The Dark Mod Forums

Square Enix and Amazon.com announce Thief Mod Contest

Springheel

As it says in the FAQ, apparently Amazon.com only supports US contests. There are other divisions of Amazon in other countries but they would have to have their own contest. I assume if that was going to happen it would have happened before the game was released, but who knows.

Hey!

A bit off-topic, but, someone mentioned, that some of you did remakes of the original THIEF-Levels. I know you are not allowed to post them here, but if someone could send me a PM, where to get some to try, it would be nice!

Thank you!

Same here - I never managed to get more than a screenshot of them. :laugh:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hey!

A bit off-topic, but, someone mentioned, that some of you did remakes of the original THIEF-Levels. I know you are not allowed to post them here, but if someone could send me a PM, where to get some to try, it would be nice!

Thank you!

I'm not aware of any completed original Thief-level remakes.

From a mapper point of view it would be just bizarre to make such a mission. To see all the trouble of mission creation and not being able to properly and openly release it; why make something that has been already made, instead of making something completely new?

It would be much more sensible to simply make missions INSPIRED by the original missions, and those we have in plenty supply.

• Like 3

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Komag made them as part of testing the speed and movement of the character with the originals. He would put videos of him walking through the OM and TDM maps side-by-side to see if the scale was the same, the walking and running speed, the headbob, etc. And I think just to have fun with the editor. He did a lot of building experiments. That was just one. They weren't meant to be serious projects or released, and they only had the most basic architecture.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Wow, what great news! I predict a new burst of activity in the Thief FM community, from both new modders & talented veterans alike. Good times ahead, boys. Good times ahead. Maybe it'll even lead to a new engine being developed for Thief with funding by Square-Enix/Amazon that incorporates more modern physics and heavy optimization + a fantastic new FM editor/mission builder, with the TDM guys being major contributers. I just have a hankering to go ziplining in the Thief uinverse. :-)

Aswand.

Edited by Aswand

So since I haven't seen any of the previous talks or hints about what they were planning to release, I assume I am safe in making a guess that can be neither confirmed or denied.

An Editor for the new Thief Game?

I did find it odd that they would announce a modding contest, using every version of a thief like game, except for the new one. Although, like has been mentioned, the plan may have changed as it was run up the chain of command, and someone decided, let's release the editor in 6 months when we have exhausted some DLC content, and to get new people to buy the game just to edit with it (maybe in an effort to see how much revenue is generated by the editor separate from the initial sales).

Of course, if I am wrong I still hope we will see an editor for it, because who doesn't like editors?

Edited by bardic

Mmm, that implies it's not closed middleware that's the issue so much as just the resources needed to release it, paying staff to make it ready and any licensing fees they have to pay. I guess I can understand the cold economic logic of it, but as a fan my feeling is it sucks that they think that way and don't just take releasing an editor for granted like some other studios do.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Mmm, that implies it's not closed middleware that's the issue so much as just the resources needed to release it, paying staff to make it ready and any licensing fees they have to pay. I guess I can understand the cold economic logic of it, but as a fan my feeling is it sucks that they think that way and don't just take releasing an editor for granted like some other studios do.

They had plenty of time to plan for a release of modding tools though, and the fans made it loud and clear they wanted it from day one. After all this time, it's just another punch in the gut.

They clearly aren't above aligning themselves with the modding community (which has absolutely nothing to do with their game) as a last-second attempt to drum up interest in their product. It's a pretty safe bet that any teasing that they might release an editor if the game sells well enough is delivered with the same intention.

Edited by SneaksieDave

Thief isn't Madden or COD: We do not get a new Thief game every year, or even every half a decade. Modding tools would keep the game alive for much longer than a year because the community would make missions for it.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

They have officially confirmed that there will be no editor for the game. What they did say however is that they 'might' release one if people bought enough copies of Thief 2014 to get a sequel greenlit. <_<

Heh, I guess if a sequel is greenlit the technical coders, Bob and Angelique (notice one is female to be politically correct, and french because it is Canada) may not have as much to do during the planning stages and could justify some billable hours by prepping an editor release. Given that the community has an editor for every Thief game to date, and the amazing things they have done with them, releasing an editor should be seen as a major part of the game's success and planned for from the beginning.

Bob and Angelique (notice one is female to be politically correct

Right, because nobody would hire an icky girl as a programmer if they didn't need to be politically correct. :rolleyes:

Much of the original Thief was already made by politically correct womynz. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

It would be smart of them to release an sdk for the new Thief game, it keeps fans actively involved in playing the game for a much longer period of time (and more likely to buy it in the first place) and making fan missions while they work on a sequel. And the Thief fans will make end up making more authentic Thief missions than those actually in the game. ;) They should be like id, let the fans have fun with their mods, making new missions, etc., and it ends up being a big plus for the game.

Just playoing the blossoms level and mane the architecture is awesome.

It is really captivating isn't it. Did you notice that when you enter, the "john" and "pro" to your right, and the girl playing the harp (er whatever) and the 2 sitting across from her, and the customers in the rooms, you can clip through them... like they're not even there. Its funny you move quietly around them so as not to let them hear you like they're going to react when in fact... they're like static models with no clip on. Like they're not even there. Thoroughly ruins the mood.

Edited by Lux

It is really captivating isn't it. Did you notice that when you enter, the "john" and "pro" to your right, and the girl playing the harp (er whatever) and the 2 sitting across from her, and the customers in the rooms, you can clip through them... like they're not even there. Its funny you move quietly around them so as not to let them hear you like they're going to react when in fact... they're like static models with no clip on. Like they're not even there. Thoroughly ruins the mood.

Why would EM do that? If they put the same detail as they did into Human Revolution Thief 4 could have been something amazing. After looking up those mockup screenshots of a "Thief" game in the Unreal engine it really made me sad that they didn't do something like that

• Like 1