The Dark Mod Forums

Stealth - Games

vvGarrettvv

Ok. 2 scolars are absent due to illness, so I got time to fill up until the next one arrives.

Which stealth games do you know? Here are my favorite stealth- and stealth-action games:

Some of them are not stealth only but leave it up to the players choice to play it that way.

Thief 1 / 2 / 3

The Dark Mod

System shock 1 / 2

Assassins creed 1 / 2 / BH

Splinter Cell

Oblivion

Skyrim

Far cry 3

crysis 1 / 2 / 3

Stealth Bastard

Monaco: Whats yours is mine

Announced:

Thi4f

Middle-earth: shadow of mordor (in development)

Routine (in development)

Alien isolation (in development)

Any more suggestions ?

Edited by vvGarrettvv
  • Like 1

The Burglar class in Lord of the Rings Online does stealth game-play. (Other classes may as well, but don't have stealth specific skills.) There is a Distraction skill which equates to tossing a pebble to make noise, causing the AI to turn to face that way, and a pick pocket skill.

There are also some quests that are stealth specific, and one game "instance" where any class may don the stealth role (via disguises).

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Surprised Deus Ex, Mark of the Ninja and Hitman weren't mentioned. Metro 2033 might also warrant a mention along with Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, though stealth is mostly a factor in the first half of CoC.

• Like 2

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I've only *really* gotten into the stealth genre fairly recently but i've always enjoyed playing stealthily in games before I was properly introduced to stealth games (With TDM and Thief: TDP, thanks guys!). The closest thing to a stealth game that i have played before TDM/Thief would probably be No One Lives Forever 2, forever ago, which I wish I owned the original but I still really liked playing through the game anyhow.

• Like 1

Thievery! It's multiplayer but if you have some friends that are interested and have unreal gold (I think it requires) damn is it a great game

• Like 2

Thievery! It's multiplayer but if you have some friends that are interested and have unreal gold (I think it requires) damn is it a great game

I got it on my HD, because I love Unreal tournament (1) . And it`s installed there for years.

If u want to play one round, let me know. I never played that thing online.

Does it work online PvP ? Thief against guards ? Thief vs, thieves?

It's coop, I don't know if it supports other play styles.

I played it years ago with a buddy of mine and we had so much fun stealing things together. Like one would distract a guard whilst another snuck into the guard booth and unlocked a door then you both snuck in.

It's that sort of style

• Like 1

The Burglar class in Lord of the Rings Online does stealth game-play. (Other classes may as well, but don't have stealth specific skills.) There is a Distraction skill which equates to tossing a pebble to make noise, causing the AI to turn to face that way, and a pick pocket skill.

There are also some quests that are stealth specific, and one game "instance" where any class may don the stealth role (via disguises).

LotR online: Is it fun? I thought it`s only a gigantic battle orcs/urukays against elves/men. Is there a plot behind all this?

Edited by vvGarrettvv

LotR online: Is it fun? I thought it`s only a gigantic battle orcs/urkays against elves/men. Is there a plot behind all this?

It's heavy on plot/story, it parallels the books, and offers sideline stories as well. As a burglar, you can avoid the majority of fighting, by sneaking past to obtain the goal, or take out a bad guy without messing with minions. ;-) However there are instances where stealth isn't feasible, or bosses that aren't impacted by it when it would ruin game-play or plot developments.

It starts in separate areas based upon race choice, then moves through the Old Forest into Bree (Tom Bomadil in the Barrow Downs), from there heads to the Lone Lands or North Downs helping the Rangers (Strider's men). Then it moves on with a lot of plot surrounding a side character and works toward Rivendell. You are instrumental aiding a main character (don't want to spoil who), and interact with other members of the Fellowship too. You then follow them after they open up Moria, aiding Dwarves attempting to reclaim it. You catch up to them in Lothlorien (where they tarried for a while), then follow after them down into Rohan. There's a whole side bit with the Rise of Isengard where you have significant dealings with Saruman and learn of the politics with various tribes there. This past Fall they just released Helm's Deep, and that's as far as the story has gotten so far. It is also the first occasion of an actual "battle".

As an MMO, you'll find various players delve into the story, others ignore it, some focus more on fighting, others on crafting, there's a tiny bit of PvP (player verse monster player technically), and a tiny bit of RP (although a couple servers designated for RP).

