The Dark Mod Forums

Testers needed: DarkRadiant + wxWidgets

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I might have a go at those dependencies then.

On my laptop I have windows 7 I found the browse for folder when selecting the game DIR was not able to appear on the "first run" of the editor. This works fine when you have ignored the first run window and access it from inside the editor.

Darkradiant preferences you can shrink the window and the text becomes hidden and no scroll appears so options are hidden, some by default.

When loading ASE or LWO files (when set in quake4 mode) the model viewer causes the program to crash.

Edited by own3r

On my laptop I have windows 7 I found the browse for folder when selecting the game DIR was not able to appear on the "first run" of the editor. This works fine when you have ignored the first run window and access it from inside the editor.

Thanks, I was able to reproduce and fix that (#3810)

Darkradiant preferences you can shrink the window and the text becomes hidden and no scroll appears so options are hidden, some by default.

Fixed as well (#3811).

When loading ASE or LWO files (when set in quake4 mode) the model viewer causes the program to crash.

Can't reproduce that, but I don't have Quake4 on my system, just D3 and TDM. Maybe the func_static entityDef is missing?

Strange behaviour is present with the 2D grid:

Deleting brushes can leave the "size bars" behind until the grid view is updated (scrolling or moving)

Moving the camera in 3d is not reliably updated on the 2d grid

(Some of the code works though:

If the user uses the middlemouse on the 2d view to rotate the camera the view updates as it should and so does the camera.)

It is hard to see models or brushes on the default darkradiant theme in the 2d grid (see below)

post-3084-0-94385000-1407672282_thumb.jpg

Edited by own3r

Strange behaviour is present with the 2D grid:

Deleting brushes can leave the "size bars" behind until the grid view is updated (scrolling or moving)

Moving the camera in 3d is not reliably updated on the 2d grid

Did you check the option: "Update views on camera movement" in the Settings > Orthoview section?

It is hard to see models or brushes on the default darkradiant theme in the 2d grid (see below)

That depends on the default colour brushes get assigned by the .def files. Worldspawn brushes are black on my end, which I think comes from the colour scheme. entityDefs can override the colours IIRC.

Personally, I agree that the DarkRadiant default scheme is not my favourite, I always use Maya/Max/Lightwave emulation.

Did you check the option: "Update views on camera movement" in the Settings > Orthoview section?

Sensible default option?

That depends on the default colour brushes get assigned by the .def files. Worldspawn brushes are black on my end, which I think comes from the colour scheme. entityDefs can override the colours IIRC.

Personally, I agree that the DarkRadiant default scheme is not my favourite, I always use Maya/Max/Lightwave emulation.

I have had significant problems with getting a working "def" file because I have a custom game not anything ID. When I get lights to show up they project a strange specular colour (though correct normal and diffuse). When reloading the map the lights appear to still be there but are not visible in the 2d/3d views as entities

I think a lot of my problems are def file related, do you have a working set of Def files I could use?

Edited by own3r

Sensible default option?

Indeed it's sensible, because in large maps this can cause serious lagging when each tiny camera movement triggers a full redraw of the orthoview (there might be multiple ones in Floating layout, for example).

I have had significant problems with getting a working "def" file because I have a custom game not anything ID. When I get lights to show up they project a strange specular colour (though correct normal and diffuse). When reloading the map the lights appear to still be there but are not visible in the 2d/3d views as entities

I think a lot of my problems are def file related, do you have a working set of Def files I could use?

I guess the strange specular comes from a "Shader not found" image being used as specularmap, though I can't be sure. Sorry, I don't really have a list of minimal assets that are necessary to run DarkRadiant, I've always been in a idTech4 environment myself. I know about func_static and func_emitter classes, also info_player_start, but some of them might be settable through the .game info files.

Just got the doom3 demo to test that.

Noticed the "entity editor window" bottom left defaults to a size smaller than it's contents.

On the doom3 demo and other content I noticed the model preview does not work

File saving appears to be buggy. First I created some lights, then reloaded the file to find they were filtered out so disabled the filter. Then played with them some more and saved it. Upon reloading the entities appeared unchanged. This was true with func_static models and geometry too they did not appear to be saved either. It was not always the case though, when the filename was changed the changes were saved.

Noticed the "entity editor window" bottom left defaults to a size smaller than it's contents.

I'll check into that.

On the doom3 demo and other content I noticed the model preview does not work

Any error message, or crashes?

File saving appears to be buggy. First I created some lights, then reloaded the file to find they were filtered out so disabled the filter. Then played with them some more and saved it. Upon reloading the entities appeared unchanged. This was true with func_static models and geometry too they did not appear to be saved either. It was not always the case though, when the filename was changed the changes were saved.

This sounds serious. I did a lot of saving recently and never changed the filename and it always worked like it should (that part of the code hasn't been changed since 1.8.x on top of that). Is the console spitting out anything when you hit a normal save without name change? Any warnings or messages that might indicate what's going wrong?

"Could not locate map format module." error when saving a map.

EDIT: Further investigation showed this to only be a problem when "doom3demo" was set as the game-type, when doom3 was set the problem went away.

I could not replicate the model viewer problem in doom3 demo's content so i'll assume that was a materials problem.

Edited by own3r

A new build is ready for download, called pre5, see the first post of this thread. It contains fixes for a couple of problems mentioned in this thread as well as the projected light improvements.

