The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4: Tweaks & Fixes:

Bikerdude

In my reading of the relevant thread, the democratic weight was against the idea, so it was simply outvoted and rejected.* IMO that puts it in the realm of not going in the official package, but if an individual fan wants to make their own local fix and put up instructions or a patch for like-minded people than they could do that.

There are so many ideas that have been tossed around that don't get consensus or the designers behind them and get left out, but that's just the way things (realistically have to) work in a big, group project like this. This is the difference between TDM and something like a patch run by a single person.

* Edit: Actually we're not even democracy in the sense that, while fans can submit suggestions that will be heard out, and we have democratic-like discussions, the lead designers get the last word, and I think Spring's position was clear in that thread.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Developers are usually working on three or four things simultaneously, with a list of about a dozen other things that they would love to be working on if they had more time. Adding something else to that list generally requires that a developer come to care enough about the issue to make it happen. This change doesn't have much going for it in that regard. It's not game-breaking, or even especially annoying, nor has it resulted in complaints from more than one person (multiple complaints from the same person doesn't count). It's not the kind of change that's liable to give a developer any sense of personal satisfaction either.

It's not the kind of change that's liable to give a developer any sense of personal satisfaction either.

I would see this differently as it affects the basic UI and any improvement there will be visible to all users, many of which might wish for something like that but do not complain here. In comparison many smaller bug fixes on the tracker most people would not even notice! Of course doing a big graphical change or something is more satisfying, I know this myself from Bloodlines. Nevertheless, I can only hope that someone will take a look at this one fine day and if it is an easy thing to do, just do it on the side. If it is too complicated, I understand that it won't be done...

New Blackjacking is a takedown move, terrible choice for a thief-like game IMHO.

Errata corrige!

It's possible with a focus ability.....

• Level One: Allows Garrett to stun an enemy in one blow. (With Focus Vision active, target the enemy's chest and attack)

• Level Two: Knock an opponent out with one hit. (Using Focus Vision, target the enemy's head and attack)

After all these months and patches I start liking *a little bit* nuthief :ph34r:

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

It's possible with a focus ability.....

Maybe, but you don't need it. If you are close enough and the takedown key appears you can't fail in nuThief...

Compared to that it's easy right now to fail at black jacking in TDM, but I read that this will be improved in 2.02!

The takedown animation is realistic but so much long.....it's really a break for the gameplay.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I bought Thief 4 from Steam and installed it fine & can play it fine, but am having game play issues that are related:

When I load Saved games or try to "Continue" or I try to load auto-saved points to play from I get a black screen and a CTD!

I've emailed Square Enix and they said do this & that, which I did insofar as settings and doing a thief game rollback to 1.4

Still have Saved games, "Continue" and auto-saved point loading problems as I get the black screen & CTD which follows.

Can anyone possibly help me?

I've tweaked the respective files, per this website, and have current drivers for my stuff..Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 Ghz

8 GB of RAM

Nvidia GTX 260 card

Realtek audio codecs

UPDATE:

I tried to use the new Nvidia beta driver for my graphics card thinking that would help.....It doesn't!

Thank you,

Stefos......I'm waiting for a fix Taffers! ;)

Edited by stefos

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to pick up bodies once you've dropped them? If so, what key? I've tried everything I can think of without success.

I tried that and couldn't do it. Maybe it was a bug. Or is there something special you need to do to make it work?

Are the bodies supposed to highlight?

I don't exactly recall but don't you have to hit E to use them vs. frobbing them or something. I thought it was a different key to grab bodies. There are like 3 different interact keys for different things, try the others.

Edited by Lux

I looked at everything in the keybinding menu and nothing seemed to work...but then, the keybind menu doesn't seem to list the key to go through loading screens either.

I've uninstalled it or I could look it up. I was thinking defaults were like, right click, E, and maybe F/Q but can recall. Have you tried pressing every key on the keyboard and all mouse buttons. :P

I also don't recall if the bodies highlight however it seems like they didn't because I remember having to crouch to get at them because standing up never seemed to be close enough to grab them.

