The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: St Alban's Cathedral v2.0 (11/06/2014)

SirGen

13 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

• Ok
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

So even though the cave isn't finished I still wanted to play this mission again! It's a great one! At first I found the city portion confusing, and I got lost a lot. I eventually just enjoyed exploring it. There were so many buildings that I could actually go inside and so many AIs that it really felt alive, the way a city ought to :D It was really cool to be able to get around the city through the sewers.

The crypts were creepy, and the patrolling ghosts made for great gameplay. The hidden switch that opened St. Alban's tomb was a nice touch.

The level design of the cathedral was my favorite part. Good architecture for sneaking about combined with good patrol routes made for a fun challenge. The readables were nice and some of them made me feel bad for thieving :laugh:

That poor woman lost her husband and is trying to get by, by selling her possessions, and then comes along a creepy curator and a damned thief to make matters worse

Thanks for this great fan mission Bikerdude!

I'll have to play it again when the cave is done.

Also, I think it's awesome that you help out with so many fan missions :D

The latest version on the in gamer downloader includes the fixed caves and also many other refinements.

It came out of beta and was added to the downloader on the 11th June

It is now Version 2

Edited by Oldjim

St Albans Cathedral v2.0

iVuFChTw2xyU0.jpg

"..After most of my gear got snatched during a Watch raid... I've been forced to hit the streets and lower mysef by picking pockets to survive. But my luck was about to change, last night I was approached by a hooded individual with a proposition... The Builders of St. Alban's Cathedral in the Old Quarter had recently unearthed a discovery that he wanted me to recover..."

Build Time:

Lost count at this stage.

Too my beta testers.

Info:

• I have changed some of the Ai in the town, and added to the level of difficulty
  • I have added more Ai in the cathedral
  • On all difficulty levels the player starts with only the basic compliment of tools.
  • For the love of all that is holy, read the briefing otherwise you will have problems completing the mission you taffer!
Known issues:-
  • This mission will have less than optimal fps at a few points on the map, but the performance has been tweaked compared to the previous version..
  • On low end PCs I recommend, V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower and that any and all background apps are closed.
Download links:-

Available via the in-game downloader.

Original Thread:-

First of all top work Bikerdude! This mission is freaking awesome and runs so smooth!

But I need help, preferably in vague hints please

I'm trying to find albans bones but I just can't figure out where, I have switched that switch at the top of the north chandelier and I have flicked the switch at the entrance to the cathedral (you know the doors that lead to the crypt with the two ghosts walking around) but I just can't figure out what to do next.. other than those two cryptic plaques and that stone in one of the upstairs bedroom in the church i'm lost for leads. What should I be doing next?

Edited by Goldwell

There was a hint in one of the readables

it was underground or words to that effect

This hint isn't vague as you are nearly there

Have a look in the tombs - one should have opened by itself

hm I went through and checked every tomb.. maybe I just didn't look hard enough, will try again. Thanks!

At first I found the city portion confusing, and I got lost a lot. I eventually just enjoyed exploring it. There were so many buildings that I could actually go inside and so many AIs that it really felt alive, the way a city ought to :D It was really cool to be able to get around the city through the sewers.

The crypts were creepy, and the patrolling ghosts made for great gameplay. The hidden switch that opened St. Alban's tomb was a nice touch.

The level design of the cathedral was my favorite part. Good architecture for sneaking about combined with good patrol routes made for a fun challenge. The readables were nice and some of them made me feel bad for thieving :laugh:

That poor woman lost her husband and is trying to get by, by selling her possessions, and then comes along a creepy curator and a damned thief to make matters worse

Thanks for this great fan mission Bikerdude!

Also, I think it's awesome that you help out with so many fan missions :D

Just finished the mission, very very well done Bikerdude! My only wish is that the map was a little bit more detailed and some points were a bit more obvious but all over all I thoroughly enjoyed that mission. Crawling through that claustrophobic city was just great! Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome mission, thanks for updating it. Just a minor complaint: it's often difficult to start climbing some ladders down, mainly in narrow holes - I keep falling and taking damage. And a question:

I'm pretty sure I found a sword somewhere in the previous version - where is it now?

• 4 weeks later...

Great stuff. I never played the first versions but this was very nice. A combination of city, sewers and a hammer cathedral all in one. Lot of hidden stuff to find. Big mission.

I only found just over 3/5 of the loot and continued exploring and found the rest of it. One of your best missions for sure.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really great mission, well done! Loved the mapping, very detailed... I especially enjoyed the cathedral, with the addition of the tavern and the cove (yay for friendly NPC's). Story was good enough, puzzles also challenging. Hope you plan to make more like this!

• 1 year later...

Is this a bug?

The clue above the chandelier indicates that the switch (the one next to it) is supposed to cause the dead to "awaken from their slumber". That indicates the switch is supposed to trigger the two ghosts to start walking around the crypt. Yet the ghosts where walking around there when I first climbed up through the sewers, before I flipped that switch. Was this intentional?

That is not a bug. Look for...

...a stone plaque near the crypt entrance.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That is not a bug. Look for...

...a stone plaque near the crypt entrance.

I forgot to mention that I completed the mission. This particular part of the mission just seemed like it might not be intentional is all.

Edited by Brisk

Ah, okay. It was always that way, so it must have been intentional.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 months later...

Stuck: I broke into the watch tower (under the bell tower) and got a bunch of my gear, sword arrows, but no black jack, no scope/lantern and the objective

won't complete. I've searched the watch tower from top to bottom including sewer entrances, but still that objective won't complete.

Hint please!

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/