The Dark Mod Forums

A new way of looking at Thief 4

Springheel

@vae I admit this does scream "marketing gimmick" but hoax? really?

@vae I admit this does scream "marketing gimmick" but hoax? really?

I mentioned the hoax possibility, as an unlikely disclaimer, in the remote possibility that it was a hoax not perpetrated by EM, but by a hacker.

Yet, now that Brethren has mentioned the removal of the divisive TDM comment, that would clearly indicate that EM is behind the wheel, and logically modifying the announcement in relation to community response.

The page is still there, same link as listed above. The only difference is - any references to TDM have been removed. :blink:

The whole thing is a little bizarre. I'm sure we'll get an explanation at some point.

I can't see the page anymore either, get the same error as JTR.

This whole thing is very strange yes.

Ya know, for whatever it is worth, I *would* like to just add one thing to this discussion. This is something that applies to almost any place where people are talking about the various Thiefs these days. People often make comparisons to other sequels, both movies and games. Its like, Batman part 4 didnt have such and such in part 2 so... Thief cannot be compared to any other media. Thief: The Dark Project stands completely alone on many fronts. It is decidedly unique, and because it defined itself so explicitly, its taken years to unravel and enjoy every aspect of it. It set its own standard that Thief II improved upon and Deadly Shadow was a pretty fair forgery. The game was bonkers, but it had all the authentic key ingredients. Face it, whatever Looking Glass was holding sacred when they created Thief is only being held at face value in this new game. It makes little sense to compare Thief (4?), Thiefs 1 and 2, and Deadly to a bunch of other movie sequels. Thief is just one of those monumental games that you were meant to rip off and make a new inspired first person "simulator", not bastardize in the name of greed and money and self importance. But as someone pointed out either here or there or somewhere, the dreams that we had at the beginning of the 2000's just never came to fruition. So many agree upon that. Dont worry, folks. I wont be bothering you with this type of stuff very often if ever. I was just reading up on this forum since I am in the process of being eliminated from TTLG, and found this thread to be an uncensored place I could actually get away with just saying how I feel about this.

• Like 2

Would this count? This is just the most recent example.

I wouldn't say so. He implies they've used the series as a springboard and made it their own for better or for worse.

Just going off the flak these guys have gotten, it's a surprise to see somebody from a big studio being pretty down-to-Earth. He didn't Molyneux all over the place with wild claims and nor did he go full Levine with his attitude, just seems to be a normal guy who knows what he and his studio is about. Granted this is IGN but at worst they'll cherry-pick when it comes to interview transcriptions. I'm sure plenty of people are reading this and thinking "that's how they getcha :ph34r:" but really it's just a game.

Edited by Airship Ballet

There you go again with the sensationalism. You really need to stop making people out to be sinister caricatures based on pretty harmless opinions. The entire Thief community is consisted of a bunch of nerds who grew up playing the same kinds of nerdy games with the same nerdy tastes. Nobody's shunning anybody as far as I can see, doesn't have to be so negative. Not sure what you mean about it transcending game status and becoming something else though. I mean sure, people put a lot of time into mapping and get pretty cosy in the community but it's hardly a lifestyle choice or an ideology.

Edited by Airship Ballet
  • Like 1

Nothing is being sensationalized...EM has chosen to be disingenuous throughout the years, including statements and videos that claim NuThief has the "DNA" of a true THIEF game...which of course, it does not.

Edited by Vae

I'm not talking about EM over the years, I'm talking about that one guy in that one interview who seems like a nice guy who enjoys what he does. I have no idea what that has to do with the original trilogy transcending its roots and becoming a passionate subject for all involved, a sort of niche taboo that renders its followers outcasts of society. Then again I can't seem to say much in these threads until I have a tinfoil hat plonked on my head and am told that EM wants my kidneys.

Edited by Airship Ballet

This thread is starting to resemble the other thread, pretty sure that wasn't what Springheel had in mind.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Here we have a marketing gimmick, launched purposefully a week before the release of their NuThief product...This is designed to reap more sales from the many in the community that disapprove of their anti-THIEF design approach, and to give the illusion that they care, by baiting members and modders into believing that there will actually be a future substantial relationship between EM and the community...which there will not.

Also notice the divisive tactic used, by not including TTLG in the announcement.

This of course assumes this announcement isn't a hoax.

I'm going as far as to say that it was an email stealing scam from the get-go. check the contest site. full name + email address for FREE VIDEO GAEMZ. Contest site is not a subdomain of EM/SE websites, and not even a peep from anyone on TDM team about this, or EM/SE. just a couple gaming news sites regurgitating some stuff they read somewhere.

Well, what do you know, it looks like a hoax after all.

You mean there's a way to look at it with an open mind rather than proclaiming it's trash? My God, where can we discuss this new way of looking at Thief 4 and not the opinion that Thief 4 is trash?

You can present any assertion you like, as open-mindedness is welcome here...yet, if you fail to provide a reasonable argument, it will rightfully be shot down for the falsehood that it is...thread title notwithstanding.

The domain is registered to a company in Burbank, CA called Midnight Oil Creative. I suppose they could be organizing the contest for Eidos. They are connected to the gaming industry in some capacity, it appears.

My common sense side says if this was BS, the TDM guys would have piped up by now. EM probably would have too for that matter.

I thought this was "A new way of looking at Thief 4", not "jtr whines about his life". None of the tripe you just said has anything to do with Thief 4, and is rapidly beginning to look like projection in search of attention. Why can't you take the negativity back to the 66 page echo chamber you've already claimed for yourself? Or are people not allowed to discuss Thief 4 without you showing up and pissing on everything? Seriously? Discussing a videogame YOU don't like in a non-negative way is on the level of bigotry? Get the fuck over yourself.

• Like 2

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080