The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

Heh. Until I can eat those players (and cannibalism has been discussed), I consider "traditional" hunting to not be in the game.. which makes the cooking pots, frying pans, gas stoves, matches, and to some extent the wood piles useless.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

oh man, so excited about hunting. my gameplay in dayz mod has always revolved around running through the woods, setting up storage caches of items in pine trees and writing down their gps locations, and occasionally popping up at a treeline outside a town to see whats going on near 'civilization'. hunting will bring a lot of my desired gameplay style back to the game. I never have problems with food/drink even in the mod as it stands now, but it'll be much closer to how I want to play.

Hall leaving is not going to be a good thing if you ask me. With no one to give proper direction... "lets ask the community what they want!".... fail. I was really struck to read this; and after Bohemia has collected more than 30 million from this "alpha" it really, in my mind at least, holds no promise.

Hall leaving is not going to be a good thing if you ask me. With no one to give proper direction... "lets ask the community what they want!".... fail. I was really struck to read this; and after Bohemia has collected more than 30 million from this "alpha" it really, in my mind at least, holds no promise.

I wouldn't worry.

I will apply an analogue:

You need an architect when you are designing a building. When the building is underway, you probably need to consult the architect, at maximum. When you are doing the final touches, you don't really need the architect anymore. The plans are already there.

The funds obtained from 1.5 megaplayers should be enough to hire a good team of professionals to finalize the work in a swiftly manner.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

That's kinda tying into why I was hoping that he would stick to the more traditional meanings of Alpha, Beta etc.. if he's leaving in a year, the game is supposed to enter beta either early next year or late this year, then all that would be ideally left would be bug fixing and optimisation - the game part of the game will be complete. If that is the case, then it ideally shouldn't be a problem for the game, as the creative part of the process will effectively be over from Bohemia's side of things, and there will be a robust enough platform for the modders to come in and add maps/stuff like they did with the mod. Unlike the mod, the core game the modders are building upon will actually be finished this time.

Pretty much what Sotha said. As long as Rocket isn't leaving before all the creative work is done from Bohemia's side of things, there *shouldn't* be an issue. Here's hoping he achieves all he set out to achieve, and maybe some more, before the game stops adding features and just improves from a technical standpoint.

After reading the forums it seems a lot of people don't see it that way, unfortunately the points being made seem to tend towards the stupid or outright bizarre, which isn't doing their "side" any favours. So far I've seen people imply or outright state that

- the game will not be finished because 1 person is leaving

- the rest of the team are too incompetent to do *anything* without Rocket there

- that only Rocket can do anything (why are the rest of the team even there, then?)

- that Rocket not only got every dollar made from DayZ sales, but is now jumping ship (with a time delay of 10+ months) to make his own games

- it's unacceptable that Rocket might consider doing things like seeing his family or not getting a Czech citizenship instead of sitting around holding people's hands while they fix it through Beta up to release (and for some people, until the game is closed entirely)

with multiple variations of the above, and many using more than one of the above. As long as everything Rocket wants is in the game before he leaves, it really doesn't matter, as all that will be left will be bug fixing and optimisation. Just people being ignorant, reactionary knee-jerkers who don't feel that the facts should influence their opinions. I'd like Rocket to stay on too, but after reading his reasoning for leaving, I can't see any reason why he can't leave, Apple didn't shut shop when Steve Jobs died.

Getting an emotion-based opinion is instantaneous. It happens in a flash of neurons. Like switching a TV channel.

Any kind of rational thought needs careful balancing, analysis, conclusion and error considerations. It is like doing your math homework.

Humans are so horrendously irrational, because it is so easy.

Think about the stock market for crying out loud!

More on topic, I really don't think a war needs one man once the tactics&strategy have been made. Nobody is irreplaceable. Nobody.

So don't worry. I think this will turn out fine. I hereby grant everyone with a different opinion to mercilessly gloat at me if DayZ: SA truly falls flat because Rocket leaves when it gets beta. ;)

Clipper

Hall leaving is probably a disaster. I say this as an avid mod player since the beginning. There is so much stuff that the core mod never incorporated, and standalone goals shoot far beyond them. I dont think the team is technically inept, but the whole dayz thing was rockets vision, and that vision is far from complete. I think similar to TDM, the work will never be done. There will always, always be more room for cool things, fixes to things that seem broke, tweaks, rebalances, new assets, new maps, etc etc.

Without Rocket, I'm afraid the overall direction of the mod may lose its way after a time, even if continual 'progress' toward new 'things' is made at a steady pace.

Kind of the way you would worry about a kid and his development into an adult if his loving and nurturing parents died when the kid is age 13. Progress has been made, but theres still a loooong way to go, and a lot of grey area in between. If hall leaves at any point inside the next year, DayZ will not be anywhere close to its final form.

