The Dark Mod Forums

A couple of Thief articles and a video!

Kvorning

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/21411/20140108/ces-2014-gaming-thief-hands-on-demo.htm

-""Oh, a two on one? You're f--ked," Ryan Arbogast, the PR handler for the demo, casually told me. He was right. As we learned at NYCC, Garrettt is no brawler and Thief doesn't have some crazy melee system that lets you string together neck-snapping moves like you would in, say, Assassin's Creed. The name of the game is stealth, plain and simple. Hack and slash fans need not apply."

http://nerdreactor.c...-thief-preview/

-"All told my demo time probably took about 20 minutes, but I absolutely could've played Thief for much, much longer. The game lived up to the things we've heard so far and, as a fan of the series, really does bring back the bare bones feel that makes the game a truly rewarding challenge. I honestly can't wait for Feb. 25 to get here so I can plop down on my couch, turn out the lights and enjoy some AAA stealthing action."

Reviewers returning and shedding some new light on the title. Good reads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt89jpXg4ig

Honestly I'd be happy with just 3 monitors, but realistically I'll never get more than 1 for gaming :P Does look freakin' sweet though!

Edited by Kvorning
  • Like 2

*yawn*

The more I see the less I care.

The player just rushed forward and hacked everyone to the ground, and the AI mainly just stood there, hands down and took a beating. In a stealth game, the player should not get away with head to head fight with a superiorily armed and armoured enemy.

Intelligent stealth gaming? Yeah, right. Unfun interactive goo for the console generation. Bash X to win.

Looks pretty, though, if I must squeeze something posititive out of myself.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I actually tried the 3 monitor version of this...I much prefer my 55" 4k monitor...better resolution, no frame lines...much more spatially immersive.

...and yes, NuThief still looks wanting...I'd take "Lords & Legacy" any day... :)

Edited by Vae

Garrettt is no brawler and Thief doesn't have some crazy melee system that lets you string together neck-snapping moves like you would in, say, Assassin's Creed

Of course, the video then shows a 3rd person "finishing move" where Garrett takes out a defeated guard with his bare hands.

I honestly can't wait for Feb. 25 to get here so I can plop down on my couch

I don't think I'd trust the impressions of anyone (even a "fan of the series" who spells Garrett's name wrong) who plays Thief while plopped on his couch.

I actually tried the 3 monitor version of this...I much prefer my 55" 4k monitor...better resolution, no frame lines...much more spatially immersive.

...and yes, NuThief still looks wanting...I'd take "Lords & Legacy" any day... :)

That's very nice of you to say, but I'm sure every once and a while, people want to try something new with an open mind, rather than playing the same scenario over and over. :)

The player just rushed forward and hacked everyone to the ground, and the AI mainly just stood there, hands down and took a beating. In a stealth game, the player should not get away with head to head fight with a superiorily armed and armoured enemy.

In games like Splinter Cell, Deus Ex or Hitman, the player character is indeed more capable than any single opponent, but must rely on stealth because you cant take out the whole world at once. You probably mean "as I remember while I was first starting to play Thief 1, failing at combat completely and learning then to avoid guards was a big thing in feeling rewarded for playing in complete stealth". Thats not necessarily essential for the fun factor in this new thief (basicly, what amounts to near ghosting), Im thinking much more about a good story well told.