Don't get me wrong though, most of it is questing, so killing X of such-and-such MOBs, or going after a specific one, or collect stuff, if you don't like "FedEx" quests, avoid questing in the Shire, as pretty as it might be. Some of those stealth only helps to increase your initial attack (from behind), or avoiding having to fight things between here and there.

Upon getting to high enough levels to be in Rohan and obtaining a "Warsteed", there's even "stealth" while mounted, via disguise, which is dang convenient to not pull the threat of things nearby. Note stealth in LOTRO is not based upon light/sound as much as position/distance, and unless you have items that increase stealth speed, you move slower while creeping around.

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Project I.G.I. is a tactic shooter (I mean a real tactic shooter, not this new-age covering-shooter stuff). So it goes roughly into that direction.

Ravenshield (same genre, but more in the direction of team play) may also be noteable.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Geez, I'd forgotten about the existence of Project I.G.I. I wouldn't really call it tactical though. My install broke the first time I ever played it so I had no HUD. I assumed the lack of a crosshair was part of the game and played it through without it. It's difficult as all hell but not very tactical.

PAYDAY 2's an amazing game that you can play either noisily or stealthily; tenuous but everything else I can think of has been mentioned. You have to spec skill points into trees that let you stealth which means you can't survive a firefight properly until you have enough levels to compensate but still, pretty fun to stealth.

http://youtu.be/8yzLwDI7J0s

Oh, and Commandos. Good luck getting that to run on a contemporary rig though.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light. Maybe Outlast too, but I'm not sure about it. Only ever saw a few gameplay videos.

Maybe, if you want to include older games too, Jagged Alliance 2 (not sure about 1). It's a tactical strategy RPG, but with the right Mercs and the right equipment, stealth missions are very viable. And to my judgement, this game never quite gets old. :)

I always get a little amused to see Assassins creed listed as a game that features stealth...

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Ooopss...I forget two of my alltime-favorites. Shame on me:

Velvet assassin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Assassin

The saboteur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saboteur

@Skaruts: AC does feature stealth, but it isn`t a vital component for the AC-series.

You can hack-n-slay ur way thru or play stealthy .

I use every opportunity for sneaking behind the opponents or into some rooms, castels etc.

For me the only way enjoying the game.

@RJFerret: I shall take a look. Sounds interesting.

I believe Arx Fatalis had some stealth elements too.

@Skaruts: AC does feature stealth, but it isn`t a vital component for the AC-series.

You can hack-n-slay ur way thru or play stealthy .

I use every opportunity for sneaking behind the opponents or into some rooms, castels etc.

For me the only way enjoying the game.

Yea but it's a bit like the kind of stealth that any game ends up featuring: "choose the path where guards aren't" or "hide behind the thing"... :rolleyes: I could do that in quake if it gave me sufficient paths to follow...

Apart from the Blend feature which doesn't serve many purposes (and is a bit of a dumb feature considering how blatant it would be in reality), it seems to be just that.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Blend worked reasonably well in AC1, since your costume was quite similar to the wandering religious folk who walked around the towns... the costume in general has been getting a bit sillier and more out of place with each installment, to the point where I would either unlock and choose Altair's robes because it didn't matter to the AI even if I stuck out like a sore thumb, or would choose a costume that actually fit in, like the captain's uniform in AC3. The distraction features for the guards were kind of neat at first, but as with everything else until AC3, it suffered feature creep, until Revelations where you had so many damn options it was actually too much choice. Do I use courtesans, mercenaries, thieves, or one of the five base bomb types with one of five or so triggering mechanisms with one of five effects? Ugh, bombs. Just sticking with smoke bombs would have been fine.

Funnily, the blend feature was almost essential in the first game, as walking around normally would attract attention, so you had to pretty much pretend to be a lone religious person until you could blend with a group. That got gutted later on too, to where you could run around at full tilt and noone would care as long as you didn't do anything illegal or run directly into the enemy Byzantine troops. You could shove people around in front of the Ottomans and all you'd get is a shove back and a verbal warning.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I wouldn't call Dishonored that weak on stealth. It overdid it with the swooshy movement maybe, but you still have AI on patrols you have to get around. I played it as a stealth game anyway. It was more so than the action-stealth types, like AC.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.