The Dark Mod Forums

Screens/progress Of The Thief Model

Fingernail

I'm like "Why wasnt the mask in the original game??" That's how much I support it.

Look at what Ninja wear. Only just the eyes are visible. Cause white skin really glows in the dark.

I've always wondered why Garrett never bothered with a face mask.

And then of course, it's easier to implement...

When something has this many good reasons, it's a sign.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, maybe it isn't so controversial. :) I'll do up a sketch for the face then.

Sketch me a face indeed - great timing, as I just dug out an ancient, terrible model of a head that I was working on when I first got into character modeling. It was a horrible model for a normal person, as its facial features were way too thin, and most character models are Action Hero type people. For a thief, tho, it's great. And on the awesome side, I made a fantastic nose. Hell yes.

So, yeah, knock up a quick face sketch for me please thx.

You might have to wait for the weekend though...I'm really bogged down at the moment. :blink:

I also like the masked face look. Makes sense from a need-to-stay-hidden standpoint. I think it can be pulled off as long as we can avoid him looking like a ninja in the face. I may be wrong, but I think it might be a combination of a few things: (1) 'percent of coverage,' (2) 'angle at which the cloth is worn' and (3) 'tightness on the face' that gives ninjas the ninja look that many of us are accustomed to seeing.

However, it might be worth researching classic/medieval thief attire, if such a thing exists. Perhaps dark makeup was used instead, or something?

Either way, if we need to lock something down now, I'd be cool with using the masked face.

I didn't like T:DS in that they showed Garrett's face in the light a lot. I think we should try to keep a certain 'mystique' of our character's appearance. Whether that be done by his face always being in the shadows in cutscenes/art, or a good portion of his face being covered by cloth, or a combination thereof -- I'd be a happy DarkMod camper :)

as long as we can avoid him looking like a ninja in the face.

I agree, and I wasn't suggesting that look. He would have a normal hood covering the top of his face, but a piece of cloth covering his mouth and nose. I'll be able to post a drawing by the weekend. I also like the idea of having his face always in shadow. Preserve the mystique, definitely.

Edited by Springheel

I know I haven't gotten you that face sketch yet (it's coming), but something bugged me about this face right away. I'm pretty sure it is that the face seems very long. If the eyes were really that high, then it makes it look like the hood has virtually no thickness at all (in order to accomodate the top of the head). How difficult is it to lower the eyes a bit? That would also allow a little more of the forehead to show.

I'll be trying to crank out some sketches for this and some other stuff this weekend, too. Not to do double-work, SpringHeel, but to try and get different brainstormed ideas on it. I've already got one sketch on it, just need to clean it up and scan it in.

TGIF!!!!

There are so many things we need sketches for, I'm not sure it makes sense to do multiple versions of the same thing.... :huh:

Edited by Springheel

The face sketch is here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=S...3&st=0#entry796

I wasn't sure whether a side view was necessary...if you'd like one just let me know.

I actually went out and finally got around to guying a book on anatomy last night, finally. Before now I wasn't nearly good enough to justify it, but now... :)

Yes, the face was way too long, from about the eyes down, so I shifted it all down a bit (including the neck). Is a lot better now. Will put up some screens later, but right now I'm trying to make some hands. I hate hands.

Presumably you're making a sort of mid-poly version, which can be scaled up for the highpoly bumpmap reference, and down for the low-poly ingame mesh, right?

Because the highpoly one can afford to have veins, seams, threads, buttons, creases, the whole caboodle of detail.

So it's probably best to start in the middle, which is what is looks like you've done. Good work. :)

I actually went out and finally got around to guying a book on anatomy last night, finally. Before now I wasn't nearly good enough to justify it, but now... :)

Yes, the face was way too long, from about the eyes down, so I shifted it all down a bit (including the neck). Is a lot better now. Will put up some screens later, but right now I'm trying to make some hands. I hate hands.

Awesome. Glad to hear you have reached that stage of your artistic development. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Am actually home for the weekend right now, so I'm not gonna get any more work done till I get back to my dorm. But on the plus side, I think I've picked out the hardware for a new-ish computer - a 2.8 GHz Xeon machine with an open slot for a second SPU when I scrape the cash together, and 1.5 gigs of RAM. Awwww yeah. Once I run this by a few of my friends who are better with hardware, I'll order it and put it together. :D BTW, Springheel - awesome sketch of the face, it'll be great for what I need.

ThiefNew5.jpg

(Ignore the blue thing)

This just about the final "medium poly" version - it needs two belt buckles, and then it's done. The next step will be bumping it up to high poly - this is where I make the clothing look less painted on, give the mask thing some volume so it looks less like a hospital mask, make the hood look like wool instead of plastic, and so forth, as well as adding wrinkles, creases, and a lot more detail all over the place.

In other words, this is the hard part. :D

So, vote time. Do you guys want me to keep working on this, or should I pause on it, work on the "Honestly it's not a Hammerite" guy? Either is fine for me, so it's your preference that will guide my decision.