The Dark Mod Forums

Testers needed: DarkRadiant + wxWidgets

I've installed the new one. Updates on prev issues:

• Lighting preview is now working
  • The camera view window placement is partially fixed. The size is now remembered, but it's still being moved from my second monitor back to the main one. I notice that size and position are restored ok if I place it on the main monitor.
  • Keyboard shortcuts are still being wiped when changing between 1.8.1 and 2.0. Lots get replaced with "VoidSymbol".

I spent a few hours last night doing some intricate patch work in 2.0. It all worked splendidly, and I have only 1 new issue to report. I'll report back with a list of dialogs that I used extensively later so that you can add them to the "tested" list.

That new issue: the Media browser usually doesn't show any previews if you have nothing selected when you click on a new texture name. You get a blank grey square. Sometimes I'm seeing odder behaviour:

post-29566-0-75659800-1405850670_thumb.png

The bottom 30% only of each texture preview is being shown in the top 30% of the preview pane. And it's slightly displaced to the left, leaving an empty grey stripe to the right of the preview panel. This only happens when I've got nothing selected. When I select an object in the map and click on a new texture, it corrects itself and shows the full preview properly positioned, so the workaround is easy enough.

I'll file a report.

Edited by SteveL

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just crossed out the line above on keyboard shortcuts. I only just read your message from this morning on the tracker issue, to the effect that changing from 1.8.1 to 2.0 is supported, but not the other way round. My problem this morning was caused by going back and forth.

I just refreshed the 1.8.1 file and then opened and closed DR2 a couple of times, to simulate an upgrade from 1.8.1. I can confirm that that works fine now: the main shortcuts listed above are stable. I did lose at least one custom binding (CTRL+\ for SelectionModeGroupPart), but that's no big deal.

Hmmm. I just checked it and you're right. Which is a complete mystery, because that file is the unchanged since I backed it up before my 2.0 install, and I use that shortcut frequently. But it must have gone missing prior to the install. I've mainly been using DR for LOD testing in the last couple of weeks, not modelling, so it could have got reset a few days earlier somehow.

I'm completely confused about how that happened, but I did just try it again by pasting in the line from a previous backup and it did get wiped out when I opened 2.0pre2. Here's the line from my previous backup:

<shortcut command="SelectionModeGroupPart" key="backslash" modifiers="CONTROL"/>

after opening DR2, the line is changed to:

<shortcut command="SelectionModeGroupPart" key="" modifiers="CONTROL"/>

Light preview now works but the z-fighting artifacts still exist. I'm hesitant to open a tracker on this since it's not reported

elsewhere and I have a crappy Intel GPU at the moment. That said the latest 1.8.1 build does not have this artifact problem...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

... the z-fighting artifacts still exist.

Could you try opening up a published fm so we can compare screenshots?

The only z fighting I have seen is with clip textures where they exactly coincide with visible surfaces.

I'll try to grab a screen tonight. Z-fighting is everywhere. Clip textures, vertex blend transitions, alpha transitions, etc. As you move around you see striped what look like

animated stripes scrolling across surfaces. If it works properly for ATI and Nvidia cards then I really feel bad about prompting any further investigation since we all know

that Intel's OpenGL compliance sucks and Greebo (et al) should not be forced to use legacy render methods to overcome these shortcomings.

OK, I've attached a screen.

It seems that this can fairly be narrowed down to transparency behavior, as this may is mostly devoid of the artifacts except

where Biker used some extra grime decals.

Any chance that 0002350 (blendLight render) gets into this release since there are currently some bugs around positioning these in combined entities?

Combined entities aren't shown correcly in DR in the first place, are they? Anyway, I can look into it briefly, but I haven't touched any rendersystem code for a long time now.

Ok, I screwed up big time with the pre3 build, I introduced two major problems. While fixing the MediaBrowser preview I messed up the context-specific texture bindings - textures will be mixed up in the camera view even though the user selects the correct one in the MediaBrowser.

Also, Refresh Shaders doesn't work when a map is loaded, because it's disallowed to call glBindTexture from a thread, it appears.

I have to think about how to fix these two while keeping the benefits of the changes.

Here's another minor but weird one. I'll post a pic here since I haven't found out how to do it on the tracker. I thought it was impossible tbh until I saw grayman do it last week. Anyway, the entity inspector misaligns the team spawnarg:

post-29566-0-45973900-1406315952_thumb.png

Downloaded pre4

1. As per the latest build of 1.8.1 there is a delay and then a stutter for while if you look around in camera view.
  2. This may have been reported already but, loading a lap takes a very long time (2x as long as 1.8.1) and when shutting down DR looks like its doing a save and taking as long to shutdown as it did to load the map it opened.

The texture tab has got a bit broken in the latest fixes. When I switch between tabs and switch back to the texture tab, it'll often make the texture previews very small. Sometimes the grid of preview panels will slip partly out of the viewable area, like the preview pane in the media browser did before. But the mouse-click detection still thinks the preview panels are big and placed centrally. When I right-click blank grey areas of the texture tab, I see the names of textures that *should* be there.

Plus, only a minority of the textures will paste to my selected patch. The same textures that won't paste from the browser won't paste using CTRL+MMB either, so I'm possibly stumbling on 2 unrelated issues here. Other textures will paste ok.

I'll file a tracker issue if I can isolate any of the behaviour and come up with a coherent report.

Edit: And the previous bug pictured above, media browser with displaced texture, is still happening.

Here's another minor but weird one. I'll post a pic here since I haven't found out how to do it on the tracker. I thought it was impossible tbh until I saw grayman do it last week. Anyway, the entity inspector misaligns the team spawnarg:

Fixed in source.

Downloaded pre4

1. As per the latest build of 1.8.1 there is a delay and then a stutter for while if you look around in camera view

Are you talking about 2.00 or 1.8.1? Is this right after map loading or anytime you switch into camera freelook mode?

This may have been reported already but, loading a lap takes a very long time (2x as long as 1.8.1) and when shutting down DR looks like its doing a save and taking as long to shutdown as it did to load the map it opened.

Which map and what size are we talking about exactly? On shutdown (even in debug builds), I can confirm that the brush counter is going down to 0, but this doesn't take near as long as loading the map, so I don't experience it as bad as you. After that brush-count-down step DarkRadiant quits pretty much immediately.

Which map and what size are we talking about exactly? On shutdown (even in debug builds), I can confirm that the brush counter is going down to 0, but this doesn't take near as long as loading the map, so I don't experience it as bad as you. After that brush-count-down step DarkRadiant quits pretty much immediately.

Its happening on ANY large map, in this example my WIP map (thief - 15Mb, 12k brushes, 4k patches, 3.5k entites) in the beta mapper folder. Also I have noticed the additional delay is being caused direcly before you get the 'loading shaders popup', you see a load of counting hapening in the "brushes : patches : entites" box. And you see this same counting activity after closing DR.

And I was refering to 2.0 in comparison to 1.8.1

Hello, i have a problem in 2.00 pre alpha version, i use windows layout "regular" :

for this sreen i use version 1.8.1 (work good)

1406423650-dark-r.png

but in 2.00 impossible to open media browser in windows layout "regular", work only for windows layout "regular left" (default) .

I can confirm that the GroupDialog is not showing when trying to switch to the EntityInspector or the MediaBrowser in "Regular" layout. Can you please add an entry to the bugtracker, I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that since 1.8x and the switch to VC++12, I have not been able to get darkradiant to start on XP SP3, investigating.

I have VC++12 and 13 installed as well as various windows sdks

EDIT:

It appears to be a solvable problem with VC++12 and "multitargeting" xp and later versions of windows, see here:

more details are here:

http://stackoverflow...754251#14754251

Filing a bug report.

Edited by own3r