A new build is ready for download, called pre5, see the first post of this thread. It contains fixes for a couple of problems mentioned in this thread as well as the projected light improvements.

Is it with wxWidgets or 1.8.1 stable with fixes? I was really hoping for projected light fixes to be in 1.8.1 branch.

A big improvement this time. Good job, a lot of the biggest bugs have been squashed.

When you start up the editor the 2d view is corrupted with the black area until you move the view. (this appears without composition enabled)

Searching in the entity creator isn't working, it matches "light" with something unrelated entirely for instance (I know about the shortcut it's an example)

Filters applied in the choose model can apply to the editor in general, which does not look like intended behaviour, filter brushes for instance and the whole map disappears! Same goes of entities etc... when it should be active just for the model.

I noticed that choosemodel fails to show a model when the "realtime lights" are enabled

Minor stuff:

Sometimes the selection from around a newly created brush can remain after it's deselected, but this is hard to reproduce

post-3084-0-76864600-1407969907_thumb.jpg

post-3084-0-33917400-1407970238_thumb.jpg

post-3084-0-65493100-1407971102_thumb.png

Edited by own3r

Is it with wxWidgets or 1.8.1 stable with fixes? I was really hoping for projected light fixes to be in 1.8.1 branch.

It's in the 2.x branch. It's quite possible that the changes can be merged into the 1.8.x branch. But to clarify...

..all my DarkRadiant efforts these days will go into maintaining and improving the 2.x wxWidgets port. I don't plan to do an additional 1.8.x release, my only goal is to get 2.x up to the point where it can replace the old GTK stuff. I invested too much time already (say: about 7 months) into porting the code to wxWidgets, there's no point for me to work on something I want to replace anyway. DarkRadiant 2.x is quite close to the finish line, it's pretty stable already, so I'd like people to help me pushing it to that goal. Unless something really critical happens with the published 1.8.1 build I'm not going to work on it. (As always, the codebase is open and release instructions are on the wiki, so somebody else can still maintain the old GTK stuff. Pretty much a waste of time from my point of view, but hey, people are free to do whatever they choose to.)

So, thanks own3r for testing, I'll try to see what I can reproduce. Some of these are affecting 1.8.x as well I guess since but that doesn't matter. Can you please open tracker entries for the things you believe are reproducIble?

Searching in the entity creator isn't working, it matches "light" with something unrelated entirely for instance (I know about the shortcut it's an example)

This is working as designed - it's doing a full-text search on the entire tree view. You can navigate through the tree by pressing the UP or DOWN arrow keys.

Filters applied in the choose model can apply to the editor in general, which does not look like intended behaviour, filter brushes for instance and the whole map disappears! Same goes of entities etc... when it should be active just for the model.

I can confirm the behaviour, this is just how it currently works. I agree that it should affect only the preview it's being used on. But as this problem has been present since many versions, I'm not going to make it a target for 2.0.0. (It's requiring quite a change to the codebase to boot, so I can't just hack it in anyway.) Nonetheless it should be tracked, please open an entry for this on the bugtracker.

I noticed that choosemodel fails to show a model when the "realtime lights" are enabled

Confirmed, please create an entry for this as well. This is also a problem that has been there for years, but it's a LOT of work to fix that behaviour, definitely not an easy change.

Minor stuff: Sometimes the selection from around a newly created brush can remain after it's deselected, but this is hard to reproduce

I think I ran into this in the past but failed to reproduce it as well. If anybody managed to describe how to produce that defect reliably, I'd be grateful.

Got it. Is it safe to work in 2.x branch? (as far as map corruption)

Where can I get Win64 build?

EDIT: Duh, it is in the very first post :)

It's in the 2.x branch. It's quite possible that the changes can be merged into the 1.8.x branch. But to clarify...

..all my DarkRadiant efforts these days will go into maintaining and improving the 2.x wxWidgets port. I don't plan to do an additional 1.8.x release, my only goal is to get 2.x up to the point where it can replace the old GTK stuff. I invested too much time already (say: about 7 months) into porting the code to wxWidgets, there's no point for me to work on something I want to replace anyway. DarkRadiant 2.x is quite close to the finish line, it's pretty stable already, so I'd like people to help me pushing it to that goal. Unless something really critical happens with the published 1.8.1 build I'm not going to work on it. (As always, the codebase is open and release instructions are on the wiki, so somebody else can still maintain the old GTK stuff. Pretty much a waste of time from my point of view, but hey, people are free to do whatever they choose to.)

So, thanks own3r for testing, I'll try to see what I can reproduce. Some of these are affecting 1.8.x as well I guess since but that doesn't matter. Can you please open tracker entries for the things you believe are reproducIble?

Edited by motorsep

Ok, ran it first time and here is what we've got. Find 10 differences between 2 pictures, so to speak:

1.8.1 pre4 (yeah, I haven't upgraded to release yet :/ ): http://i.imgur.com/yzskF1e.png

2.0.0 pre5: http://i.imgur.com/Q4ySRQu.png

I don't understand why wouldn't brushes draw and path corners at least. Are we testing UI only at this time?

Layers and entity window context positioning is off (not a bit deal though).

What game type are you using? Can I have that map? Anything in the console that might give a hint?

Whether I used Doom 3 game, or my custom game (copy of dooom3.game with different name and different paths and stuff), my map only shows partially.

I can upload just map file, but I can't really upload entire content. Is it good enough? Or do you needs models and textures too ? (it's just time consuming to weed all that out)