The Dark Mod Forums

New DOOM beta.

MasterHelpo

I'm definitely interested.

Other than say Rise of the Triad, there haven't been many good shooters in the past few years.

Hopefully the new DOOM can bring back all of that hellish insanity that I remember from the nineties!

Wow a new Wolfenstein AND a new Doom, AND I knew nothing about either of them? Interestings...

@Nacht7, you didn't like the 2013 Shadow Warrior game?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Shadow Warrior's awesome.

I can't get behind any future Bethesda/Zenimax effort after the Prey 2 debacle. They tried to shutter Human Head Studios when they wouldn't sell their studio. Just awful folks in charge over there.

Besides Doom 4/ Reboot 3 is shaping up to be a disaster. id's lost over 100 people since Rage shipped. It was announced way back in mid 2008, was scrapped in late 2011, and they were hiring a new creative director last year. Bethesda wants Doom to be as big as Skyrim.

http://kotaku.com/five-years-and-nothing-to-show-how-doom-4-got-off-trac-468097062

I'm of two minds for Doom 4. I do still play Doom 1 and 2, but I can't help but feeling that a remake just won't interest me. It's not to say that a new Doom can't be great, just that the chances are stacked against it when the FPS scene as I experience it has evolved far past the Doom format with team multiplayer (CS / TF2), co-op (L4D2, Portal) and HL2. Gameplay is just much more deep, social and involved for me to play against the computer. Playing with others matters way way more.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy Candy Crush just because it's not multiplayer, but if I'm playing an FPS shooter, I want it to be with others or else I won't bother. TDM is different in that I'm playing for different reasons - immersion, feeling of stealth, role-play, puzzles, etc.

I was a huge ROTT fan in the 90s and I pre-ordered the 2013's remake only to be left feeling an overall sense of underwhelm. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here by putting down ID, Doom, single player FPS or remakes - I would really love for D4 to be amazing.. just I suspect in all likelihood that it just won't be.

I don't see how D4 can be the huge success that ID is banking on (or now struggling with?) in that light. Doom at its heart is a single player game so basically it's fucked because they don't have the freedom to take the brand to new, more fun places without the backlash of expectation. I have no clue on the internal dealings of Bethesda however I can't help but feel that if there was in fact enough belief in D4 from the bottom up, that their development team would be begging to work on what, in theory, should be the most important game of their lives but no.. instead, their leaving hand over fist for other projects.

Doom in 2014 seems like a curse where you're simultaneously blessed with arguably the PC's most exciting franchise but chained to a format that's destined to be received as mediocre at best. Rage, a technical masterpiece with none of the baggage, was a real chance for them to establish a new, modern era FPS franchise but they went down the same old beaten track so this also suggests that they don't have the capacity for change even if they wanted to. I really... really want to see ID and Bethesda massively succeed in this space because of their good virtues but I feel that it'll be yes, yet another underwhelming remake leaving ID in deep trouble.

I feel like violently shaking everyone at ID and saying jesus fucking christ you're such a fucking genius and I love you but can you just for one second focus on making FUN?!! ._.

Better of scrapping Doom and focusing on Quake imo. Where is the maturity in the game industry? It's akin to saying that you can bring Pacman back from the dead and expect it to be stellar because it has better gfx. Thoughts? :wacko:

Riker_ef9ec9_1594872.gif

Edited by delatroy

Reminds me of Tarantino, probably because those red paused screens, just before a violent moment, with country music.

I picked up on that too. Direction obviously borrowing a lot from Inglorious Bastards which worries me deeply. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie. Focus on and show me fucking gameplay. Whole trailer felt like that generic, commonplace and commercialized shite that's all too common in AAA titles these days.

