The Dark Mod Forums

My personal experience playing TDM

RinShibuya

I simply want share my rather brief gameplay experience.

I'm currently playing(more specifically stopped playing) the "Tears of Saint Lucia" Mission and I had SO much difficulty getting pass the first Guard(which I'm guessing is a Hammerite), first few minutes in the level. I've tried sneaking pass him, but never succeeded, he dashes towards me. Front-on combat with shortsword is also a no-no; just two whacks from his hammer and I'm already dead, forcing me to reload or restart(I've reload countless times). The diffculty is even set to easiest as possible with all the assists enabled. The guard is armored and the only way to damage him in a duel is by attacking his head since its the only unarmored part(as far as I can tell), but he's too good in parrying and blocking every of my attacks, rendering all my attacks useless. The noisemaker arrows seem rather bugged too, I fired two across the alley and most of the times(rarely he would actually inspect the noises) the guard would just stand there, ignoring the noises.

In the end, I've managed to kill him though, but using archery(using broadhead arrows) in a supposingly close combat fight. One point-blank shot directly in the face with a broadhead arrow didn't kill him, amusingly. I've managed, but barely. It pretty much shows that "frontal combat" is considered as last resort in this game. Yes, its sort of a cool feature that makes the game have a realistic "feel" to it, since the main character is more of a thief and not a fighter but then still I find it outright difficult to play.

Before any you say something like "You're too noob" or somewhere along those lines, I can assure you that I'm no noob or newbie in FPS stealth games. I'm not saying that I'm a professional. However, I consider myself the more "average FPS player". I've played the Thief games at hard mode(and sometimes even expert) and still found it more manageable than this game. Dont get wrong though, this game is actually pretty fun but the overall difficulty just seems to skyrocket, even at the easiest settings.

Heck, I'll definitely play this game over 90% of the currently existing generic, mainstream FPS shooters out there, as long as the combat or difficulty is reworked. But at its current state, I might wait till an update lowers its overall difficulty, if there is ever going to be one.

Oh man, that guy:

http://forums.thedar...rs-of-st-lucia/

:laugh:

But yeah, as mentioned there is a way around this guy that allows you to bypass him, and his purpose is try to get the player to look for such things. Most other guard placements aren't going to be as mean as him.

That said, even if you can't find or don't want to use the alternative route, there are some clever ways to pass him without being seen.

I like to shoot a broadhead or two into the barrels next to him so he comes to investigate, then I slip by while he's on his way back to his position.

Another trick that has been mentioned is to use a flashbomb and run past him while he's blinded.

Edited by Professor Paul1290
  • Like 1

There are notes throughout the beginning of the mission that should point you to an alternative route. You can brute force your way through for sure, but an alternate route does exist. I don't recall if any flashbombs offered for sale in the menu prior to mission load, but that would be another option if you really want to get by that guard.

The noisemaker arrows seem rather bugged too,

It would be nice if noise arrows were easier to use. Right now they are hit and miss.

As already mentioned, there's another way to go. Also, you don't need to fight him, can just distract or use other tools to get by. Perhaps your FPS experience has colored your choice of options?

Heck, I'll definitely play this game over 90% of the currently existing generic, mainstream FPS shooters out there, as long as the combat or difficulty is reworked. But at its current state, I might wait till an update lowers its overall difficulty, if there is ever going to be one.

There was a separate thread which ended with the conclusion that fighting is too easy. Upon learning how to fight easily, my first stop was that guard, and he went down without so much trouble.

The trick is movement, which isn't taught in the trainer effectively. When they prepare to swing, run back/away so they miss. Now you won't get taken out. The next trick is when you swing, it can't be when they can block. So time it to be the instant after their blow would have hurt you if it was in reach. So, step back as they swing, step in and strike. The AI will complain on the virtual opponent forums of how difficult players are then.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

There's also a bug that causes AI to do twice the amount of damage they should. At normal, it should take three or four hits to kill the player, not 2. That will be fixed in the next update.

Rinshibuya, i can feel for you. :D Tears of St Lucia was one of the first missions i tried on TDM, and the guy drove me nuts... as the first time i played it, i also didn't find the way around him. Well, the obvious trick would probably throwing an object to disctract him, as already been proposed. Or killing him with an arrow in the face, if you're not into not killing people on a mission.

Throw a flashbomb at the sucker and run past him or find an alternative route. This game is about guile, but I agree the guard is a bit harsh for newcomers.

I am deeply disturbed by your use of the word "guile", as it is pronounced exactly like the German word "geil", which means "cool" or "great", but also "horny".

• Like 1

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Many thanks for the tips and replies.

I've restarted the mission again, and this time, I've done a more thorough exploration. Missed a couple of secrets on my first brief play through (But secrets feel better when you've found them out yourself, ;D). The door opposite from where you start can actually be opened, ROFL. I seriously thought that door was nothing more than wall decoration. Its hard to know which door can be opened or not unless you approach them.

And I also made the pot fall. Throwing random objects at it didn't seem to work. Climbing onto the ropes and firing a broadhead arrow did make it fall.

I'm currently in the sewers and to be frank, all this trouble to go through is still better than dealing with that guard. -_-'

BUT!

Finally, after about half an hour, I managed to complete the mission; lock picking was rather tedious, so much trial and error. I've completed the mission with roughly 2000 gold worth of loot. Just avoid any direct combat with any guard, and your life would be a whole lot easier. The only most difficult part of this level was getting past the first guard, and that's if you didn't know about the hidden path. Everything else was quite a breeze. Still, I think the combat and the noisemaker needs to be resolved. I'll probably get more missions coz I'm starting to get the "natural feel" of this game. :P

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings bout combat. I find it too difficult and generally I just avoid it. Then again this is a stealth game and you are a thief. It should encourage you to use stealth instead of combat. Plus from a realistic point of view you should be at a disadvantage when it comes to combat. You are not wearing armor and have a short sword. Your opponents generally do wear armor and have a long sword or a sledge hammer.

@ RinShiuyba: Don't give up on TDM. I'm someone else who struggles with TDM combat and I've played all the TDM FMs and this has been no issue for me. If you encounter a situation like that of the first guard in St. Lucia then generally that means the FMA has put a more sneaky way around in their FM and you just have to find it. I did something very similar in the entrance to the Bridgeport museum. Finding a cool hidden entrance makes you feel much more like a thief.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker