The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful 2 by Melan and Bikerdude (2014/07/8)

Melan

@Guff/Obs/Esme, something else is going on here as neither melan, myself or the beta testers had this issue. have you completed all the objectives?

Can you guys upload your savegame's so I can have a look, also what difficylty levels were you all playing play on?

I have completed all the objectives except the loot objective, which is told to be optional. I'm playing under the highest difficulty setting.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xpcgda1gsv8pfux/savegames.zip

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Your savegame causes TDM to crash citing a gamex86.dll.

@ all players who are saying you cant complete mission - have any of you not completed the option loot objective on what ever difficulty level your playing on..? I ask because I did a test on normal with no loot and the mission would not complete. Looks like a typo crept in before release.

This is one of my new favorite missions! Exploring rewarded me with lots of useful tools and weapons. Speaking of weapons

being able to take the swords from fallen enemies was so cool

:laugh: There were so many unique areas that had their own neat feeling and design like

the place across the street from the locksmith with the over grown plant life. The ambient sound here was especially well chosen. The flowerbeds up above the city with the note, added a nice touch that made the world feel more alive, The sewer/power station area where the thief's journal was found had very good patrol routes that made for some intense sneaking. Out on the streets I used a chair to climb up to a sign that allowed me to get to the roof, where I soon got blown up by a well placed mine protecting a man's window. The ability to get on top of so many roof top areas was great fun.

Thanks for this incredible mission Melan and Bikerdude :D

Edited by SirGen

And how much video ram do you have?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Alas, I think I'm going to have to ask for help.

I have a good selection of keys (five plus a potion, I think, not in game at the moment), and I don't seem to have any locked doors. I seem to have been everywhere, and I've completed the loot objective (on hard) ... but nothing else. I've not use the potion, and I don't think I've used the gaol key. I've used both the sewer and generator key, but that just led me in a circle back to the sewer I found at the start.

What have I missed? I've got a good selection of equipment:

blackjack, one health potion (drunk), a breath potion, lots of water arrows, spyglass,

not sure what else, but I seem to have run out of places to go. I've also been

blown up

twice!

By the way, there's something a bit strange about the guard room where the

gaol key is:

1. The door was wide open -- is it supposed to be?
  2. The back wall opposite the door is transparent and shows sky!

Yeah, it's a large map. You'll probably need to use the image_downsize cvars to lower the texture memory usage.

Make sure these are set properly:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useAllFormats "1"

seta image_useCompression "1"

seta image_preload "1"

then try downsizing bump to 512 then to 256

Getting "Malloc Failure for #######" crash-to-desktop

Because Doom 3 is a 32-bit game, it can only utilize a certain amount of RAM. When Doom 3 needs more memory, but cannot allocate anymore, it crashes with an error saying something like

Shutdown event system

--------------------------------------

malloc failure for 3145781

If you run into malloc failures, it is suggested to try the following:

1) Edit your darkmod.cfg and use the following:

seta image_downSizeBump "1"

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"

These will reduce the bumpmap size. Memory impact will be few hundred megabytes lower, at the expensee of very minor blurring of texture quality.

2) If the above does not help you it is recommended you try

seta image_downSize "1"

seta com_videoRam "512" (or however much video RAM you have).

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Getting_.22Malloc_Failure_for_.23.23.23.23.23.23.23.22_crash-to-desktop

if that fails try downsizing image to 512 then to 256:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks

Image downsizing

As a last resort, you may enable image downsizing: at the console, set image_downSize to 1 and then set a limit with image_downSizeLimit, e.g., "image_downSizeLimit" "256". This reduces texture memory requirements and may completely alleviate hard drive thrashing. There are similar cvars for bump and specular maps as well. Note: This may result in very blurry briefing and menu screens.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I just made my way back to the gallows area and taking the mission name literally

climbed as high as I could, to just underneath the toll bridge (could see the sign TOLL in the distance), and I can clearly see part of the map I've not yet visted across the way.

But there doesn't seem to be any way over there. I have

six

keys plus the

hemlock

which am sure will come in handy at some point.

I've definitely got no unlocked doors, I must have missed a hidden entrance somewhere or something.

@Araneidae, have you opened the city gate not far from the start..?

Oh, yes, long back. As I said, I've got the gaol key, I've been into the sewers three different ways (why?). I also noted the skybox showing through the back wall of the guard post (where I got the key) ... but I've not found a use for that key, and I've not found any more frobbable locked doors.

Araneidae I think you might have the very same problem I had. You can deal with it in two ways:

1. Hard way is to jump over from this steep roof under the bridge to the other side. It is possible, I've done it.

2. Easy way is to go back to prison and investigate the balcony up top.

Edited by pusianka

@Guff/Obs/Esme, something else is going on here as neither melan, myself or the beta testers had this issue. have you completed all the objectives?

Can you guys upload your savegame's so I can have a look, also what difficylty levels were you all playing play on?

Pm'd you with a savegame, sorry didn't see this before, went back in and used noclip to fly around a bit, found some loot I'd missed and got over the optional loot objective, then went back to the exit and the mission finished, so it looks like the loot objective isn't optional on expert, I'll go back and hoover the bits up I missed though one of them is a bit of a head scratcher and will require some thought.

Araneidae I think you might have the very same problem I had. You can deal with it in two ways:

1. Hard way is to jump over from this steep roof under the bridge to the other side. It is possible, I've done it.

Thanks, I'll keep trying then -- I'd concluded that the jump was impossible.

2. Easy way is to go back to prison and investigate the balcony up top.

Don't think I've found a prision, which seems odd. I've been to quite a few high places, will revisit them again. Edited by Araneidae

so it looks like the loot objective isn't optional on expert,

it was a typo on my part, as we had a lot of optional and fixed objectives I mixed up which was what. The beta team are doing a quick sanity check of the updated version atm.

Hard way is to jump over from this steep roof under the bridge to the other side. It is possible, I've done it..

Ive also made this easier (and traversable in both directions) to get upto the bridge from a hidden optional route.

Just finished my first playthrough, though I ended up resorting to violence and clocked up 145 "stealth" so I'll be giving it another go pretty much straight away! I loved being forced to explore everywhere and then constantly rewarded with interesting and unusual sights. Technically amazing, the vertical vistas and escapades were top-notch. I think I said before how beautiful and atmospheric it is, but I'll say it again. And thank you for providing so many villains who it felt great to rob instead of the usual lineup of saintly starving widows :D