My fear for any new Doom game is they'll try do what they did with Doom 3 - turn a game that should be about shotguns demons and fast action, into a slow and crawling corridor jump-closet "scare" fest. Maybe if that's how Doom had started Doom 3 wouldn't have been so bad, but it felt like they were trying to fully reinvent it and just used some vaguely recognisable skins to help sell it. Meanwhile, if I want fast paced demons shotguns and action with more modern takes on how an fps should play, I can just load Brutal Doom and get that. If Id can make a fully modern Brutal Doom, I'll probably look at getting it, but after Doom 3 I don't think I have faith in them to do so, it might come across to them as throwing away what they tried with Doom 3, and I'm not sure they'll go for it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

My fear for any new Doom game is they'll try do what they did with Doom 3 - turn a game that should be about shotguns demons and fast action, into a slow and crawling corridor jump-closet "scare" fest. Maybe if that's how Doom had started Doom 3 wouldn't have been so bad, but it felt like they were trying to fully reinvent it and just used some vaguely recognisable skins to help sell it. Meanwhile, if I want fast paced demons shotguns and action with more modern takes on how an fps should play, I can just load Brutal Doom and get that. If Id can make a fully modern Brutal Doom, I'll probably look at getting it, but after Doom 3 I don't think I have faith in them to do so, it might come across to them as throwing away what they tried with Doom 3, and I'm not sure they'll go for it.

Agreed. Doom is and always should be a fast paced shooter. It defined a whole genre of games.

Hopefully, Doom 4 is more in the vein of the first two games. Doom 3: BFG Edition seems to be pointing in that direction, due to some of the changes in gameplay and the inclusion of Doom 1 and 2 bundled with the game.

Edited by Nacht7

Well, in the recent issue of German gaming magazine Gamestar (that also reviewed the new Thief), the editors got to play the first three levels of the new Wolfenstein. They said they liked it a lot and can't wait to play the full game. There seem to be multiple approaches to playing this game, as in Rambo-style vs. Thief-style.

This leaves me with the vague hope that Doom 4 will be in good hands and more fun than Doom 3 which is highly moddable but ultimately lacking in gameplay.

@Nacht: I'd love Doom 4 to have some variance in gameplay. Like levels where you just waltz through your enemies, but then also maps where you try to stay quiet or else you're screwed. If you look on the market today, there are lots of fast paced shooters out there (Painkiller or Serious Sam come to mind immediately), and while this kind of games can be fun for a while, they get old quick (at least to me). OTOH, the jump-scare Doom 3 was so repetitive that I couldn't really enjoy it, too. Let's hope that D4 will find its own, good way.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think this one comment on a Wolfenstein video page I looked at nailed it,

Honestly I’m curious how they even still have money. It’s not like people are buying up their engine.

I actually throroughly enjoyed Rage even though there wasn't a lot of substance to it, and to my knowledge it didn't sell very well and prior to that it was Doom 3. So many years between paychecks. What with Carmack spread between this and Oculus I'm sure his attention will be divided and lets face it without focus we get titles like nuThief.

With all that in mind I think they're doing what they can to make another-AAA-cinematic-experience not for any hardcore following or ancient fan base that makes up less than a few percentage of sales and rages negativities on forums most people don't read.

Seems like they want to make something that is going to appeal to the masses and rake in as much cash as possible regardless of the outcome. If cash flow allows them to make other great unique IP down the road, so be it.

• 5 months later...

By some miracle, it looks like this is going to be epic! I guess a change in team was very positive for getting back to the Doom roots.

Bought a beta key based on the reaction video to the gameplay reveal at Quakecon:

Think it's coming in 2015.

Key bought, but beware, that I think Zenimax are using the email address you register for the key to create an account - which I personally did not sign up for.

That company seems to be doing more and more shady things. I just hope their practices don't leak over into Bethesda Game Studios.

That company seems to be doing more and more shady things. I just hope their practices don't leak over into Bethesda Game Studios.

I shouls also mention the site selling the key/s is a bit shady, they need you to register an account and want you put all everything including full name and address. I entered fake details and at the point of paying I was able to use a fake name.

Kinguin? nah they're fine. I've been using them for over a year now and have had no problems. Theres also a British based place called https://www.cdkeys.com that I use sometimes.

The only thing thats shady on these keysites are the Russian VPN activated keys (it will pretty much guarantee that your account will be locked by steam) but as long as you avoid that there should be no problem.

The only thing thats shady on these keysites are the Russian VPN activated keys (it will pretty much guarantee that your account will be locked by steam) but as long as you avoid that there should be no problem.

I have always suspected and avoided buying russian game keys.

If anyone wants a beta key they sell them for €1 ($US 1.35) here

http://www.kinguin.n...cess-steam-key/

Thanks, just bought this and the key is invalid. Now I have to deal with this shady company and their horrible tech support.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.