The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Breaking out the Fence (17/03/2014) by Kyyrma

kyyrma

Poll: Breaking out the Fence impressions  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment, fun duration, smooth flow, etc. vs Bugs, boredom, frustration, frame lag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct for bad texturing, etc.

3. 3. Story: Story and text, briefing, graphic storytelling

Kudos on the release...

I must say, having had the honor of seeing this mission develop over time, witness the depth Kyyrma invested in it, his welcoming contributions, and experience its fun myself, nevermind all its other great attributes, I'm delighted everyone else now gets to share in the enjoyment too!

Huzzah!

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

This is the first mission for TDM where we have breakable glass! I know Doom 3 had breakable glass, but up until now all display cases and the like were shatter-proof in TDM.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Congrats on the release Kyyrma. Going to give this a play through tonight :)

Thanks guys!

This is the first mission for TDM where we have breakable glass! I know Doom 3 had breakable glass, but up until now all display cases and the like were shatter-proof in TDM.

At least I can't quickly think of many other FMs where it is used. I think the risk vs. reward element in deciding whether to cause a commotion or finding another way around is great, so hopefully this inspires more mappers to use it.

Edited by kyyrma

Pretty decent small/medium sized mission. I liked that a lot of the things are well hinted at such as the safe combination, all except for one: I couldn't finish the mission legitimately because...

[spoiler]I couldn't find the key to the locked gate in the sewers to find the body of the dead captain. The readable journal in the bar hints that the beggar took the key, but the only place where I'd think the beggar would hang out (in the weird straw bed type thing with the candles on the barrels) turned up nothing. I noclipped around and also found the area with the beggar that has the badge talked about in another readable and a "spider fetish," but also couldn't find a way into that area either.[/spoiler]

[quote name='lost_soul' timestamp='1395038477' post='340666']
[spoiler]This is the first mission for TDM where we have breakable glass! I know Doom 3 had breakable glass, but up until now all display cases and the like were shatter-proof in TDM.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

I remember being able to do this in another mission, I'm certain. The Alchemist, maybe?

Pretty decent small/medium sized mission. I liked that a lot of the things are well hinted at such as the safe combination, all except for one: I couldn't finish the mission legitimately because...

I couldn't find the key to the locked gate in the sewers to find the body of the dead captain. The readable journal in the bar hints that the beggar took the key, but the only place where I'd think the beggar would hang out (in the weird straw bed type thing with the candles on the barrels) turned up nothing. I noclipped around and also found the area with the beggar that has the badge talked about in another readable and a "spider fetish," but also couldn't find a way into that area either.

Unfortunate! You were right on the money with where it is hidden.

It's on top of the two pipes next to the straw bed. There is a glowing mushroom in a bottle right beside it.

I'm adding this in the OP post for future reference, because my testers also found this to be a bit too difficult.

Unfortunately my experience with Diablo ended with the second game. I assume there is a similar character in the third one? I tried looking on the Diablo wiki but I couldn't find him :D

->

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Finished on the hardest difficulty - all objectives completed including the optional one - still a lot of loot to find though

Very impressive mission overall

Regarding the sewer gate key

I have to admit that was one of the first things I found because the lighted mushroom looked interesting

Only one minor glitch and I have no idea how this happened

In the washroom I tried to mantle onto the dresser to have a look at the light area and I fell through it

post-8491-0-96956300-1395077578_thumb.jpg

post-8491-0-82565500-1395077583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

Glad to hear the key didn't give you too much hassle! Nothing would be worse than having players drop the mission / miss out on content because of a badly placed key.

Regarding the glitch you found, it must be because the dresser in question is a re-sized object. It would be easy to fix, but I'll wait and see if more bugs crop up before thinking of issuing a patch.

One other thing and this was annoying as I was caught out by it

In the shop the guards relight the light on the landing by operating the switch from the adjacent room

This is a sequence of screen shots

Waiting with the light out

post-8491-0-16397900-1395079702_thumb.jpg

Guard goes into the adjacent room and closes the door - then the light goes on

post-8491-0-89065000-1395079706_thumb.jpg

The same guard comes out into the lit room and attacks

post-8491-0-34077500-1395079728_thumb.jpg

Nope, correct target, I just checked. ;-)

That's curious, during testing...

...I spent a good amount of time in that room flicking that light off, but they turned it on from within. Now I just recreated that issue, and an AI even went out of the room through the door to turn it on from the wrong side of the wall! *blinks. I do see an extra visportal on that doorway, but in game r_showportals indicates it's working fine, and there's nothing preventing AI from accessing it on the correct side, very funky.

Edit: Sadly, that wasn't a solution, removing the extra had no impact.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley