The Dark Mod Forums

Batman Arkham Origins is meh?

Diego

Is it just me? I was looking forward to this game, I really like both previous games. But I'm finding that, besides the graphics, all is either the same quality or worse. It's clearly made by different people, so different was to be expected.

The combat dynamics feels slightly different, not harder or easier, just different and less fun. I think some basic rules have changed like the ability to cancel a strike to do a counter attack for example.

When gliding (or simply standing) I find it really difficult to find grapple points, even when I can clearly see points that I should be able to grapple.

All arkham games rely on careful positioning of zones that change the player's state, much like assassins creed and so many others. When done well the game works and it's really fun. But in this particular game seems it seems to lack in that aspect. The game is filled with ledges that looks grappable but are not, platforms that looks climbable but are not, holes that look you could crouch under it but cannot etc.

Then there's the new zipline. I think the ability to attach it to enemies as well is incredibly fun! but other than that you can only attach it to specific points. They missed an opportunity to make something as fun as the grapple from Just cause and made one that is even more constrained than the previous arkham's zipline.

But I'm having fun nonetheless. The game looks fantastic! Sometimes I just run around in circles just to look at that beautiful snow with displacement map.

Objectively as a game, it doesn't stand even nearly close to Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. You'll find an abundance of complaints about bugs everywhere you go about this title, a lot of them break the game pretty badly, mind you this is mainly what prevented me from getting it.

All in all, Warner Bros. Montreal didn't do the Arkham game franchise any justice, I guess we need to wait for Arkham Knight.

Edited by MasterHelpo

Nonsense, tomfoolery and abject stupidity, all of which can be found on my channel. (TDM stuff included)

Maybe it was just luck but I didn't encounter a single bug in my entire playthrough. I thought it was actually easier to switch to counter after button mashing mouse 1 also.

I did like a few of the one on one fights because they were really challenging. Its just more about roaming the city and a lot of different story lines vs. one main story line with side missions.

I keep finding new bugs as I play.

This is another one of those cases where I really wish there were names associated with a game instead of companies. I want to know who is responsible for the games I like so I can follow his work. What's the point in knowing it's made by "eidos montreal" if the people in there change completely from game to game? In this case it's not even made by the same company but the point is still valid.

And what about the story?? When I saw the trailers it seemed so exciting! During one night Batman will be hunted down by a series of assassins, all orchestrated by a new villain! But...

oh... it's not Black Mask. It's the Joker. Again.

And you never really feel hunted, some of the assassins are bosses others are side quests etc. DeadShot was ridiculous, he CALLED Batman and said "come here so I can kill you". That's some novel hunting tactics right there.

Edited by Diego

Yepp it was rather meh. Gameplay Mechanics also weren't clearly communicated partly.

Regarding the grappling hook, you have to aim up while flying. Which is kind of a design flaw as far as controls are concerned...

• 1 month later...

The good news is that we have the real sequel to B:AC on the way, Batman: Arkham Knight. :) Apparenly it's going to be huge, far bigger than Arkham City, the biggest game ever made by Rocksteady, so it should be fantastic for Batman to brood from the rooftops as he stalks the entirety of Gotham. :)