The Dark Mod Forums

Stopped map

Hello guys,

2 months ago I start to build a really large and complex map, but it seems I have no time to finish it. This map would be an extended remake from an other, old, cool and popular game (of course I don't want to tell here which game is it). I connected the first 2 maps (big castle) + I wanted to join the 3. map (which is a very special map) but I have no more time. I made new terrains and now you can walk into those buildings, levels and parts of the map which was only as "background" buildings in the original game. The original game was linear, but in this case you can make your own ways on roofs...etc. Really-really complex map. The brush works (expect doors) are complely done, but of course you can modify it.

If you are interested in please send me a pm and I'll give any details + and if youwant/can continue the works I'll send the files! I used original Darkradiant materials. I planned to add a crypt level below the castle as a bigger addition, but the time is a big lord...

Waiting for your reply, because I don't want to waste the last 2 months + this great map.

Edited by Giskard_hun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work so far Giskard!

Give me a heads-up per PM if no one has taken over your work so far.

I would archive an asset snapshot on the TDM server and add it to the Abandoned List of FM for anyone interested to proceed your work in furtue.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Some of that architecture is rather good! I hope someone can complete it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

As far as I can tell from the screen shots, and the author admits upthread that it's straight from Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I think it's mission #1), and that he (at the time) was also looking into duplicating the following mission which involved the tram escape off the mountain.

So if someone takes over this map, they need to either:

a - show how the map doesn't duplicate the RtCW mission.

or

b - make enough changes that it's no longer recognizable as such

• 4 weeks later...

Of course, it's up to you. My only target is that someone finish it, because I worked 2,5 months on it and I don't like if it going to waste. Important thing, that I didn't duplicate the original map, because it was impossible (to me). I built it from zero and I had modify it in many parts, because I had to cennect the first 2 maps and many rooms had "collision" problem. For example if you remember there was a room with wine-barrels on the second map. i had to push down with one flooer...etc.

The map is fully nonlinear, which means you can travel on roofs or hallways. But nevermind, if you have to collect the loots, you have to infiltrate in every room. I planned a bonus lower level with undeads as a fully new part (because it would be an earlier status of the castle which is fully locked in the age of rtcw)

To be honest I would like to send the files only in that case if someone say that ok, I'll continue.

Ok, I finished a project (medal of honor cooperative mod) and because Gamespy will be dead and there is no other friendly solution in the horizont, I continue the work on the RTCW map. I checked other fms before it, and I'm 100% sure that I cannot product those professional details by the entities what I saw in other maps, but the brushes and lights will be ok (I hope)