The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

So yesterday I wanted to focus on social gameplay. My plans was to go and talk to everybody and see where it takes me.

1) Wandered around electro. Met two guys in military uniform. They spoke with russian/ukranian/polish/eastern accent. They wanted my to drop my few items on the ground so I stripped. They inspected my stuff and took all my ammo. I was given the permission to take back my stuff. The other, younger male, said "thanks for a lot of ammo. I like you. What is your name?" I replied. He shot me in the face.

2) Spawned in a random village. I immediately met a guy who ran to me. We talked a bit and after a few sentences the guy tried to hit me with an axe. I taunted the guy for attacking unarmed people and sucking with the axe. He said he was just fooling around. We continued chatting and he pulled out a shotgun and fired, but missed. I taunted him for attacking unarmed people and poor aim while he was repeatedly shooting at me and missing while I ran circles around him. He ran out of bullets and killed me with an axe while I was running around him and trying to hit him with my bare fists.

3) Spawned near Kambiwobo and went towards electro. Met a friendly guy with whom I traveled. We talked a bit, but there wasn't much to talk about. We reached electro and saw two armed guys (different from who killed me). There were bodies on the street. We took weapons from the dead and escaped. Few moments later we met a guy who was running. We tried to calm him down and assure no harm will come to him but he just ran. Somebody shot me dead.

Current social gameplay is crap in this game. It is just team deathmatch with silly respawn times. There isn't much incentive for the need to work together. Hopefully they fix that. The most interesting situations have always come from social interactions with the other players. But always it ends, at some point, by being shot dead by a random guy with no apparent provocation.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Its nice to get a group of people together, like 2-4, and then rove around and do the social thing. People outnumbered will be far nicer we've found in the past. But yeah, generally dealing with people in the game means death. That's where stealth comes in! :)

If it's any consolation (it won't be), every review for games similar to DayZ I've read recently make it sound like it's even worse on the other side of the fence. I kinda blame 20 years of deathmatch, gamers have been conditioned to shoot first and ask questions never. That some guy said sorry before trying to murder you again is progress, worrying as that is.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 3 months later...

The recent patch added stealth elements to DayZ.

The zombies are nowadays a real threat. Sure, their fearsomeness comes from their insane speed and how they punch you in rapid succession while running circles around you. It looks very glitchy, and makes the zombie extremely deadly: if you end up fighting them you will get hurt. To get one killed in melee, means you are always bleeding. For a fresh spawn it means you can fight 2 zombies. Then you run out of rags to staunch the bleeding and you bleed to death unless you find some bandage in time.

To offset the zombie deadliness, the stealth gameplay is now in effect. I had quite an interesting gameplay session yesterday. I met zero players, but the zombies kept the business interesting for me. I was sneaking around Krasnostav with my amphibia S (a silenced .22LR pistol. I had no clip, so I had chambered a single shot in the gun. I had found it in the floor of a garage. There was plenty of ammo, because you can find .22 in piles of 10-50 shots).

It felt like playing a thief game, actually. I saw a zombie walking in the street. Ducked quickly out of sight. Crouch-ran around the house. Saw the zombie lumber on the other side of the house. Crept to the corner, peeked around, aimed the gun to the back of the head of the zombie... If I missed the shot, I would be in trouble because it takes long time to always chamber a new shot into the pistol manually. Took a better aim... Pew! Down he went. Chambered another round and went in to loot the houses.

Later I found a blaze double rifle plus some ammo. I felt pretty good about it all: had found some food, clothing, crafted me a backpack to fit more loot. It started to feel too easy. Then a military zombie jumps my back (dangerous, because zombie hitting you to the back can insta-kill you.) It was silent and calm and I was examining my inventory and suddenly something starts beating the shit out of me. Almost fell of my chair, I was so startled.

I lived, but had a frantic fight with the zombie and ended up panic-shooting the blaze to it's chest (makes noise, got worried about it.). I tended my bleeding wounds with some rags. Went to safe place and closed and locked the door with my lockpick. I Checked my items. My jacket was ruined. My amphibia S was damaged because of the attack. Shit. Just as I was feeling safe, I almost died immediately, survived, but lost some gear. Must to be more careful! If it was a player or two zombies, I would have certainly died.

Later I found a Trumpet (a .22 silent takedown rifle with an internal tubular magazine, 11 shots). I had a lot of fun sneaking in the town and silently taking down the zombies and looting the buildings. Now there was room for error too: if I missed, I could always pump up a few more shots before the zombie catched me.

A good patch, in my opinion. It changes a lot of stuff. I think the deathmatch DayZ is soon over. Freshspawns really need start to collaborate if they want to survive.

It is good that the zombies are so deadly. Now, they should just be less glitchy... Oh, and they need to configure the loot dispersion properly. Presently there is no sense in where what items are spawned: for example the outhouse toilets have clothes, and guns and melee weapons in them.

Clipper

I see the price is getting very close to the £15 mark, so look forward to buying this soon.

Just a word of caution: the price will increase.

When I bought this it cost 20e. Now it is 28e.

