The Dark Mod Forums

A few animations polished

Noisycricket

Just put some polish on some animations previously done for TDM for my demo reel and wanted to offer them up if anyone wants them. The walk is totally redone, no more accidental swagger, everything is now animated, forearms, hands, etc and its balanced, with tired/bored/but capable condition attempted. A couple are so different that you might put them in as variations if that would work, i forget. The animations may require a little work to be ready for TDM since i don't think i made sure the beginning and end positions were precisely the same, also, i don't think they started at 0, but 1(for some reason). If you need help, let me know.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/a535jq18d88ec/Revised_animations

• Like 4

That's great, NC, thanks! Haven't looked at the package yet, but is there any chance you could include the maya files of the combat animations you did? We need to make adjustments to one of them to fit the combat code, but can't modify the md5anim files.

Awesome! I can't wait to see them in the game!

Almost every game which has human characters, struggle with getting convincing animations. Personally the game I've seen with the most convincing human animations, is the latest games in the Battlefield series. Horrible level of functionality considering it's a massive title aside, they have absolutely nailed animations.

I always think of this interview when on the topic of animations, where Todd McFarlane speaks about various art decisions in Kingdoms of Amalur. In this time stamp he talks about how they got that great feel when you swing a warhammer in KOA:

@Springheel: I uploaded what i have here. Unfortunately i don't seem to have any sword attack animations anymore, which means they were probably lost in one of the many OZC Agility 2 SSD drive failures i had. https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xrl82shmjjgbz/combat_files

@Kvorning: Yeah the BF series has great animations, lots of coding involved with it too as i understand it to make it dynamic and fluid. They've always been ahead of the game in first person view screen and gun movements too. I used to reference BF2142 as a great example of the perfect running animation in terms of screen head "bob", although i haven't seen it in awhile, im sure its probably been surpassed. The tech used in the new GTA is pretty amazing too.