The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Cleighmoor (by grayman) (2014/3/1)

grayman

Cleighmoor  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

In Cleighmoor, you'll notice a variation of the "Don't Kill" objective that has been part of the Steele missions.

"Don't Kill" has morphed into "Don't Kill unless it's in self defense".

So a surprise arrow in the back of the head will fail the mission, whereas an arrow in the face of a guard who's coming for you will not.

Congratulations Grayman!

Very fun mission and i'm looking forward to the next installment of the WS series :)

Excellent, congratulations, grayman! I was going to play some more thi4f tonght but with this release, screw that noise.

Diggin in to this right now.

EDIT:

I go in to this last night for about 2.5 hours. I got to the kitchen. When I was searching around the kitchen I found the upstairs storage and after searching it and getting back on the elevator by the fire I noticed there was a letter in the fireplace. I went down and read it and I don't know if it was coincidence or not but after I was done reading and put the letter away, I received, "Mission Failed".

I checked my objectives and there was an X on the "don't kill anyone" objective. ?_? To this point I hadn't even knocked out a single guard and only used 1 water arrow so something going on there. Maybe guards got in a fight or something? No idea. I reloaded my quicksave this morning prior to exiting the upstairs storage and didn't get the fail this time. Maybe a rat got under the elevator? I don't know, that's the only thing I could think of.

The only other thing of note was when going down in to the sewers which was a really well fleshed out area, and difficult with all the guard routes (loved it), under the stairs with the barrels there were a couple rooms with ghost noises playing. After searching the back most room I found boards on the ground covering that square hole. After looking down through the hole I made the decision that it was too far to jump down without hurting myself badly/maybe dying. I did not try to drop down and was careful to stay back from falling in.

Later with the elevator at the end of the sewers taking you up in the, I'll call it a "shed", I overheard a conversation that updated my objectives and then my objectives updated again. I checked and there were two things added and one of them was about "ancient ruins" or something so after reading that, I took the elevator back down to the sewers and went all the way back to the hole in the floor thinking I could jump down through it. It turned out that wasn't possible. So I had to backtrack all the way back to the shed. Because of the distance down from that opening, cautious players may not try to jump in it and then later think that they may have been able to. (Like me, duh) A 2 bar grate over the hole either + or || would keep the player from thinking they could jump down through there. Maybe something to consider.

I probably should have just quicksaved and attempted it while I was there but I was trying not to save.

The sewers are awesome btw, really well fleshed out. I spent a lot of time there. I like the big pump wheel and the roof structure support beams and pipes running everywhere. I also liked the fact that there were dead ends.

Edited by Lux

Congrats on the release. Looking forward to play it. :)

EDIT: Played it now.

Overall it is a solid mission, although not as good as WS1 and WS2 IMHO. I like the sewer area, had a really hard time passing through there. The Cleighmoor compound itself was way more easier to pass through.

I did not finish up much of the optional goals, as I'm a straight forward player. I think the mission is very enjoyable for those who like to explore everything and to complete all goals and read all readables.

Unfortunately I'm none of those, so for me it was an intermediate mission overall. (But that is obviously not your fault).

Anyways, good work on this one and I'm looking forward to your next release. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Very, very good! The sewer area was pretty difficult and cool, and the rest was top notch as well. Loved all the optional objectives. The issues I had with Home Again are still there, though, namely the level being too easy on Expert and you providing too many tools for the player on that difficulty level (I had something like 8 gas arrows at one point). The plot thickens!

I loved the Well! That was some really cool stuff, and the prison block itself is one of the most original I've seen yet.

Congrats on the release. Looking forward to play it. :)

EDIT: Played it now.

Overall it is a solid mission, although not as good as WS1 and WS2 IMHO. I like the sewer area, had a really hard time passing through there. The Cleighmoor compound itself was way more easier to pass through.

I did not finish up much of the optional goals, as I'm a straight forward player. I think the mission is very enjoyable for those who like to explore everything and to complete all goals and read all readables.

Unfortunately I'm none of those, so for me it was an intermediate mission overall. (But that is obviously not your fault).