Yeah, it's frob, but you have to hold it down for a few seconds. I suppose that makes sense given Their control scheme, but some kind of feedback would be nice.

• 7 months later...

Would be great. Could only find one INI option below. Could not find any to hex-edit in the U-files yet either.

The animated portion of the white reticle icon when aiming the bow can scale to zero and turn off below. The fixed portion of the white reticle is still visible and does not scale though. Obviously the INI option is useless when the entire white reticle icon can be scaled to zero and turned off by starting a new game with the built-in custom difficulty and no reticle option, although too late if already mid-game.

[ThiefGame.ThiefUIMarksmanCrosshairs]
mMinimumScale=0.f;
mMaximumScale=0.f;
;mMinimumScale=1.f; originally
;mMaximumScale=4.f; originally

in file, \ThiefGame\Config\DefaultUI.ini
(ignore file, ThiefUI.ini)

• 3 years later...

Trainer with NOCLIP mode -

• I found and confirmed this is working, it allows the player to explore all part of a given map, its not full free-camera mode( you limited up/down, left/right, forward/backward and Garret can still die a. But I found it immensely useful for NOCLIP'ing through those annoying bloody animated windows and taking screenshots from inaccessible area's - mega
Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Disable Shroud and white flash -
    • Goto Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\
    • Make a backup of thiefgame.u
    • Download this utility: decompress.zip and unzip decompress.exe, put it anywhere.
    • To disable shroud:

Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD CC 4C 3F 36 3D 00

Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 36 3D 00

• To disable white flash:

Search for Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E CD CC CC 3E A4 3D 00

Replace with Hex-value: 3E 9C DE F4 3E 9C DE F4 3E 00 00 00 00 A4 3D 00

• Tweaking "in shadow" proxy light: - disabling this is not recommended, so I added tweaks to reduce the range of the light instead.

Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 B4 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

for half range (180), Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 34 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

for 1/4 range (90), Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 b4 42 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

• To Disable "in light" proxy light:

Search for Hex-value: 00 00 00 00 00 96 43 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

Replace with Hex-value: 00 00 00 0A D7 23 3C 14 38 00 00 00 00 00 00 28

Save and fire up the game.

Does anyone still have access to the decompress.exe tool referenced above? The link is apparently dead. I wanted to have another technical look at Thief 4, but that black shroud really makes it unbearable.

Please demonstrate how you unpack a compressed file with a hex editor. That might be just the skill I'd like to pick up... ;-)

Edit: Maybe I should've quoted the whole instructions... :-)

Game file hacks - (found onhttps://www.deadendt...f-tools-tweaks)

1. Goto Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\
2. Make a backup of thiefgame.u just in case
3. Download this utility: decompress.zip and unzip decompress.exe, put it anywhere.
4. Drag thiefgame.u onto decompress.exe you should now have a new thiefgame.u in \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\
5. Open \Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\unpacked\thiefgame.u in a hex editor. (For example HxD)

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143411&p=2243039&viewfull=1#post2243039

Just a little correction to my post #53 to remove the shroud

In Steam\steamapps\common\Thief\ThiefGame\CookedPCNG\

To disable shroud - Make a backup of thiefgame.u and then search (in Hex value) for:

02 CD CC 4C 3F 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E
Replace with: 02 00 00 00 00 36 CC 66 36 BC 00 01 9C DE F4 3E

(That remove the very little black glimpse when you enter into the light)

No change to disable white flash :

33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 CD CC CC 3E 38 A9 4C C0
Replace with: 33 33 33 3F 36 18 4D 01 00 00 00 00 38 A9 4C C0

ATTENTION : It works only on the original thiefgame.u whithout decompression (and thus without notification at start of the game). You have to delete or rename the 'unpacked' folder if it exists

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1