The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4: Tweaks & Fixes:

Bikerdude

Now, has anyone worked out how to get rid of the fog? :smile:
The thread-starting post has a fix that seems to cause undesirable effects. The one I've used is similar: go to Thief\ThiefGame\Config\ThiefGame.ini and under [Engine.WorldInfo] replace

mFog=(mbEnable=TRUE, mbEnableOutdoor=TRUE, mbEnableColor=TRUE

with

mFog=(mbEnable=TRUE, mbEnableOutdoor=FALSE, mbEnableColor=FALSE

Before/after. Some (hand-placed?) fog will still remain though, architect's house in particular.

Thanks chedap - I've got that tweak from a TTLG thread but didn't really notice much difference. :(

Some (hand-placed?) fog will still remain though, architect's house in particular.

That's the type of fog I'd like to get rid of. Before my performance boost from the driver update, I thought getting rid of the fog might improve the fps rate. Now I'd like to get to rid of it coz to my mind it just looks ridiculous (architect's house being a case in point).

However, there's a comment after this article as follows (the article is a year old, mind, so maybe it doesn't apply):

And good old fog, the classic technique to mask terrible draw distance and bad textures.

Does this mean that getting rid of the fog could actually lower performance because the engine would have to render all the surface textures instead of just the fog texture? :unsure:

I thought getting rid of the fog might improve the fps rate
Well you could also try going to ThiefEngine.ini under [systemSettings] and disabling ambient occlusion, DoF and motion blur. There are also values for shadow resolution, but you'll have to find suitable numbers yourself.

Does this mean that getting rid of the fog could actually lower performance because the engine would have to render all the surface textures instead of just the fog texture? :unsure:
Doubt it, it just makes higher-res objects and textures pop-in a bit more noticeable. Edited by chedap

[Game Breaking Bug]

Save keeps restarting at the Clocktower ad-infinatum, Whenever I try to go to Stonemarket, it loads me back again beside my bed. I actually managed to play this level fine first time round. However, when I was on my way to meet Basso, the guards saw me so I reloaded a save (like I usually do as per normal) and that's when this thing started happening.

On the official forums and the Steam forums there were numerous reports that in Thief-2014 showed a bug that prevented further passage of the game, and perhaps partly spoiling the previous save. We strongly recommend that before you start to make a backup folder sohraneniyami.Stim version saves stores at:Steam / userdata / {user_ID} / 239160/remote

Haha, looks like they actually managed to create a DST bug... or something. For me the trouble started today but I played fine yesterday so not sure if it's DST, but it sure seems related.

A lot of people are reporting it so I assume it will be fixed pretty soon. I'm not going to change the system clock just to play a silly game, I can wait a couple days :rolleyes:

Trouble is, while messing around I deleted the last save so now I have to play The Hidden City from the start... :angry:

Even though there has been no official level editor, etc. released (yet) for the new Thief game, because it uses the Unreal 3 engine, with it's technical aspects being very familiar to many; I wonder if a partial mod of sorts might be possible to correct the game's interface/graphics and so on more towards a proper Thief look and feel (like the custom mod settings that were made for Thief III to make it more accurate to Thief, before the TDM got started)? Hmm...

Even though there has been no official level editor, etc. released (yet) for the new Thief game, because it uses the Unreal 3 engine, with it's technical aspects being very familiar to many; I wonder if a partial mod of sorts might be possible to correct the game's interface/graphics and so on more towards a proper Thief look and feel (like the custom mod settings that were made for Thief III to make it more accurate to Thief, before the TDM got started)? Hmm...

If they'd release an editor and open up for modding there would be a lot of possibilities for custom maps and changes to the UI, adding in new models and so on.

Like, look how Tripwire has done with Red Orchestra, completely opening up for modding. Modders can create vehicles, weapons, uniforms and maps.

They even had a total mod turn into a game of its own, and the devs of that mod (Rising Storm) gets income from sales and created their own studio.

Now, if Eidos has any interest in doing this is another question, but it would surely extend the life of the game if people could mod it.

Imagine someone starting to create FMs for Thief in this engine, it would be great, even if a modder would not be able to create the same level of insane detail which is in the full game.

even if a modder would not be able to create the same level of insane detail which is in the full game.

Don't challenge TDM mappers :ph34r::laugh:

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

‹|–+eÖÆ5ê¨SUs^öÛTÍA¼äúネùÙ¤Lc ÉöÝ¥ñU–=~Óý³gq)µ’Ý?gK

=(*•Œ}g>çMmÏl"(¿GpáŒlÿR£þÉ…ºúYZ´íÿÏ*N_çÎøÙøˆ

ÕLj×é›óyÇûâ+¢¬ÁBþ'ýLï«×æ ª³ÎË*7æm,µVá[,“9ðŽy“Ø8v$¥GŠ77ø™óEMgcšÔ,‡ ÀBÛÿgõÌþì™wÞÐÀ'ÔI…ZU(®|L‡e¶NâüÓ+UÍ:å9a8Ø4G}]|ÐW‡§Œþî´KµÆÛòø¿Y½bñ‡J¬ÎBõ.[‹Ô”%[ø+ÉD^þGwÄùj;û=Š ÖìÄhø5t>‘=Ysë»)¾~š"ø2Ž„[H¶$:žÊùíÉ×ëS

'é®WÙSµcÏR‹š¶=/b/¦ÙJ+äIpz9¦ÝnkJ“ÕÞ Á„i}j®{¡ûè k]µ¢ŠFâu\úñ˜aÜs¦Ü)óòçnÔø™€

^like that

But there's like 50 pages of that jargon.

Edited by Deadlove

Just follow the directions that were given for doing so, it's all outlined in the post.

For anyone who's never used a hex editor before, this may help:

1. Download and install HxD hex editor (other hex editors are available but this has always been enough for me).

2. Find thiefgame.u (in Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\) and make a backup copy.

3. Open thiefgame.u in HxD.

4. Search for the relevant hex values using 'Ctl + F'. NB: Datatype in the 'Find' box must be set to 'Hex values' (the default setting is text-string, which won't work).

5. Then do a 'Paste write' ('Ctl + B') (not 'paste insert') of the new hex value.

6. Save. That should do the job.

The only issue I had was that the hex values you're looking for can vary depending on whether Steam has applied a patch or not. There's a few different values in this thread at TTLG - the first set of hex values I tried in HxD came back with 'Not found', but then I tried a set from another post and it worked.

HTH.

Thanks!

Now I just need to get rid of Garrett's hand/jump/etc. animations, fix the running/crouching screen ratio change, and make a light gem that has more than 3 levels of alert (hidden, partial, visible).

I'd also love free jumping and leaning keys, but that's wishing.

Edited by Deadlove

Just to flag an alert up about updating nVidia card drivers - I've started having major laptop issues since updating my nVidia drivers, including freezing and BSODs which I never had before. There's some evidence it's related to the gfxdrivers, but the problems have remained even though I've installed an earlier OS backup, so there may be other reasons as well. (However, googling 'nvidia driver update causes blue screen' brings up lots of pages....) Up to my eyes with other stuff so don't have time to explore further - will report back when I can.

(I've added this to my earlier post too.)

Wow, things look so much better without that shroud.

What's the key you have to hit to go through those thin corridors full of crates and boards that hide loading screens? I think I've found one but I can't seem to get through it.

Initially you have to Hold E by default to start the animation, tapping it won't work. I had several times initially when I forgot which key it was and tapping E proved useless and confusing as it did nothing.

But yeah, like Airship said, same key you press to go through windows.