Anyways, good work on this one and I'm looking forward to your next release. :)

Obs, I really think you should

go do the part with the ancient ruins.... very amazing part of the level you've skipped by just doing what you needed to do

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Just played it, liked it, good job! Was interesting enough for me to read everything and do all obj. Don't know why i carried such an arsenal around with me though. Is the next installment going to be a full scale war?

the 'dream part' was superb!

I think this mission is a good example of not overdoing the architecture/graphics/details but instead spending that energy on other things that make for solid gameplay.

Another excellent mission in this series! The visuals were slightly more plain this time (which figures if it was done earlier than WS 1 and 2), but still on the good-looking side, and the ambience was consistent throughout, ranging from creepy to surreal. A very good use of decals to make the level look dirtier than the base texture work. The characterisation of the various NPCs was also interesting - the gaol appeared a very lived-in place, with its own stories and conflicts. This is an improvement over the police station in WS2, which felt just a little bit neutral.

But, without mistake, this series is setting a very high bar as TDM campaigns go. May we see it come to fruition!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just finished this mission, 6982 loot and nearly 6 hours of playtime. Yikes :)

For me, I did not enjoy it as much as WS2 however there are some things you've done really well here and over all a superb mission and excellent addition to the series! Thank you to grayman and everyone involved for all the work. Massive mission.

@grayman, see my earlier post if you haven't for an odd bug.

I could not find the "very sharp sword" and I don't know if that was just me being obtuse or what :\ I did hear a conversation about it but I heard some of it through a door muffled because I had to close the door because I thought a guard was coming toward me so I don't know if I missed something crucial there.

The sewers were a lot of fun. Really well done, the atmosphere was excellent, everything felt very sewery and the guard patrols were rough so yeah, really enjoyed it. I mentioned earlier I had to make an extra trip down there and actually after I re-read a note I'd picked up I returned a third time to get the key off the guard that went to the dig site so I could collect that loot. A lot of back and forth though for me.

The prison area was initially very confusing to me and I wondered around a lot trying to get the lay of the land. Wasn't till maybe 3 hours in that I was looking through my inventory and remembered that I had maps from WS2! Haha. Duh. I should have taken an inventory at the beginning of the mission...

Patrols, guards with lanterns, just like the sewers this area was difficult to get around in and proved a challenge not knocking anyone out. I especially like the cell block converted from ancient ruins area. Like the sewers, it also had a great sense of place. I thought some of the architecture in the Prison area was lacking in detail geometry though there was ample use of dirty decals/etc. so everything still felt adequate. I'm sure, considering the size of the mission that there were performance considerations and it wasn't jarring as far as the immersion factor goes.

The patrols really stole the focus for me and really made you have to concentrate and not even think about the world too much so it was a good balance.

The dream sequence really turned out pretty neat. I did have a lot of difficulty locating the "Well". I don't know why but man I searched all over hell's creation looking for that thing and I guess I just thought that area was another closed dbl door area. If that readable posting on the left door frame had been on the right side it may have alleviated that a bit because you could see it from a distance and know to investigate.

In any case, the ancient area was pretty cool particularly that later sections of it. I kept expecting one of the ghosts to say something to me. The architecture and mood/lighting/effects in the area were really cool. I've not played a mission anything like that before; very original.

I did notice because I had my lantern on prior to drinking the potion that it was stuck on the entire time I was in the dream. I couldn't turn it off/on. Might add a check for turning off the lantern at the beginning or something. I was worried with the lantern on I'd get spotted or something. Turned out it didn't matter but I reloaded anyway, to shut the lantern off.

The readables as always were superb throughout the entire FM. Lots of backstory, filler, side plots, etc. and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. Can't wait for the 4th installment to see what these people are up to.

WS4... I bet we're in for a bit of a wait on that one. So much work in these last two. Congratulations again on a fantastic FM!

Edited by Lux

Probably the most interesting prison themed FM I've ever played.

I liked these things a lot:

Dig site small side area, the dream temple thing and the way the cell block is setup

I couldn't figure out where to do this optional objective...

putting the map somewhere that the archaeologist would find it.

Edited by GUFF

I couldn't figure out where to do this optional objective: putting the map somewhere that the archaeologist would find it.

Hint: If you follow him around, you'll notice that he repeatedly stops at a desk near the gallows, where he's deposited the junk he's collected around the grounds. The ledger in the lobby includes an entry stating that the desk was put there for Sewell to use.