EA/Origin have been releasing recently I wouldn't be that interested in seeing mods for anyway, Mirror's Edge being the major exception where the gameplay just screams for fan levels.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.