The reason is, that the closer it is to get finished, the higher the price will be. I suppose (but do not know, but think that) the ready game will cost the typical 40e, when they get it finished. Then the price starts falling down again.

Clipper

• 3 weeks later...

DayZ is a game where emergent gameplay and stories appear. Player fates sometimes intertwine in a strange way.

I woke up in the beach and was hungry. Searched a nearby town and found a knife, but no food. I was starving and the outlook was bad.

Then I found this guy lying on the ground.

b58azHU.jpg

The wounds seemed self-inflicted and the corpse was fresh ("Has no pulse, is warm to touch"). I butchered the corpse with my knife and ate him..

Raw.

Didn't even get sick.

With the energy boost my character made his way deeper inland, found a lot of stuff and started a base there. Perhaps he will live long. Perhaps he dies horribly. Whatever the case, he got a good start because someone else ended themselves by their own hand.

Sometime I wish there was some sort of god camera in areas, so that you could see what happened in a certain place eariler. The stories and the drama would be fascinating.

Clipper

You'll be a barrel of laughs when the Kuru sets in. Any idea if they're closer to finishing up the V3S? I haven't been paying much attention while abroad.

I was expecting to get sick but didn't. I think the RNG was on my side, this time.

The trucks are already in game and usable. The physics are a bit wonky but they are a fast way to get around the map. They also obey server persistence, so they are a resource people are fighting for.

Well, we don't fight. Usually you just look for bases in the forest, grab everything you can carry and steal the car to you base. At best, we have had two cars stashed away in you four-member survival community.

Clipper

I remember reading somewhere they were looking at putting in stuff like manual transmission, and adding the fuel and repair systems soon, and at some point adding the tray on the back for carrying people/goods, is there an ETA on that?

I remember reading somewhere they were looking at putting in stuff like manual transmission, and adding the fuel and repair systems soon, and at some point adding the tray on the back for carrying people/goods, is there an ETA on that?

ETA:s are fluid, I thinks. Yep, there is a lot of candy coming, also I heard they are adding new cars like a bus and a lada. Anyhow, they are reporting their mission status every week now. Read these to stay on top of things:

http://dayz.com/blog/

Clipper

Thanks for the link, some good stuff on there. Broom handle! The new zombie type will be interesting, I wonder if it'll be the crawler, or a totally new type?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, so you try to help people and then die? Amazing...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Oh, so you try to help people and then die? Amazing...

It is a sandbox game where everything is allowed and that is one viable outcome.

I was once traveling the coast offering pumpkins to starving people. (I had really seen trouble and had a hidden farm where I made the crops.) Met a guy who said he had shells. I had a shotgun (but no shells), and gave the gun to him, certain he would shoot me. But I gave it anyways, just for science. He didn't kill me. In fact he was so impressed by my trust that he became my bodyguard. We traveled the coast together and met some bandits. He tried to protect me during the firefight, but died. I hid in a building and the bandits surrounded me and demanded my surrender. I came out hands raised vouching for my non-hostile intentions. The bandits took me hostage. They restrained me, questioned me, took my pumpkins and ammo (I had no weapons, but some ammo as bargaining chip) and let me go.

Later, I happened to meet bodyguard guy by chance in the coast and he came along again, just to die again in an axe fight while defending me.

DayZ can be a really dull and frustrating game. Or it can evoke fantastic emergent gameplay and stories. At best it is like a movie where you play a role, but do not know the script what will become of you.

You meet all kinds: total douchebags and totally awesome people. I tend to be the latter, even if it kills me occasionally. ;)

Clipper

• 1 month later...

Interview with Brian Hicks at E3 - modding, single player, new vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a bit the other night, the new zombie seems to be the crawler. Almost got my ankles mauled off, those things are fast, and with the skin and clothing colours, blend in quite well. A potent new threat indeed, the grass is now even less safe.

Some weird statistics:

When I play alone, if I band up with a stranger, who is a male, I will log out alive and well at the end of my session.

When I play alone, if I band up with a stranger, who is a female, I die horribly in a frantic shootout with some other group.

Conclusion: lots of femme fatales in DayZ?

Clipper

Entirely possible, but usually the lady doesn't kill me, but we are attacked by others. Of course, she could be controlling a kill team of minions and silently give them orders via teamspeak.

Last time when it happened, I was knocked unconscious without anyone realizing I wasn't dead. I could eavesdrop what happened around me for 15 min or so. It was quite interesting.

We were attacked by three people, and I gunned down 2 of them. At that point I was lying bleeding on the ground, legs broken, with no ammo in my gun. The last atttacker was unarmed and hit me unconscious while I was reloading.

While I was out cold I heard a group loot me and discuss about the fight. I heard the guy that punched me unconscious boast to the lady that he killed all the people lying around. The new guy and the lady were attacked by some third group and then I finally bled to death, or were shot.

Shame, it would have been awesome to somehow crawl out of that situation. Interesting session. I decided to always carry a saline bag and try to revive all unconscious players no matter what. Just to make stuff interesting.

Clipper