• Like 1

As far as I could tell from reading an interview with Dean, if he doesn't leave the Czech Republic soon he's going to have to look at citizenship, and has been away from his family for a long time now (went to CR before DayZmod came out to consult on Arma 3, has been there ever since), and from everything I'm reading now (links will be below) there is a metric tonne of content lined up for work and inclusion.

Devblog showcasing features

Gigantic list of upcoming stuff taken from multiple sources and organised into one giant post

http://forums.dayzga...s-from-streams/

It certainly has the potential to be a disaster, not going to pretend that isn't the case. However, if the team can keep the same mindset and approach they have now while Rocket is there, I believe things will turn out well, or at least OK. I would be worried if that giant list of stuff didn't exist, even though the stuff in the video is really neat.

Though I have to say, he must have known that announcing it this early while the game is in the state it's in, would cause a shitestorm. Waiting 3-4 months before making the announcement would have surely gone down a lot better with at least some of the playerbase. Still, that's Dean for you.

Edited by Xarg
  • Like 1

Yeah, gotta agree he sorta dropped the ball with PR, but that's easy to do, and yes - the community seems oversensitive about it.

In the end, people bought DayZ, not Dean Hall.

I can perfectly see the former to evolve and prosper without the latter.

Clipper

He did mention in the interview that he would in some way be involved with the game forever pretty much. He said it was impossible for him not to be, or something similar. Horrible out of context I know.

But yeah, what ungoliant said. Hoping that DayZ becomes what was intended with out the creator involved is pretty short sighted. Kind of like hoping Thief 4 wouldn't be as bad as everyone thought prior to release.

Its just hope, it doesn't carry a lot of weight in the real world.

The community is knee-jerk reactionary so.... no surprise there on that outcome however with Dean gone in a year and the "community" putting in their two cents... har. Just look at the Dayz mod now. Community misguided.

The core mod, or all the offshoots? Private hives with a billion cars and self blood bag and armed starter loadouts, IMO, did far more damage to the core mod than Rocket leaving it to start SA ever did. The good that was done with the hacker prevention/mitigation and rollback was far outdone by the damage to the community, when everyone is playing private hive 1000 cars self blood bag, you join them or you play alone.

While I have no doubt that private hives and the communities they foster will make an appearance in SA, and I'd like to see the community maps touched up and released for it (Namalsk please!), the amount of control that created those abominations will, once again, do far more damage to the game and brand than Rocket leaving, and despite some childish crying, people will eventually get over it. EpochSA would be the death knell of Standalone, that mod broke so much of what made Dayz what it was, and until I'd tried Epoch I thought Origins was bad.

Its not like the community support TDM has because TDM is unified. There is community support and its all toward one vision, one game.

The core mod has suffered because like you say, everyone left to go play the umpteen tens of different community mods of the mod. Then everything is so spread out and sparse that there is no single vision anymore and all the diversity may spawn something unique but the majority of the time all the individual paths just wither and die.

If the entire community was behind the core mod, and god forbid, not allowed to diverge, there would be a singular community and a greater effort put behind it.

Hopefully Dean will still have to sign off on additions/changes. That would at least be some form of QC.

If he's thinking about creating a brand new engine or using another engine he feels is more up to the task for making his own true vision, that is at least a couple/few years away.

I'd like to think that even after he officially leaves, that some of the team might still run some things past him to make sure they're doing right by the core audience, sorta turning him into a part time external consultant. That might just be a pipe dream but given he'd carried on approving DayZmod updates even while working on the standalone (even approved a mod update while going up Everest), barring some contractual or legalese preventing him from doing so, I'd like to think he'll put in his input now and again, though it'd be with the understanding that he's not calling the shots or yelling at the CEO anymore, he's just being asked his opinion. Still, I'd like to think that arguments and personality clashes aside, they'd at least have enough respect for each other to consider it.

If all the above is just wishful thinking, 10 months (plus, depending on factors) is a long time, and they've got a solid work plan. SenChi reportedly has 1 year of work lined up just for the top half of the map, which unless they consider the southern half done, means SenChi has even more work lined up for the map as a whole, I'd say more than just that guy will be kept on. We'll see, maybe I'll be horribly wrong this time next year and will have to eat the hat of the next unlucky idiot I shoot.

"I can always have a quite significant impact on anything using the DayZ brand in accordance with the contract I assigned the rights to Bohemia with. However, from a personal standpoint, whatever impact I have needs to be done from back in New Zealand." - Rocket

Hopefully that's reassuring to some people, assuming they see it.

It's been interesting to see how much inspiration has come from Project Zomboid, (a rather fun game might I add), like ripping shirts into bandages and now the cooking system. I'm kinda hoping a passive and mostly (or fully) hidden levelling system for non combat is added to the game (real small stuff, like can run slightly further before getting winded, or bandage slightly faster) to encourage people to value their character's lives.