The Dark Mod Forums

DayZ Standalone released!

Xarg

Played this some more yesterday. The enchantment of the beginning is fading fast. My biggest gripe is the loot respawn system.

Basically you just walk from town to town and conclude there is no point in doing so because everything has been taken already. I had a grand adventure of getting to the fabled supermarket in Polana. Dodging some players and killing some zombies, I reached my destination only to find that the town contains less loot than the obscure little towns southwards.

The player should examine recently restarted servers and log in only in those to get a somehow rewarding gaming experience, which is just stupid.

Hopefully the loot system gets implemented soon, as the current system just isn't working. If they added some guaranteed food piles (a water pump of food) into the bigger cities or few contested areas, it would be better.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Once the next bunch of server optimisations are in, they'll be looking at respawning zombies and items, which should help deal with the lack of food if you're unlucky enough to log into a server that has had areas picked clean.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

also, sooner or later they are going to add animals and hunting. this is huge missing functionality that is clutch to the dayz experience imo. nothing better than shooting a couple rabbits, chopping some wood, making a campfire, and cooking some coney over the fire. much more nutritious than that canned garbage in the supermarkets as well.

m4 confirmed paintable. i have a green m4 with green handguard now. can't paint camo with green/black yet :( found an sks, and a new 'double rifle', kind of like a winchester. sks is semiauto. also found a sewing kit, which is freakin awesome.

That new rifle is the B95? Blazer I think? Haven't tried it myself, but AB has one. I picked up a camo Mosin off the roof of the 3 storey office building, it looks really sexy and makes up for the game taking my unpainted Mosin during the patch cycle. Haven't had a chance to use the sewing kit yet, the one item I'd want to use it on is ruined, so I'll be keeping my eyes open for replacement pants.

That new rifle is the B95? Blazer I think? Haven't tried it myself, but AB has one.

It's actually quite good. I held my own against three guys at the NEAS yesterday. I was in one of the top bunk rooms and two stacked up outside. They just opened the door and I popped one in the head, he went down in one. Then another came in and I missed the second shot, so got out my magnum and got him as he was fumbling around with an axe. I went down the stairs to check and yet another came out from under the stairs with another axe, so I did the same to him. I ditched the Blaze because, while really cool and powerful, you have to reload it manually from your inventory, which isn't great in situations like that.

I've got a Mosin now and an M4 in my hands because I couldn't pass it up from one of the guys I got. All I really need now is a damn magazine for my FNX and its 3 stacks of ammo so I can get rid of the magnum... my inventory is pretty much dominated by baked beans and canteens.

I've got 4 FNX mags, I'll give you 2. Eat all the food, your body can store around 20,000 units of energy, <600 is hungry, <300 is very hungry, <100 is health loss causing starvation. Between energy, body fat and muscle tissue your body can store a LOT of energy. Water on the other hand is a much more limited resource internally, so the only consumable items I keep are canteens and stuff like tablets for when they become useful, food I eat on the spot.

I was eating the canned food as I got it until I realised there were three guys wondering around. The server had recently restarted and, for some reason, the airstrip just spawned a lifetime supply of beans and chest holsters. Gonna be great when the gas stoves are working.

9966ed679c84b8d97846724643acc29e_large.gif?1378939519

One of the big ones for me is hunting, let me live off the land already (not just berries). Let me hunt animals, harvest vegetables, that sorta thing, and then use the gas stove and cooking pot.

Berries? How do I get berries? Any kind of non-loot eatable would work for my character right about now.

(Unless, when I jump back the server restarted and the Polana supermarket is full of juicy steaks and freshly baked bread.)

Clipper

For sure. I really hope the end product will allow persistent in-world crafting as has been proposed, as well as hunting since it would add real purpose to the wilderness. Still, I'd love to seize control of one of the high-rise apartments outside Cherno or inside Berezino and have a little posse living in separate rooms. It'd be like that apartment in 28 Days Later with all the shopping trolleys at the bottom.

Best not to bother with berries: usually the bushes are empty or will knock you unconscious by way of poison and probably end in your demise.

Edited by Airship Ballet

There are 2 types of bushes which have pickable berries, one of which is a relatively low level of nutrition, the other is poisonous and will cause severe food poisoning (which by Merino's graphs is roughly equivalent to chemical poisoning and thus really bad news). Think one is a green bush and one is an orange bush, I *believe* it's the orange bush that has the good berries. You could check the forums for it, someone put up pictures of the two bushes and explained which was which.

If they put in some kind of fortification ability like the Epoch mod has, it would be feasible to claim buildings (barring ghosting and break-ins), which would be pretty awesome, though I'd like to see the zombie building pathfinding fixed up a bit, something I've noticed is currently a step back from the mod (though overall the zombies are a step forward)

Edited by Xarg

Quite genuinely got the shakes for a good 10 minutes when I turned to see a fuckin' zombie head floating through the floor at me. I made noises, which is rare for me...

Edited by Airship Ballet

Heh, pity I missed it. Still need those FNX mags or was RNGesus kind to you?

Still need 'em! I went on that little trip to the airfield from the boat, had a mild panic attack while killing those three guys (it isn't just me that gets horrendously shaky and panicky in those CQB situations, is it? I still have mouse control and stuff but damn do I freak out internally). I found a mosin in the little hidden clippy area on top of the office building in Berezino and then went back to the ship, logged off where I started. I've got an ammo box full of rifle ammo and useless ACP rounds, so magazines would be appreciated ^^

Steam's refusing to load (and flash is giving me fits) otherwise I'd have offered to trade you 2 empty mags for your magnum ammo already. *sigh*

Bah. Another utterly unrewarding and unfun run.

I examined the shopping mall plus some of the biggest houses at Polana. Nothing.

I examined *both* shopping malls at Berezino. In the same town, I checked all the 6 buildings marked with red cross in the Chernarus+ map on the south side. Nothing.

Now I'm dying of starvation in some high-story apartment building. If my next run does not coincide with a server restart, I'm gonna lose my character with decent gear (backpack, mosin, some ammo, first aid kit.)

The loot respawn system hates me. :(

I'm hating it back! :angry:

Clipper

Now I'm dying of starvation

Add me on Steam and I'll come force-feed you some beans!

maybe you should see how the bandit lifestyle treats you.

I've found you don't have to actively search for other people. If you go around looting high-traffic areas you can easily justify your murdering sprees because they'll fire first!

Edited by Airship Ballet

• 2 weeks later...

OMG hunting, finally! No more skulking towns for tins of sardines and beans.

Also, a pity Rocket is leaving, but I guess I can see why. If he's really going to run it on the traditional definitions of Alpha, Beta, Release, in a year or so the game will be in Beta, which ideally would be just bugfixes and optimisations, and there wouldn't really be much more creative work for him to do. Sad to see him go though.

Edited by Xarg