The Dark Mod Forums

Square Enix and Amazon.com announce Thief Mod Contest

Springheel

Let's wait until the details come out today, but I'd be happy if you took care of that. :)

The U.S. restriction is unfortunate. I think we should start making a list of people here from the U.S. that would be willing to enter the contest for some of the people who aren't eligible. Kind of an entry by proxy.

It'd have to be some well established members here though, considering some of the prizes.

So... whatcha doin, Bikerdude? You have a bit of a habbit of winning contests around here... lol

Hopefully we will see some new Thief Gold or TDM missions!

Also, there was that version of The Trickster's mansion that was made for TDM during testing but never completed. Can that be polished up and entered?

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Thing is, unless they extend the deadline from what it says currently, they aren't giving people a lot of time to work on their projects. End date is April 14th, which is less than two months away. Hard to get even a small mission done in that time frame.

Then again, you're really only submitting a video, so the mod doesn't have to be in fully functioning order and can be released later when it's 100% working.

• Like 1

I guess the leading contenders will be existing missions. The short timescale makes this more a celebration of what's been done as much as an encouragement to build anew. It's great to see yet more well-deserved recognition coming TDM's way. Another reason to say a big thanks to the team who've put in so much work on TDM over the years. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

So... whatcha doin, Bikerdude? You have a bit of a habbit of winning contests around here... lol

I have already been working on a mission for the contest, but untill today wasnt sure what i was going to do. You guys have already seena screen shot from said map <evil grin>

Now Komag can finally release his Thief Rebuilds!

Already emailed about this, may evne help him if he dosent have enough time in RL.

I have already been working on a mission for the contest, but untill today wasnt what i was going to do. you guys have already seena screen shot from said map <evil grin>

Already emailed about this, may evne help him if he dosent have enough time in RL.

I thought TDM "Team Members" are excluded per the contest terms?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Looks like the Amazon contest page has re-added their reference to TDM:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1001928521

The PC Gamer article is really confusing, They call it a "Thief Gold" contest, but then go right into talking about TDM and how it was their "Mod of the Year." Weird.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/19/square-enix-amazon-announce-thief-gold-modding-competition/

This contest concerns me a bit. Won't this temporary license to use Thief IP create problems down the road? How do we go back to telling people no, when nearly every entry into this contest says otherwise? I'm surprised to see you guys so quickly jump on the opportunity to contaminate the waters after all that has been done to avoid legal troubles.

• Like 2

This contest concerns me a bit. Won't this temporary license to use Thief IP create problems down the road? How do we go back to telling people no, when nearly every entry into this contest says otherwise? I'm surprised to see you guys so quickly jump on the opportunity to contaminate the waters after all that has been done to avoid legal troubles.

Don't think there was any quick jumping going on. :)

Do you know what's up with Doom 3 world?

Won't this temporary license to use Thief IP create problems down the road? How do we go back to telling people no, when nearly every entry into this contest says otherwise?

We haven't even seen the agreement in writing yet, so it's hard to say. But the license is not given to us, as I understand it; it's a license that applies to the contest. Basically, by agreeing to the contest license, you are given permission to use Thief IP, and you can use any platform that you have permission to use. We're giving permission to use TDM.

Do you know what's up with Doom 3 world?

From what I understand the server was compromised and the site has been taken offline. I haven't been in contact with Bernhard so I couldn't tell you what lies ahead. I know he has a growing family and has less time to devote to the site. Make of that what you will.

The EULA for the comp says you can enter the competition but you can't distribute a mod containing anything that's owned by Eidos - so I guess that covers TDM/Eidos IP angle.

Are you guys going to stay in touch and maybe help judge entries and whatnot?

Edited by jay pettitt

So you can create a mod for the contest using the Thief IP, take a video of it to enter in the contest...but then you can't release it for people to play?

I imagine it can be released for people to play, but it would likely need to be appropriately identified as a contest entry specifically for this venture.